A smoke house build along(Pics added)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Re: A smoke house build along(Pics added)

Post by Raymond »

Today I ripped boards to screw over each crack. I decided to go with the board and batten construction style. I made a small fire in the fire box today. It will help dry things out a bit. The smoke was not going into the smoke house because I have not yet decided whether or not to take and put the pipe on back of the furnace and then pipe it in into the smokehouse or drill a few holes on top of the smoke box inside the smokehouse and cap off the pipe flue on the furnace.

What way would you folks think would be best for me to do this?
I will appreciate some help deciding this. Would it cause a problem by cooling the smoke off with the pipe on the outside?
Here is some photos of the amount of smoke coming out of the smoke hole on the furnace without a fan or anything controlling the smoke.

Tomorrow I will start screwing the strips of wood over the cracks. There is a few more things to do on the outside of the smokehouse yet and I will do that as quickly as I can. I am looking forward to being able to use the smoke house. I have some trout that I would like to smoke. That will be my first test with this smoke house.
Raymond
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Looking good raymond , I would pipe it into the back at the bottom then vent at the top in front, that would draw the smoke up and forword , then if you need more venting you you can use the adjustable vents on each side, :roll:
Just a thought, Controll heat at bottom, Controll smoke @ top vents. :?

P.S. Pace yourself

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Things are smoking Ramond :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Wow, that's coming along real well, I can smell the aroma of smoked meat and fish from here!!! :D
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

papa bear1 wrote:Looking good raymond , I would pipe it into the back at the bottom then vent at the top in front, that would draw the smoke up and forword , then if you need more venting you you can use the adjustable vents on each side, :roll:
Just a thought, Controll heat at bottom, Controll smoke @ top vents. :?

P.S. Pace yourself

Dave :)
The idea of the piping from the flue pipe into the bottom of the smokehouse for the smoke and venting is what I actually was thinking also. Do I need a damper in the smoke pipe going into the smokehouse? Also, just to make sure it is clear for me, are you saying to put a vent pipe with a damper out through the roof on the end that has the fire box door? That is what I was thinking. I am thinking a 4" pipe with damper and a chimney cap. I believe we are on the same page.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

taz3 wrote:Wow, that's coming along real well, I can smell the aroma of smoked meat and fish from here!!! :D
Now to cover the roof and screw the batten boards over the cracks and a few more details, thermometers, etc. to finish and oh boy will I be in business. Probably will take some practice to get it right. Smoking from the BBQ was easy, hopefully it will not be that much harder with this contraption, :roll: :roll: . I think I will do alright after a few practices.
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Smokehouse looks great Raymond and it's putting out a big ole smoke cloud for sure. Can't wait to see some meat hanging in there.

I think you may have inspired me to make a smaller scale smoker for myself. :)
Last edited by j.krug on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

j.krug wrote:Smokehouse looks great Raymond and it's putting out a big ole smoke cloud for sure. Can't wait to see some meat hanging in there.

I think you may have inspired me to one a smaller scale smoker for myself. :)
Hey Jim,
Thanks for the complement, It has been a fun build also. Slow but it is shaping up. I open the doors after the fire was burning for awhile and it was nice and toasty warm in there with all the cracks.

I think I will change the build name to a Heated Deer Blind, :lol: :lol: :lol: . Drag that thing down through the woods and get a very long chimney pipe, and hook up some cooling fans, :lol: :lol: :lol: . What could be better, :lol: :lol: . If I can turn this into a little business to help the household with some income it will be awesome. After I get the hang of this contraption I know it will work great. I have a friend that has farmed raised trout, I did some smoking on the BBQ this summer, and let me tell you that trout was delicious. Farm raised trout and haddock is my first smoking after it is perfected. I haven't got any venison, but there is going to be some pork butt and racks of pork ribs in their. Oh and I can't forget the BACON, :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like a great deer stand Raymond. It would be nice and warm, the smoke would provide excellent cover scent and if you get hungry just reach over and grab some smoked pepperettes!! Perfect!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
maple

Post by maple »

Nice work Raymond!! It's awful big. How ya going to fill it?? More huntin' and fishin' I think!

Here's a pic of the cold smoker I built a few years ago. Works great, and keeps the ashes off the fish.

Raymond

Post by Raymond »

maple wrote:Nice work Raymond!! It's awful big. How ya going to fill it?? More huntin' and fishin' I think!

Here's a pic of the cold smoker I built a few years ago. Works great, and keeps the ashes off the fish.

I have a few good friends that are Fish Dragger Captains and they own their own boats. They have told me to call them on the VHF and they will let me know when they are arriving at the wharf to unload their catches and they will load me up with what I want. That is pretty cool idea you had for your cold smoker. I like it. I plan on making a cold smoker with the inside of a electric hot water tank that I have. I do have another idea also that I seen on Archery Talk. I will post that idea also when I am finished the exterior of the smoke house. I worked a little bit on it today. I takes time for me because I have a lot of back and leg pain along with major headaches. I will be finished hopefully by the end of the weekend.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

BeerNutz1960 wrote:Raymond,
After reading your "Pain" thread I've decided you are one tough
Son Of A........ Gun to be in able to build that smoker in the condition you're in. I'm sure your efforts will be evident in the taste of the food you make.
Cheers
I have no choice but to keep moving around. Thanks for your comments, I don't want to brag but I was always quite tough. You know the saying, "Full of piss and Vinegar", well it is true actually but lately the Vinegar is getting gone, :lol: :lol: :lol: . I think I will grab the wife's jug of vinegar and top me up, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . If I just stop and let the pain take me over completely I would be totally no good then. I have to fight the good fight. I hope the smoker will work, I think it will. I am looking forward to testing it out. I probably will not be smoking a whole load for a while until I am use to the smoker and my back has to be a great deal better than it is now.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I was able to only put a couple batten boards on today. I never took any photos. I know it is going slow. I am still waiting for the Epidural spinal injection, I am still being weaned off of the pain medication. I am down to a half a pill at night before bed. Next week, no pain med at all, and boy do I hope I get a call this week to schedule the appointment for next week. Just want to check in.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Here are a few pics that I had on the camera from between Jan 30th. to Feb 8th. Haven't felt good enough to do anymore. Friends have offered to finish it for me but I would rather finish it myself later on. I thanked them anyway.

The roof has aluminium sheeting on it. I may put some sort of insulation board on the outside later on and finish covering it with the same sheeting as I put on the roof at a later date. I still have the Chimney(Exhaust) pipe with a damper to be installed yet and I need to purchase some thermometers sometime. Where is a good place in Canada to be able to buy thermometers? They tell me to get a regular BBQ/Smoker Thermometer with a 2.5" shaft and to get a digital thermometer with to probes, one for the meat and one for the interior of the smoke house.

Thanks,
Raymond
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

home depot or Can tire have digital thermo's, I bought one from the depot for $25 along with the main unit it came with a small remote that you can carry when your away from the smoker
Smoker is looking good by the way!
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home