Post by Pinpoint »

Very nice! I love the cheek rest!! Very unique to be sure!! :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Re: Custom Matrix

Post by vixenmaster »

A most unusual project, very nice machine work n engineerin. Absolutely an outstanding crossbow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Finished her up. Shot it quite a bit and am pretty happy with the build. Ended up jettisoning the tool steel rails as they warped significantly during heat treating. What I am now using is delrin. It's is works great, was easier to machine, and cost me about $5 verse the $70 I had in tool steel and heat treating.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

The accudraw came mods came out real clean. It works well for me. It will be a big improvement for me over fighting a rope cocker in a stand. I had a situation last season where I shot a buck and it just stood there. I heard the arrow hit and the buck jumped a little, but it just walked around the spot. I decided to load her up and send another arrow, which with a 380 and in a lone wolf stand at about 20 feet up was a challenge. Decided then that I needed a new system. Anyway by the time I got the thing cocked and an arrow in place the buck fell over and that was it.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

The trigger is stock excal with my previously posted trigger mod. It connects to a linkage that pierces the pistol grip. Inside the grip is a spring mechanism that acts as a two stage, whereby the trigger has about 1/4" take up during which the spring preloads the trigger a bit. You hit a nice solid wall and then it is probably 2.5lbs from there to the break with no discernible creep. The whole linkage rides on rulon bearings, so it is nice and smooth. The design was risky as the whole crossbow hinged upon it and I had no backup plan should it not work. I needed the spring preload as there was considerable leverage lost from the stock setup. Excalibur uses a long trigger made possible by how tall their extrusion is. My setup is much shorter. Sorry for the blurry pic.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

I went with 14.5" arrows to keep the heads inside the riser. No more getting your arrow knocked askew when going through thick brush.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Wanted to try my hand at predator hunting. Also I go to Florida annually and see some night hunts for hogs in my future. The night vision was the reason for the full length picatinny rail.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Lots of nice mod work you have done, very nice. Hey a Vortex Sparc II Red dot on yer Custom Excal. I have the same red dot n i like mine very well. Congrats on yer fine rig
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Really nice to see the pictures of your finished "Masterpiece".

Thank you for sharing your build details and progress pictures with all of us here on the forum.

With your engineering and R&D time, as well as your time in making all of the special "one off" pieces to fabricate and form your bow, Your probably shooting the most expensive crossbow in history. :shock: Especially if you added wages into the "Pot" in coming up with a finish price. :P

Congratulations, you did an awesome job ! :mrgreen:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Really nice to see the pictures of your finished "Masterpiece".

Thank you for sharing your build details and progress pictures with all of us here on the forum.

With your engineering and R&D time, as well as your time in making all of the special "one off" pieces to fabricate and form your bow, Your probably shooting the most expensive crossbow in history. :shock: Especially if you added wages into the "Pot" in coming up with a finish price. :P

Congratulations, you did an awesome job ! :mrgreen:

Gene
So true. Thanks!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Man that is top to bottom custom. Really cool Shade. :D
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

WOW! Thank you for the follow up report and pictures. That is truly gorgeous. Did I mention I love that! :lol: This is, I'm guessing, a labour of love because it's not something you'll be offering on the trading post....a duplicate type bow that is. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I forgot to ask, how does the bow sound at the shot compared to a regular xbow and how's the vibration?

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

paulaboutform wrote:I forgot to ask, how does the bow sound at the shot compared to a regular xbow and how's the vibration?

Paul
It's more rifle like. I find it vary similar to shooting a 22 in regards to sound and vibration. This is all subjective, but it seems to have a more distinct recoil like the kick of a 22, also has that crack that is very short. There is no perceptible vibration. I did change the dampening significantly by Iinstalling an air brake. I also cut half the ball off the r.e.d.s. and have set the brace height so that the string just contacts the rubber. That is a mod that I saw someone here had done at some point and it make more sense to me to have an air gap. I was going to make a new r.e.d.s. system entirely utilizing and elastomer and spring, similar to what scorypd just released. I had it all designed and then simplicity won out.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

paulaboutform wrote:WOW! Thank you for the follow up report and pictures. That is truly gorgeous. Did I mention I love that! :lol: This is, I'm guessing, a labour of love because it's not something you'll be offering on the trading post....a duplicate type bow that is. :wink:

Paul
Moon on archerytalk suggested making a Micro. I think it would be fun to focus on reducing weight. I think I could shave a pound off of the stock weight from the factory and reduce the overall length by about 3 inches with the bullpup style trigger. Maybe a future project. I wonder if Excalibur would sell me just the limbs and riser?