BBQ/Smoker Build #2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ont_Excal

Re: BBQ/Smoker Build #2

Post by Ont_Excal »

Raymond wrote: Could the 3/4" plywood floor be left on until I could afford to put down a steel meshed floor later on this summer? The plywood floor is still cover with vinyl flooring and is still solid. Will that work for now, what do you think?
Raymond, fire in BBQ + wood floor = Towering Inferno II

I would set it up on the ground first and and run it a few times to know what final functional adjustments to make.
Raymond wrote: I do not know if the original suspension would be good enough or not. What do you think?
Thanks,
Raymond
For the original suspension look at the manufacturers registration plate. It will specify gross weight limit of the trailer.

If no plate then look at the tongue of the trailer. The size of the ball required defines the allowed gross weight of the trailer.

I believe that Transport Canada sets the guidelines.

Good luck.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Ont_Excal wrote:
Raymond wrote: Could the 3/4" plywood floor be left on until I could afford to put down a steel meshed floor later on this summer? The plywood floor is still cover with vinyl flooring and is still solid. Will that work for now, what do you think?
Raymond, fire in BBQ + wood floor = Towering Inferno II

I would set it up on the ground first and and run it a few times to know what final functional adjustments to make.
Raymond wrote: I do not know if the original suspension would be good enough or not. What do you think?
Thanks,
Raymond
For the original suspension look at the manufacturers registration plate. It will specify gross weight limit of the trailer.

If no plate then look at the tongue of the trailer. The size of the ball required defines the allowed gross weight of the trailer.

I believe that Transport Canada sets the guidelines.

Good luck.
No plywood allowed, No Towering Inferno II :lol: :lol: . I will check the plate. It has a 2" ball receiver. I have the papers at a friends place for it. I have to get the paper this week.
Thank you,
Raymond
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

As for the color, it'll probably end up black in the end, but to start, a fire engine red would be cool. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I am going to start setting up tomorrow on the trailer. And then will know what height of legs that I need. I believe I have a line on some diamond shaped mesh at a decent deal. I will know tomorrow. I will start taking some photos tomorrow while I am mocking up this BBQ/Smoker.
Thank you,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Sorry guys no pictures. I have had a sore throat and a bad cough all day. Didn't feel much like doing anything today. Some sort of darn flu bug, hopefully that doesn't last too long. I got things that I want to do.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have been trying to find High Heat Resistant Flat Black Paint that would be worth buying. I am thinking by the gallon or maybe a five gallon bucket. TremClad sells their larger size in a quart can, it is selling for around $15 to $16 plus tax, I could no doubt get it for a little bit better. It will take quite a few quarts to paint the trailer and everything. Rustoleom, the largest comes in quart cans also for about the same price that I can buy to have this thing painted with . Does anyone know of some other paint that I could use and buy to paint this BBQ/Smoker with that comes in gallons or in a 5 gallon bucket? This has been the most aggravating process of doing this build so far I find. If my hair was long instead of being short I would have pulled it out by now, :lol: :lol: . I have searched and searched and have not found anything that I could use. Please help.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have found enough 250 gallon furnace oil barrels to cut the ends off and put a double layer of 1/8" steel plating down, which would make a combined thickness off 1/4" thick steel on top of the beefed up frame to make a steel floor on my trailer to be able to mount my 250 Gallon Reverse Flow BBQ/Smoker. Before putting down the top sheets I have a buddy that will spray a mixture of vegetable oil and graphite between the two sections which i think would be a good idea to keep the rust from eating away at the steel from the inside out. When I paint the floor i will throw some sand onto the paint to put a grit into the paint so you can stand up and walk if you need to. What do you think about that idea? The barrels are free and I just can't afford to buy the metal for the trailer deck. They wanted $220.00 plus tax for one sheet of 1/4" steel plating. And for scraped crusher plates they wanted $40.00 a sheet and I would have needed 5 of those that would equal $200.00 which I do not have and cannot afford that either. So what do you think about this plan folks. Let me tell you that I miss being able to work, I would love to be able to go back to work. Anyway onward and upward with the smoke from my BBQ/Smoker. Not from a burning smokehouse. If this one burns down we are going to start and pray because it will take more than me to melt this one down, it will be timer to head for the nuclear bunkers, :lol: . Then I will be pissed if my BBQ/Smoker gets melted down, :lol: :lol: .
Thank you,
Raymond
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Raymond

Post by Raymond »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: send that dang bomb this way :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I feel about just about doing that about now to this build, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Thanks,
Raymond
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

But this is what you'll have to look forward to once it's done........ :wink:

Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
We are in the grips of Mother Nature and her torrential rain storms. Come the next fine day a buddy of mine and his wielder and I are going to put some bracing on the trailer. We are going to cut the ends off of some 250 gallon furnace oil barrels opening then up and welding a double layer on the frame of the trailer making a 1/4" decking on the frame. And then once that is done we will get busy assembling the BBQ/Smoker. I think we will move this build inside the shed where everything is located in one place. It makes good sense to do that for sure. Hopefully there will be some good pictures to post of this build. I am not giving up, I am still waiting to do a rack of ribs, :lol: .
Thanks,
Raymond
wabi

Post by wabi »

Dang it!
I come home tired & hungry and have to look at this -

Somehow a bologna sandwich just doesn't sound as appealing now.... :roll:
wabi
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, the 'round steak' wouldn't hold a candle to that beast. :wink:

:mrgreen:

Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Big58cal wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, the 'round steak' wouldn't hold a candle to that beast. :wink:

:mrgreen:
Now I know why you are Big58 :idea: :roll: :lol: :lol:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I have had a few days of not feelings well. So not much was done lately other than setting it on the trailer and getting some measurements and the best location to bolt it on the trailer. I do have it sitting on the trailer. We have set it in place to see where the best location is and to find out the length of legs we need for the smoker and the firebox. I am just waiting for the other 250 gallon oil barrels that will be cut open and used to cover the floor. As long as I feel okay tomorrow I will be cutting out the doors. And will be wearing my safety glass now that I have found them. I do have all the planes saved on the computer. I have read a lot and looked at a lot and saved a lot of information and have had a great deal of help from many different friends on many forums and local friends. I will be really glad when this is finished. I wish I could have a huge potluck BBQ with all of you, that would be a blast. I will post pictures of the firebox and smoker sitting on the trailer tomorrow and as I keep on cutting and building I will keep taking photos.
Thank you,
Raymond