Turkey feathers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kevin 2

Post by Kevin 2 »

Footed Shaft,
I have always preferred natural gray bars they have just gotten impossible to get. No one raises wild turkeys just the white ones. I do have a few questions.

1. Do you burn the feathers or Die cut them?
2. What type of grinder are you using on the quills?
3. Have you ever tried the Bohning Feather Fletching Tape?

I used to grind and die cut all of my own feathers. Over the years I lost track of my grinder. I am looking for another just don’t know who is making a good one. I would like to here how you are doing it. I have had good luck with the feather fletching tape made by Bohning it is fast, and can be repaired in the field. It works on feathers as good as glue because the quill is soft and porous. It doesn’t work on plastic.

Kevin
footed shaft

feathers

Post by footed shaft »

Kevin,
I split the feathers first,and then clamp them in a unit i built very similar to the unit available in 3 rivers archery catalog.
The grinder is a drum sander clamped in me bench mounted drill press.It is a 2 1/2" drum with 150 grit paper with a delron disk 1/16" bigger than the drum attatched to the bottom of the drum.The disk acts as my guide for the feather clamp to ride against.Pretty crude description,if you need more info PM me and i can give you some links to the sites that i used to build my stuff.Bill :D
footed shaft

feathers

Post by footed shaft »

Come on fellas,sounds like there are lots of birds hitting the ground and i am needing your wing feathers.Like i said before i can come and pick them up if it is local(simcoe to st.thomas)If you are located anywhere east of that let me know, i have a fella willing to get them from you all in the guelph,kitchener,waterloo area. Thanks again Bill :D
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

ttt :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife