matrix 405 trigger problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JPjunkie

Re: matrix 405 trigger problem

Post by JPjunkie »

I feel mine is perfectly safe there is no play at all in my trigger while on safety And I pulled the trigger several times while on safe And it never prematurely fired on me
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

JPjunkie wrote:I feel mine is perfectly safe there is no play at all in my trigger while on safety And I pulled the trigger several times while on safe And it never prematurely fired on me
Dave you're probably right. It would be naive to think that every single 405 is defective, just like it would be naive to think that mine was the only one affected. The truth lies in between.

Since Excalibur posted the recall and warning, if you choose not heed it, and should there be a failure, you'll be on your own.

Just saying.
Last edited by ComfyBear on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Sorry for the delay in responding but we had to go through the proper channels to look after this recall correctly.

The problem with the trigger sears is due to the potential differential of hardness between the catch and the lower sear section which can accelerates wear. The condition could cause firing when the safety is placed in the fire position.

The recall concerns a limited amount of the 405 Matrix since the product has only been available since January, and of those sold, not all are affected. But to be safe we'd like to inspect them all.

We appreciate your loyalty and patience. Our goal is to look after the inspections and repairs as quickly as we can and at no cost to the owner.

Peter
Excalibur Crossbow
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Sorry for the delay in responding but we had to go through the proper channels to look after this recall correctly.

The problem with the trigger sears is due to the potential differential of hardness between the catch and the lower sear section which can accelerates wear. The condition could cause firing when the safety is placed in the fire position.

The recall concerns a limited amount of the 405 Matrix since the product has only been available since January, and of those sold, not all are affected. But to be safe we'd like to inspect them all.

We appreciate your loyalty and patience. Our goal is to look after the inspections and repairs as quickly as we can and at no cost to the owner.

Peter
Excalibur Crossbow
Can we just send back the trigger :?:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

If you feel comfortable doing so, sure. Please contact us to discuss your return further.

Peter
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

Osella wrote:pinshooter do you have a problem with your matrix 405?
No I didn't have a problem but I had one of the first ones out so I will send it in for the change.
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

ComfyBear wrote:
Species8472 wrote:
Osella wrote:thank you very much species... How much does it cost? I call you when I invent crossbow LIght velocity :) :)
In Canada they are in the range of $140 to $180
Must be nice to have extra money to spend on a new trigger. Oh, but I forgot you can "write it off" as a business expense. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me it was cheaper, actually free, to just have it replaced with another factory original. Besides I know that if the new one fails, as an OEM, I'll have legal recourse as opposed to having to find out who's responsible, if an after-market one does.
Agreed.
I would think there would be no recourse once you install after market even with the after market manfacture.
Besides their is no guarantee the after market will not fail in a similar fashion as the Excalbur.
The forces involved on such a small contact surface makes it a difficult task to design with materails that can withstand the stress while still being affordable.
However any company that decides to offer a replacement option considering recent developments without fully understand standing the cause would expose them to liability going forward.
May still be too early for even Excalibur to be confident in proper solution.
A recall this quickly after the fact indicates to me that the problem is major.
Who knows maybe the 405 is one of those products that should not have seen the light of day. Rush to market to early hoping to capitalize on the success of the Matrix Line.
I got burned with Fury so will hold off for a while.
TriggerTech

Post by TriggerTech »

Osella wrote:Excuse me for my ignorance. I am here because I want to buy my first crossbow (matrix 405) but What is trigger tech???
Hi,

We would be happy to answer any questions regarding our aftermarket trigger for Excal bows. You can email us at [email protected] or call at 1-888-795-1485.

Cheers,

TT
TriggerTech

Post by TriggerTech »

colouredchameleon wrote:

Agreed.
I would think there would be no recourse once you install after market even with the after market manfacture.
Besides their is no guarantee the after market will not fail in a similar fashion as the Excalbur.
The forces involved on such a small contact surface makes it a difficult task to design with materails that can withstand the stress while still being affordable.
However any company that decides to offer a replacement option considering recent developments without fully understand standing the cause would expose them to liability going forward.
May still be too early for even Excalibur to be confident in proper solution.
A recall this quickly after the fact indicates to me that the problem is major.
Who knows maybe the 405 is one of those products that should not have seen the light of day. Rush to market to early hoping to capitalize on the success of the Matrix Line.
I got burned with Fury so will hold off for a while.
Hi,

We appreciate your concern here, but it is not comparing apples to apples. In short, the issue experienced here can not occur in our triggers.

Our trigger design is fundamentally different. When in the safe position, the trigger lever, or any component in the trigger for that matter, can't move. So, it is not possible to have a similar issue with our trigger. Because we have a roller in there, there is no sliding or any sear disengagement at all prior to shooting. Our system is zero creep, so it is not possible to pull on the lever with the safety on to take any creep out prior to shooting.

The forces are different in rolling friction than they are in sliding. It is because we have a roller that we can increase the sear engagement surfaces and maintain a crisp, clean and safe release in doing so. Once again, with no movement of the lever in the safe position, the trigger can only be moved when the shooter intends to shoot - when the safety is off.

Our triggers work well in the Matrix series and our materials are very hard - each component is 440C Stainless Steel and hardened to 60 Rockwell - that is comparable to high grade knife blades and harder than any other trigger components on the market. They are tested well beyond the weight experienced in a 405 with no issues. The weight from the 405 on the latch does not affect the safety on our triggers in the slightest and there is no movement of the latch and sear position prior to firing. In addition, because it is rolling friction, there's next to no wear on the sear surfaces over time.

Because of these differences, there are no safety concerns with our triggers beyond following the normal operating procedures of using a crossbow and installation instructions provided with our triggers.

You can see how our trigger works here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hrkyNSqp4U

All of this said, Excalibur of course makes an exceptional product, we are merely here to improve an already fantastic crossbow.

Cheers,

TT
www.triggertech.com
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

AMEN
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
colouredchameleon

Trigger Tech sounds like a quick solution to resolve this issue in the short term.

HINT- HINT

If anyone at Excalibur gets my drift?

My 2 cents
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Funny how T.T. chimed in. Glad they are a supporter of this forum 8) I'm sure Excal's goal was to have a trigger issue. Not an "Excal fan" just a completely happy owner! At this time not interested in an upgraded trigger, thanks. Wouldn't know the difference with all the excitement shooting at any game anyhow :shock:
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It is what it is. I feel enough has been said. Now it's time to soldier on, and do what must be done to remedy the issue.

Perhaps, now that the recall has been made, it might be best to even delete this thread.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
colouredchameleon

foofoo

Post by foofoo »

called twice today about sending my 405 back. office is open but had to leave a message with return call info. not good. wish they would have better assistance for the 405 people.