Taking does

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Re: Taking does

Post by crazyfarmer »

I apologize for any of my posts since I assumed it was directed towards a good friend. However, I'm not apologizing since this friend was basically driven off the forum by BS from certain members. Its bad when members do that to others on here when they claim to be friends.

time may past, but people never forget. Call it ironic, but this post was made 2 days after Mike P came back. The history with this is also ironic.

I just wouldnt make a post that you know certain members could take a totally different route to knowing the past history

by god you dont see my saying much about cuddeback cameras anymore for that reason.. might get pounded on for that LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I commented on this thread early on and forgot about it . . .I almost missed the whole thing . . and really wish I had.

I can't believe how that thread got turned. I thought it was just deer management. I saw the post at the top and saw the number of reads and knew right away something was up.

Wow . . .was I ever stumped. :roll:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

awshucks wrote:Thanks to the friend who linked me to this thread. I learned a lot. :oops: :oops: :oops:
All I learned from this thread is how to add multiple quotes to one post.
The rest I already knew.
There will always be people who will judge the guy beside him, tell him what deer to shoot, when to shoot it and what firearm he needs to use. Telling people what deer to shoot is absolutely no different than telling him what to shoot it with.
Chasing big bucks is a bit out of my league, but I certainly don't condone those who do.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Gee--I was gonna post about how good does taste compared to bucks--we were killin does before doe killing was cool :D :D --now, I dont know what to post :lol: :lol:
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I for one hunt to get out there , wild game- love it!

I am glade the boo posted this, I learn alot as far as deer mamgament.

As for any negative post, I dont even finish reading them.

This is my favoret forum, hope it stays that way. There are some really stand up people here!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

sipsey wrote:Gee--I was gonna post about how good does taste compared to bucks--we were killin does before doe killing was cool :D :D --now, I dont know what to post :lol: :lol:

Me too. I've always said that does were more tender than any of the bucks. Of course, I may have just been saying that to cover up the fact that I like to shoot the first thing that comes along. :lol:

The way I see it . . .if a hunter is legally out there, then they are supporting me. Maybe not for the same reason, but, that person is helping me to continue hunting by financially supporting the sport. He's a friend.

We are all friends.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Boo wrote: That dominant buck will also have a better chance of making it out of the winter
Interesting fact I learned only recently-- A northern whitetail can only "go calling" on 7-10 does, because if buck/doe ratio is worse than that and he has to chase more than that number of does, he is putting himself in a way where he will be unprepared and over exerted for the winter, and depending on the severity of the winter, could end up dead.

August issue of some deer mag (dont remember which one) I was reading in Gander Mtn had an excellent article by Charles Alsemer (sp) He gave the story of one bush he was photographing in. The dominant buck hurt his foot right before chasing season started, and so was out of the running. All the lesser bucks, then, started jostling for the now open "dominant" position. One nice 9 pt came out on the top - just barely - just as the first doe was ready, and he was always with her. The problem was that he had to continually run off 3 - 4 smaller bucks that together were working to get him from her. Alsemer was able to give the story day by day until the doe was done, and suddenly the buck disappeared. He found the buck almost dead laying on the ground, and after it died took it to the vet for a post-mortem. What the vet figured out was that by overexertion his muscles had broken down, leading to his death.

Since reading that I think it has put a new perspective on finding dead deer. I have found a number of real nice dead ones scoring from the 130's to the 160's, and just always figured, "Oh, some sloppy hunter." Well in some of the cases, yes, probably was. The same assumption is followed when you read in hunting mags - they find a huge buck dead, no sign of lead or arrow wound, but just figure "Some poacher." But in all reality, buck might have chased too many ladies, then he ended up in harms way.

A buck might like too many does, but too many does may be bad for him!

Might be interesting around my end of town, though, because through the summer and now these first few weeks of season I have been seeing substantially more bucks than does!
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!