GoPro camera mount? Done with Video

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Re: GoPro camera mount?

Post by taz3 »

Even the sound is great, that is pretty impressive video considering it's not at it's full potential.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Pydpiper

Re: GoPro camera mount? Done with Video

Post by Pydpiper »

So the link worked? It isn't working for me.

I see I lost the "wide angle" view when I went to low resolution, at the cost of a view of the stirrup.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Ya, no problem for me, it was fine. :D
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Hey piper, are you using movie maker? if so i can tell you how to elimnate sounds and even add audio if you like, lol, its fairly simple,
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am using movie maker, yes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I see I can edit the sound for each small clip, I am happy with the regular speed stuff, it is nice to get a good idea of what the bow sounds like from a different perspective. The slow-motion one though, needs some help. The second clip slows down the arrow from 600+ MPH, it needs its sound changed to something more pleasant.
Also, it will be handy when I start putting together some hunting clips. Took me a bit to just figure out how to crop the front and back off the video to make it smaller, so go easy on me with the audio stuff.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Well you best bet, is you can overlay an song, wich is what i do to hide the sounds i dont want to hear, on the clips you dont want to hear at all, mute them and then the clips with the sounds you want present, leave as is or fiddle with it, thats why i added the music to the video i made, all that you could hear the whole time was wind noise, so i muted all the clips, and added audio,
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

That is one sweet looking piece of equipment, I like.
Raymond
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Like the set up and the Go Pro video quality .

Another option would be to mount the go pro from your ground pounder mount . I have a Wyvern side mount that I mounted a Moultrie action camera on using part of an Excalibur quiver I cut down . had to do some Tool and Die by eye to make it but works well . Will get the kids to show mw how to post some pictures .
NonTypicalCPA

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

How long before Excal comes out with their own mount? Hint Hint
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Having the camera on the bow has a disadvantage though, you have to be pointing the bow in the direction of what you want it to see in order to pick it up effectively.
There are many mounts available to film a hunt, and I think the head mount will be what I want for most occasions. I will get to a point in my life where I have so many deer in front of me that I could compile all the video in to the ones that are just "right in front", but I am not there yet.
My goal is to get enough video clips together that I can sit and watch my own hunting show on a Sunday morning. :D
It's not just the "kills" that I want to see, it is the unique stuff that passes by randomly on a hunt that makes me think "If only I had that on video!". For instance, last year during a turkey hunt I watched a hen wander out past me at 30 yards, a few minutes later I heard her squawk and buzz past me in high speed with a bald eagle in full spread hot on her heels, all just a few yards in front of me.
I remember it all like it is embedded in my head, but it is nice to be able to bring it home and share it with those who weren't there. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.
The GoPro has a tremendous "wide angle" that will pick up more than the human eye, but it would be nice to keep it all centered.
WMU 91
Boo string
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

i might make myself a mount for mine, soon , then also i have a handheld cam that is compact i will be able to strap to a tree or hold by hand, and get a couple different angles
mtnjim

Post by mtnjim »

here's how I set it up on my Ghost 400 with an adapter kit from the boys over at http://insanearchery.com

unfortunately, the shot vibration was enough to shock the camera off, which corrupted the video file for playback... :(

I still think some sort of center mount would be best, probably attached to/above the scope.

I have a Trek Pod walking stick/tripod that I've shot a lot of digital stills and video from. It has a cool quick detach gizmo called a Magmount Ball Head that you can buy separately or in their Opti-mount kit. Now to figure out how to get that mounted over the scope somehow...

One thing I don't like about the Go Pro or Contour is no zoom feature. It would be really cool with a center mounted video camera over the scope, that would zoom into where your crosshairs are, using Lumenok equipped arrows... 8)

mtnjim
Barnett Ghost 400 (first "uninformed" crossbow purchase)
Future Excalibur owner...;-)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mtnjim wrote: One thing I don't like about the Go Pro or Contour is no zoom feature. It would be really cool with a center mounted video camera over the scope, that would zoom into where your crosshairs are, using Lumenok equipped arrows... 8)

mtnjim
Bow looks good! Did you consider a Velcro strap around the camera to keep it from coming off? I had the same problem with my rangefinder on the Excal mount.
As far as zoom with the sports cameras, they were designed more around close up shots (and angle) than distance, and optical zooms are not common on waterproof cameras. The resolution is so intense with the GoPro that digital zoom can be used during the editing stage without losing quality.
What ever works! As long as you get out and hunt their is no good, better, best. :D Hunt safe and hunt often!
WMU 91
Boo string
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

David, can't wait until the Wi-fi Remote comes out should be out
soon. Should be a lot of good videos to share this winter!!
Last edited by Onetimeonly x--> on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
mtnjim

Post by mtnjim »

Pydpiper wrote:
mtnjim wrote: Did you consider a Velcro strap around the camera to keep it from coming off?
didn't mean the cam actually came off the mount at the shot, but it was enough to turn the recording off.

never edited using the zoom feature yet. good to know that the go pro resolution can handle that well, thanks.
Barnett Ghost 400 (first "uninformed" crossbow purchase)
Future Excalibur owner...;-)