Venting: Rocky Boots - I am SO MAD - TWICE!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JRS

Post by JRS »

If you are looking for Rocky warranty service try Oleyland (previously known as Underwoods) in Ingersoll. I know a guy that had problems with Rocky boots that didn't even buy them there and they were quick to replace them for him. They are a large retailer of boots and work wear, so they may get quicker action from Rocky. Make sure you have your bill of sale. I bought some Irish Setter Buck Trackers from them and they said just bring them back if there is a problem.
exocet

Post by exocet »

A.W wrote:I've had a pair of Irish Setters for 3 years with 1000 gr. of Thinsulate per boot. Never had cold or wet feet.. The only problem is that with 1000 grams of Thinsulate it has to be a really cold day before I wear them.

Here's a little tip I learned many years ago. I posted this back in 2003.

When I buy new leather boots I wear them for a couple of days to break them in and open the pores in the leather/seams.

Then I get some "Mink Oil" and smear it onto the boots. The next thing is to "Blow Dry" them. The mink oil will soak right into the leather and seams. Repeat until it no longer soaks in. Make sure you do this over some newspaper. Repeat this every year.

I had a pair of Browning boots for 24 years doing this every year.

Earlier this year I bought these boots (with 400grams Thinsolate) at BassPro in Vaughn. (Top right corner.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... geNumber=1

Just curious. Has anybody tried my little tip since I posted it in 2003?
I don`t see the boot you are refering to? I would like to see them :D As for the Mink Oil, yes I do that with leather boots With Goretex, but if they don`t have Goretex I use Snow Seal. If you use Snow Seal on boots with Goretex your boots won`t breath, Snow Seal locks everything and out, Mink Oil let`s boot breath. Snow Seal is a little better water protector, but won`t let the boot breath, with Goretex you want it to breath, so you use Mink Oil and you are good to go. The Mink Oil is there to protect the leather. Jack.
A.W

Post by A.W »

That should have been top "left corner"...High leg rubber boots I bought this year.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
exocet

Post by exocet »

Ok, I see them now!! I really nead a good pair of insulated rubber boots :D I just ordered a pair of Cabelas all leather/goretex/800 gram thinsulate boots for $100. I will let you guys know how they work out!! Thanks-Jack.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I did some research on the boot construction and material conditioners before I bought my boots. Because some boots have silicone impregnated into the leather, you are not supposed to use oil, grease or fat on them. My Irish Setters specifically stated "WARNING: THIS WARRANTY IS VOID IF BOOTS ARE TREATED WITH OIL, FAT OR GREASE OF ANY KIND" Regularly treat boots with silicone and/or leather protector.
My leather Columbias I regularly did the mink oil treatment...they lasted a very long time for an inexpesive hiking boot.

Good luck!
Skeeter

It's not the aptitude but the attitude that determines the altitude!
exocet

Post by exocet »

Skeeter wrote:I did some research on the boot construction and material conditioners before I bought my boots. Because some boots have silicone impregnated into the leather, you are not supposed to use oil, grease or fat on them. My Irish Setters specifically stated "WARNING: THIS WARRANTY IS VOID IF BOOTS ARE TREATED WITH OIL, FAT OR GREASE OF ANY KIND" Regularly treat boots with silicone and/or leather protector.
My leather Columbias I regularly did the mink oil treatment...they lasted a very long time for an inexpesive hiking boot.

Good luck!
Good info!! I will remember this when my boots come in. I beleive mine are Oiled leather, but I will make sure. Jack.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I bought my rockies years ago before they where madde over seas. I paid over 250 for mne and they hardly have any wear at all. If I was to buy boots now I would go with Irish Setters
exocet

Post by exocet »

Irish Setters use to be Made In the USA as they are under the Redwing unbrella. I see some are Imported and some are still Made in USA of Imported Materials, gets confusing at times :shock: Jack.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Skeeter wrote: My Irish Setters specifically stated "WARNING: THIS WARRANTY IS VOID IF BOOTS ARE TREATED WITH OIL, FAT OR GREASE OF ANY KIND" Regularly treat boots with silicone and/or leather protector.

Good luck!
I see your point Skeeter but the fat itself is removed from Mink Oil. Fat or grease will rot the leather. Here's some infor I picked up on the Net.

Mink oil
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mink oil is made from the thick fatty layer minks have just under their skins. This fat is removed from the pelt when the mink is skinned and is then rendered into mink oil. Mink oil is a source of palmitoleic acid which possesses physical properties similar to human sebum, therefore mink oil is used in several medical and cosmetic products. Mink oil is also favored for treating and preserving leather.

Botanical alternatives to mink oil as a source of palmitoleic acid include macadamia nut oil (Macadamia integrifolia) and Sea Buckthorn oil (Hippophae rhamnoides), both of which contain a larger percentage of palmitoleic acid (22 and 40% respectively) than does mink oil (17%).

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mink_oil"

Interestingly enough here's a link that states silicones break down the stitching in boots and shoes. Click on product info. up top.

http://www.originalminkoil.com/
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Tom

Post by Tom »

John Wade a few years ago when I was at Cabalas' in Mich I got myself a pair of Wolverines for $69 and at 600 grams insulation they were a great boot. Today they have this boot which is at 800 grams but looks very simular.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Also for the colder days I ordered the boot blankets which fold up easily in a pack or hangs on a pack and have very little weight to them. All you do is step into them then zip up the zipper to get toasty feet.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

The reason I choose these were the zipper was in the back, less heat loss & possible water leakage. A few things that I did not like about these boots and blankets was the sole on the boot is very hard and sorta stiff, but otherwise I would recomend them to others.They have been 100% waterproof for me. The blankets are not water proof (but in extreem cold not much of a problem) plus your boots are inside them. But the one major problem with them is the sole "a slip and wear-resistant vinyl sole". In snow or wet conditions on leaves it is very difficult to move quickly without slipping but moving slowly is not much of a problem. This is a tradeoff I have accepted for the option of walking to my stand in light boots them adding the warmth of the blankets once I get there.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
exocet

Post by exocet »

Tom, it is funny you should post those Wolverines man. It was between those and the Cabelas Iron Ridge that look alot like that one. I chose to go all leather and have the pull up loop in the back that assists you when pulling up on the boot, but those Wolverines look nice for the money!! Jack.