Bugs Build along

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Re: Bugs Build along

Post by agingcrossbower »

GaryM wrote:Is that ebony hard to find? Expensive? Gary

Gary its at speciality stores like woodcrafters. And, YES its damn expensive. Comes from south america I believe. The cool part of woods that come from tropical area's like that is there is NO grain because it never stops growing. Pretty cool hey! Makes for a very dense heavy wood that is usually hard. Can only use it for places on the stock that get abused or for accent because of its weight. I think the piece I had was 3/4x3x12 inches and it cost around 20.00. Would'nt would to build a house with it. :D
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Species of ebony include Diospyros ebenum (Ceylon ebony), native to southern India and Sri Lanka; Diospyros crassiflora (Gaboon ebony), native to western Africa; and Diospyros celebica (Macassar ebony), native to Indonesia and prized for its luxuriant, multi-colored wood grain. Mauritius ebony, Diospyros tesselaria, was largely exploited by the Dutch in the 17th century. Some species in the genus Diospyros yield an ebony with similar physical properties, but striped rather than evenly black (Diospyros ebenum).

Was even found as ornamental carvings in ancient Egyptian tombs.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
agingcrossbower

Ont_Excal wrote:Image

Species of ebony include Diospyros ebenum (Ceylon ebony), native to southern India and Sri Lanka; Diospyros crassiflora (Gaboon ebony), native to western Africa; and Diospyros celebica (Macassar ebony), native to Indonesia and prized for its luxuriant, multi-colored wood grain. Mauritius ebony, Diospyros tesselaria, was largely exploited by the Dutch in the 17th century. Some species in the genus Diospyros yield an ebony with similar physical properties, but striped rather than evenly black (Diospyros ebenum).

Excal, thanks for looking that up. Very, very interesting. I assumed South America but that was'nt it. What a great find on that. Thanks!!
Ps. Great Pic To. :D
agingcrossbower

Tara want a 14" draw so here the pic;

Boo got me onto a shape that he wanted and I like to so next is the form it. FUN. :D
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

That is going to be nice when it is done.
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

agingcrossbower wrote:
Ont_Excal wrote:Image

Excal, thanks for looking that up. Very, very interesting. I assumed South America but that was'nt it. What a great find on that. Thanks!!
Ps. Great Pic To. :D
All came from wiki.
Here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebony

What I found interesting is how only the heartwood is dark. Much like our black walnut.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
bugs

Post by bugs »

This is getting fancier than I though! I may have to take in Rocco after Mike spent all that money on wood :lol:
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
agingcrossbower

bugs wrote:This is getting fancier than I though! I may have to take in Rocco after Mike spent all that money on wood :lol:
That will be the day. Jen will send me to you and keep Rocco. :lol: :lol: :lol:
agingcrossbower

One last piece to glue on. The trigger butt gets put on. Normally I drill a hole in the trigger grip but with the grooves I decide not to for fear of weakening it. I also did not drill a hole before i put on the but plate. Just a judgement call. Not sure how much weigh it saves.

agingcrossbower

Trigger grip plate is set. A little more finish shaping and play with the broadhead and than its major sanding. The end is near. :D

Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Looking Good!!!!!!!!!!
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
agingcrossbower

Got it shaped to where I want it and now a lot of sanding;

one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its looking really good man!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Nice! Love the look with the grip.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

It's coming along quite nicely Mike!! Getting close to my favourite part...I love it when the finish is applied and the grain comes alive!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads