Does it really make sense?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IroquoisArcher

Re: Does it really make sense?

Post by IroquoisArcher »

In all seriousness to the original post I totally agree with people waiting till the last minute, new or otherwise. Shop I help out at actually had people starting to get ready sooner by a couple months over any other of the 13 years. But it still was the last 2 weeks before season making up dozens of strings, close to 1000 arrows at least, etc. etc. Had 2 guys in today buying crossbows to go hunting...never shot one before...and season opened 10/3.
Have no idea how to get people to realize they need to give guys like you more advance notice.
cld.1

Post by cld.1 »

I shoot some all year and really start to shake the gear down in June. There have been a couple of times I had to order or warranty things and this way if it takes a month or two I'm not stressing.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

This happens in all the trades. It is human nature to put things off. As a carpenter I always was a couple of storm doors on right after the first snow and not in the summer when the finger would bend better.
Boo

Post by Boo »

agingcrossbower wrote:This happens in all the trades. It is human nature to put things off. As a carpenter I always was a couple of storm doors on right after the first snow and not in the summer when the finger would bend better.
The middle finger? :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boo wrote:
agingcrossbower wrote:This happens in all the trades. It is human nature to put things off. As a carpenter I always was a couple of storm doors on right after the first snow and not in the summer when the finger would bend better.
The middle finger? :shock:
No, not just the middle finger, all of them froze. Your just not making sense. :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:If anything from Texas abducted me, I might not want to leave. Hog hunting, small deer with big racks easy to haul, smoke grilled food and the place is littered with turkeys soooooooo dumb :mrgreen:
And there is a blackpowder club throwing distance from the cemetery. :)
munch

Post by munch »

don all i did was put one of your strings on rusty shoot the bag 3 times then shot #4 killed a moose. what else was i suppose to do your making this sound so hard lol honestly im so far behind right now i dont know weather to chit or wined my watch, deer season has been open 10 days tomorrow and all my moose stuff is still packed and needs washing before i hit the bush.i do know from about the 25th until mid nov. i will be in the bush
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

This is the time that a guy needs a couple of back ups if one goes south :lol: :lol: !! I try to shoot a month or two before season and check my bows over so i no everything is good!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

I am a newbie, and reading this cracks me up!! I have shot probably 200 shots with my new Grizzly and Diablo arrows. I put Slick Trick 150s on to make sure I am in line with the recommended weight. Zeroed in and will not mess with the bow until after hunting is over. All of you are very entertaining!! I learn a lot and laugh a lot!! It is fun getting to know you all via the forum!!
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

If I got it,,,I'm using it hunting season or not,,, I spend months proving nothing is as good as it should be, arrows, fletching, broadheads heavier slower, faster, lighter, COC, Chisel tip, you name it,,, and then by two weeks out I have a setup for each that is quite capable out past 50 yards and go with it,,,, but after season even though I can keep em in a 1" bull at 70 yards,,, I'll be finding out why they ain't in a 1/2" bull at 100 yards!!!! But 2 weeks ago we were ready and anxiously waiting!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I have a self imposed rule that all my guns & bows are sighted in and ready to go by august 1st. :) Then all i have to do is tidy up the little stuff. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:Does it really make sense to give your bow and other hunting equipment a shake down a couple of weeks or less before hunting season?
Sorta :wink:

Maybe have a total of 1,300 shots since last season.
Slow for me but the bow remains Fast. So... Check.

In the Not So Much Category...

Frame, Riser & Limbs, Trigger, Scope and ADF, hold down spring, Screws, Sling and more all on nice little separate neat piles..

Not shot for over a week.

Season here has been open much more than that.

Slaughtering lambs tomorrow...
Picking up the (ordered) broadheads) same day in town - likely just before they close...

The Lady's Birthday the next...

Shooting the next. And the next.

Then putting on two provinces, shooting again and then... Hunting.

Damn Good thing I have equipment I can Rely on!

Including a spare Boo String! :wink:
So the question begs, when did you start checking out your equipment and what did you do to further yourself for hunting?
About Age Four :wink:

Tried Doing It! :lol:

Cheers!
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Doesn't seem to matter how ready I am. Right before season something always go wrong.

This year I decided to switch to a crossbow a month in advance, which is A-typical of me to do so close to season. Even though it was all new, things still didn't work out.

I'm typically ready to go by Aug 1st.

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
SEW

Post by SEW »

As a dentist, I experience much the same. People who have dental insurance yet only come in when their problems result in pain. Pain that they want treated right then. I'm booked for months, and it ends up that I usually treat these non-preventive patients before those who get regular cleanings and examinations. Many of the ones "who just can't afford" preventive dental care, drink, smoke, pay others to service their vehicles, etc(do all my own mechanic work on everything- for money purposes AND the fact I'm very fastidious- I'd trust Don). A pack of cigarettes (?$5/pack) is $1825/year, alcohol, sodas(terrible for a person) - would do a lot of dentistry!

So back to the immediate subject, this is human nature. The newer a person is to this sport, the less involved a person is, the more immature a person is, this last minute stuff will just be a part of life. Here in Arkansas, Hunter education is required for all born after 1968. This is usually done on weekends. When is it done normally? AFTER bow season has started but 2-3 weeks before gun season. I've asked the AGFC why not have this BEFORE season starts. Their answer: they won't come until season is almost here. I've offered to teach, before bow season, but they say no body would come.

Same as what Boo, Danny, and others experience.
No One

Post by No One »

This being my first season. In the spring of this year I had nothing. So all my orders where put in then. Got everything 6 months prior to the season. So the wait for hunting season has been long one. But worth it. :D
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.