Home fer now!
dw

Post by dw »

nobody here has voted more than once :?: :roll:
"dw"
"you gotta love it"
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

bstout wrote:I just called the 800 number listed at the bottom of the poll for Outdoor Wisconsin News and let them know about the issue of being able to vote more than once and that their poll was not accurate. I had to leave a message on a machine. I'll let you know if they get back to me.

Bob
Email from them said -

"There are groups on both sides asking their members to respond to the poll. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of traffic right now."

They realy aren't after a correct poll as they are after "traffic".

It is us against them guys. Vote early and vote often...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BryanOney

Crossbows in Wisconsin

Post by BryanOney »

I think that due to chronic wasting disease in the deer herd in Wisconsin the state is looking for more ways to manage the deer herd. As can be seen by the history of crossbow use in Ohio and probably other states, the crossbow is a very efficient tool in managing a deer herd. This coupled with the fact that the crossbow will encourage many new hunters of both sexes and all ages to begin participating in deer hunting makes me think the crossbow season is going to happen in Wisconsin. I do not know why it is exactly, but I have helped many parent/children teams get started deer hunting in bow season in Ohio. Almost always they will find the crossbow less intimidating to use, more enjoyable to shoot, and both the parent and child can take turns using the same crossbow. This is not always the case with a vert bow. If a state wants to get more hunters involved in managing a deer herd, the crossbow will be very helpful in that regard. If we as hunters statewide, nationwide, and worldwide want to maintain our right to hunt we should gladly do anything possible that will allow anyone to participate in hunting. Our right to hunt is far more likely to be maintained if large numbers of people participate in hunting. The crossbow will help this cause. I personally think using a crossbow lets a new hunter become an efficient shot able to make a killing shot a bit quicker than if they were using a vert bow. I also think killing a deer is a bit easier with a crossbow than a vert bow just because the hunter will not be seen by the deer as he/she draws the bow. Thes are the ol 2 advantages a crossbow has over a vert bow. These 2 advantages are very small. In my mind it might let a hunter using a crossbow have a 10 to 15% higher success rate than a hunter using a vert bow. I honestly see nothing but good coming from the legalization of the crossbow in Wisconsin. If we all look at what is best for the future of deer hunting and hunting in general and put aside our own selfish fears about there being more competition in the woods for deer it is obvious that crossbows should be legalized. Sorry for jumping on the soap box guys. Just my 2 cents, but I feel better having said something.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Bryan,

You are right.

However, there are some disadvantages of using a crossbow VS a compound bow too.

Do you support expanding the use of crossbows for hunting in Wisconsin?

54.2% - YES

45.8% - NO

986 total votes

At 7:05 am CST 2 - 19- 05
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

TTT....
Woody Williams

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woody Williams

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hey guys,

As hard as it is to resist please don't go over to ArcheryTalk and debate on that therad.

That only brings it up to the top more and more. More people see it and vote again and again..
Woody Williams

BryanOney

Crossbows

Post by BryanOney »

I without a doubt support the use of crossbows in Wisconsin. I would like to see them legalized nationwide. I think they will only help the cause of hunting. Other than it being hard to shoot a crossbow to the right for a right handed person, I have not experianced any disadvantages of using a crossbow. I would like to hear some things others feel are a disadvantage of using a crossbow. I have never given this much thought.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

With a crossbow it's tough to shoot straight behind the tree when you are in a treestand. The horizontal limbs/string and vertical tree trunk have a major conflict..

No chance for a second shot if needed..
Woody Williams

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Do you support expanding the use of crossbows for hunting in Wisconsin?

55.9% - YES

44.1% - NO

1127 total votes

6:53 am CST
Woody Williams

brayhaven

Re: Crossbows in Wisconsin

Post by brayhaven »

BryanOney wrote:I think that due to chronic wasting disease in the deer herd in Wisconsin the state is looking for more ways to manage the deer herd. As can be seen by the history of crossbow use in Ohio and probably other states, the crossbow is a very efficient tool in managing a deer herd. I also think killing a deer is a bit easier with a crossbow than a vert bow just because the hunter will not be seen by the deer as he/she draws the bow. These 2 advantages are very small. In my mind it might let a hunter using a crossbow have a 10 to 15% higher success rate than a hunter using a vert bow. .
Hmmm, I thought our whole argument (supported by stats from OH, AR, GA, etc) is that the crossbow is no more "efficient" than other archery tools. If they reall want efficiency, the rifle is about as efficient as the law allows. What crossbows might do is get more hunters into the woods to help with the harvest, but I don't think they'll raise the success rate. Even if I did, I wouldn't say it :lol:
Greg
johnjyb

Post by johnjyb »

My first vote....I'm only supposed to do one according to the rules of fair chase, right?????? :lol: :D :D :D
Thanks, johnjyb
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

TTT
Woody Williams

Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Just voted!...AGAIN! You can vote upteen times, but you need to wait a little before going back. :wink: :lol:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.