Power stroke/Draw lenght

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pstjohn

Re: Power stroke/Draw lenght

Post by pstjohn »

Swamp Donky wrote:You better git-on-it, pstj! Only 8 days left to get proficient with that E/M 380 before season opener... Make sure & post some pics of the new rig, when you get her. :wink:

I am so very excited to 'git-on-it'. I've got a few more than 8 days since I won't be hunting opening week. Have been firing some xbows already. They are amazingly easy so shoot and I was hitting very close to intended target from 60 yards. Will be taking a buddies compound Horton as a back up bow and practising at the duck camp on at least a couple of occasions before going after my moose towards the end of this month.
Matrix 380
Tom

Post by Tom »

Pstjohn you are correct in not wanting to skirt the lines of the laws in Ontario. But one Persons' statement which is contrary to the written regulations would make me question him more on these rules, not to just accept what he says.

Example, I had many hunters tell me that when Grouse Hunting, archery Moose hunting in the area between Sudbury & Timmins you MUST WEAR HUNTER ORANGE just because there was a Gun Season for bear. My question on this was I was not taking part in any bear hunt so I did not require it and that when Archery only hunting deer in the south, we were not required to wear hunter Orange just because a bear season was in effect. The CO's comment was, that was the south, he has no say in how they do things down there, but this is the north and how it is done up here.

Because it was so wide spread, I honestly believe that it was his superiors directing these actions. So I contacted the MNR by e-mail and I received a response after a while telling me I was correct and that the actions by the CO's were in contrary the hunting regulations. I did carry that response with me for many years but after that, the CO's never said anything about hunter orange unless you were taking part of a large game gun season or during a moose or deer gun season.

I would check again with someone else in their legal department.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

Hi Tom,

I agree with you. Which is exactly why I did contact them again (first time via their website, second time by phone). Both times I got the same reply. Now, it's possible that *both* the representatives are mistaken, but I'm personally not going to take that chance.

'sides. Helps me justify the bigger better bow to the missus! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh, and I don't view their statements as contrary to the regulations, but rather view the regulations as ambiguous and their clarifications as.... unexpected.

cheers,
-P.
Matrix 380
pstjohn

Post by pstjohn »

Went back to the shop to buy an aid for changing the string on my M380. Talked to the young fellow there who's dad is a CO and he tried calling him again. Got through this time. I only got to hear one side of the discussion, which went on for about 10 minutes, and at first it sounded like his dad was saying string at rest to fully cocked, but as the kid (err... young man) pressed, read the regulations wording and discussed it his dad, a CO for the MNR, he settled on end of body where the limbs attach to fully cocked - which would put the 330 well within specs for big game in Ontario.

Now, it took some discussion with a very friendly source (his son) who was also standing in front of crossbow customer (yes sir, that $700 jacket looks *great* on you!) to get to that point. But it does come from the person in the field who enforces the regulations. The fact I find far more telling, though, is that he said that not once has he ever measured draw length on any type of bow that did not look like it was a youth bow or something similarly under sized.

-P
Matrix 380
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

something don't seem right !!....in there reply they say draw length or power stroke ??....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

bob1961 wrote:something don't seem right !!....in there reply they say draw length or power stroke ??....
All is good Bob. Some people don't know the difference between DL or PS. Anyone who shoots a trad bow or compound bow would know that "certain MNR employees" were not applying the correct measurement to establish DL.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?