Picture contest vote

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This is tough, I think they are all winners,only one goes on top. I vote for peach

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

My vote is for Doe Master with the buck in the snow. That looked like a hunt to remember.

DuckHunt
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

my vote xbowkidd 2008 picture
Boo

Post by Boo »

deleted
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

[quote="Mike P"]Time for me to chime in with my votes.

First, I love R.J.'s photos but I am throwing him out. I love ya R.J. but I also love a level playing field. And my friend, you are a spectacular photographer and I think your amateur status is far behind you. Think of it this way, if we ever have a forum short story contest would you let me enter? I know you didn't take the pic's you are in but it is guilt by association. And if I had to vote for any of your pic's my favorite is the one of the kids with the truck and you can hardly see the deer.:lol: :lol:

I have to agree with Mike on this one, but I would also like to add that I cannot vote for a picture with a cocked crossbow in it. To me it is unnecessary and unsafe so I cannot with good conscience praise a photo that depicts an unsafe situation, just my opinion. That being said I choose,
Catcher
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I was dreading the time when I would have to make this decision, and here it is. Because we are on a Excalibur crossbow forum, I will only vote for a picture that includes the crossbow in it. There were alot of well done photo's this year as compared to last year, but many of them did not include the crossbow. This is very unfortunate, but it helped to narrow down my decision. This person had a good picture in the contest last year as well, and was very close to winning if I remember correctly.

My vote goes to Fishn-Hunter. Unclefester and R.J. were very close as well.

Great job guy's with all the pictures this year.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

1st off ... I want to say thanks again to Boo for takeing the time to put the contest together and offering such a generous 1st prize ! ... Also thanks to the others that contributed to the prize pool ! ... What a generous group !

That said ... I'm keeping up as best I can , my home internet is brutal slow ...

( I'm on break at work right now ... the PC's here are much faster )

Remember Criteria = pick the picture you like best , has to be a forum member , has to be a crossbow harvest , and as far as I know as long as there were not any seemingly unsafe crossbow infractions = " good to go "

There have been a few votes that can't be counted because "it wasn't a forum member " , or " the game animal wasn't taken with a crossbow "

So now , each time someone votes , I have to go back and double check the picture to make sure it meets the criteria ... and with my home internet , that means finding which page of 12 that the picture was on .. waiting for all the pictures to download / upload / whatever you call it ... anyway you cut it ... " it's brutal slow "

Another observation .. If anyone has any issue with my eligibilty ... no sweat , let me know and I will pull my name form the tally list ... Anybody that knows me , can tell you , the last thing I want is any " bad Karma " / " hurt feelings "

I just submitted pictures based on the criteria and spirt of the contest ... One that my wife took of me with my gear and the 1st buck I arrowed this fall ... and the other I took of a buck I arrowed later in the season ... with my gear in the field at the recovery location .

Looks like I'm 1st place right now , but judging by the amount of good pictures submitted , I doubt it will hold up ...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... vote for whatever picture catches your eye and meets the criteria that Boo explained at the start of the contest ..

Good luck to all ... here is the running tally up to page # 5 and schnarrfuus's vote for Fishnhunter ..

RJ = 8 votes to date
catcher = 6 votes to date
saxman = 4 votes to date
Doemaster = = 4 votes to date (some are disputed due to criteria)(Boo has requested those members re-vote )
Fishnhunter = 3 votes to date
Peach = 3 votes to date
Ger34 = 2 votes to date
Jeeptag = 2 votes to date
Sumner4991 = 2 votes to date
Frenchman = 2 votes to date
Unclefester = 1 vote to date
Planter = 1 vote to date
Rich = 1 vote to date ( he had others but were disputed due to weapon used )
xbowkid = 1 vote to date

PM me if I missed anybody or anything ... Cut off date is Saturday March 14th ... will do final tally and post winners on Sunday March 15th .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Boo

Post by Boo »

RJ, I believe that you should win if this community votes for your pictures. You work harder than any one else here. I see no reason whatsoever to exclude youself.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Boo wrote:RJ, I believe that you should win if this community votes for your pictures. You work harder than any one else here. I see no reason whatsoever to exclude youself.
And he should not. R.J. has just as much right as any of the members. And his contributions to this forum are legend. R.J., your work on this contest is just another example.

Let me make it clear that in my decision process I excluded R.J. for the reasons I stated. His skills regarding photography are unsurpassed here in this forum and most here will agree with this statement.

But this is my decision and not meant to guide or influence any other votes. If we ever have a string making contest the first person I am eliminating is Boo! If we have an arrow making contest I am giving crazyfarmer the boot. Any art contest featuring iron work and Chris4570 is tossed out. If we had a stock making contest and Mark was still around, well, you get the picture.

It goes without saying that I think the world of R.J. and I sure hope he didn't take offense at my thought process for eliminating him. I really love the picture of the kids, it is one of my favorites.

It was never my intention to call for R.J. not to participate in the contest. I was just giving my reasons for not voting for his pictures. If it was construed in any other manner then I sincerely apologize to not only R.J. but everyone else here on the forum.

Well, I take that back. I can't apologize to Boo or crazyfarmer. Boo called me a turkey. :lol:

And CF is shooting all those big bucks and making me look bad! :evil:
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Hey .. no problem Mike .. I was not offended .. Just wanted to make sure it's all on the up and up . No appology required , but very thoughtfull that you even considered it ...

Really , no sweat ... I have found with pictures / art / books / guns / dogs / cars , you name it ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

What appeals to one persons eye , might not even warrant a glance from anothers ...

I'll say one thing though ... I can see over the years on this forum , the picture quantity and quality have really stepped up !

So many awsome shots this year ... to name one example , guys like chris4570 .. man his pictures and creativity with the camera have really grown since his first few pictures posted ... I thought his buck and bow picture were really nicely done this year ..

The Frenchman's grouse harvest with the bow shot was real cool ... and that only names a few ...

Then you have Woody Williams ( who has obviously been posing with many trophies over the years ) ... he and his son always post magazine quality trophy field shots ... Woody even posted a " great read " thread on how to prep and take a quality picture for others to learn from ..

Lets just say , in my humble opinion , if Woody had have posted a crossbow harvest picture this year , the competition would have been even tougher .. :lol: :lol:

I look at he and his sons shots and sometimes think " man I gotta remember that buck pose and hunter composition " when I take my next shot , because it looked real cool and easy on the eye .

That said ... I know from experience , many of us are planning to take an awsome field trophy shot , but many many times the situation dictates a quick snap shot and that's it ( ex: it's dark , after an evening hunt in the rain , and a long drag out ) etc. :lol:

Anyway ... Just wanted to make it clear , I'm not offended in any way ... I guess I could have explained in more detail when I posted earlier , but I was at work , on break , trying to rush a " tally post "

As I said before ... Good Luck to all ... There are still 6 days left for voting and as Boo said " the forum group will decide in the end "

Off to bed now ... finished night shift at 6:00 am , home by 6:30 am ran the dogs this morning , a few chores around the barn ... drove my daughter to school = ( over 1hour round trip ) ... and just got in the door from another search for that older couples missing dog ( which I'm guessing might be in doggy heaven now ) ( just can't shake the idea of him possibly laying somewhere , scared wittless in the cold ) ... it's a dog owner thing ! :oops:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I had a very difficult time trying to decide what picture to vote on. Because there are so many great photos, I had to do some nitpicking. These are great pictures but some little things cost them my vote, congrats to all though on a great season.

My vote will go to Peach because it is a great buck to go along with a great smile. My only hesitation was that the antlers are on kind of a strange angle to see all the tines.

Any of these pictures are well deserving of votes but just some of the notes I had on them.

Crazyfarmer and fishn-hunter would have gotten my vote if smiles were present.
vapredhunter had an awesome pic but a trailer wheel in the background is distracting (great buck though).
Jeeptag's picture was well done except he isn't looking at the camera.
Catcher's like jeeptag was great with the kids involved but at first glance the right side of the rack really blends in with the camo
And finally, Unclefester's piture was awesome. I could tell time was put into getting the deer ready for the pic, but that ever elusive smile didn't show.

Like I said, I had to nitpick because there were so many good pics. Congrats to all.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've been following this thread, and have been struggling with the voting. It's such a tough thing to choose ONE. There are so many really good photos.

I'm impressed with the time and effort that you guys put into composing the photos. It's a joy to look through the photos and celebrate each harvest with you!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

VixChix wrote:I've been following this thread, and have been struggling with the voting. It's such a tough thing to choose ONE. There are so many really good photos.

I'm impressed with the time and effort that you guys put into composing the photos. It's a joy to look through the photos and celebrate each harvest with you!
And your vote is? LOL
Buckstopper

Post by Buckstopper »

Can I vote for myself? LOL

Since I had the pleasure of holding Peach's antlers I have to vote for him as it is a great field photo.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I also would like RJ to know that no offense or anything like that was intended in any way shape or form. I had already made my mind up to exclude RJ's pic by my personal choice for pretty much same reason as MikeP only he beat me to it lol. I quoted MikeP as he is far better with words than I and he wrote pretty much what I wanted to say (except for the "I love ya RJ" part lol as I don't know you that well RJ lol).
Only I would never have got it out right and it would have taken me hours to write something that long lol. I have a 2 finger approach when it comes to typing, even this has taken a while. One thing I did not add is that (again no offense RJ) I felt his pic was a little cluttered and took away from the animal but again just my opinion.
I prefer pics taken in a natural setting with only the essentials in the pic, first and foremost the animal (the star of the show) the happy hunter and the weapon used. It shows enough of the story without taking away from the animal but this again is just my personal preference. I did not get my xbow in my 2nd pic and I do regret it.
At the time I felt the less to carry back while dragging that fella out the better as we had a long long way to go to get him to a vehicle. And lastly I just want to take this time to say thank you once again to Boo and all involved in prizes as well as RJ for making time out of his busy schedule to count votes and all his efforts involved in this contest.
My hats off to you guys and all the successful hunters and huntresses this past season. Success should not be only measured by taking an animal, in my opinion spending time in the woods is success in itself. And as said before by many, great pics this past season hope to see lots more next season. Wow its 3:30am gotta get to bed lol.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn