Snuffbox's custom stock build

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Snuffbox's custom stock build

Post by sumner4991 »

Nice . . .can't wait till that stock draws first blood . . .hopefully Mike will be finished with it before that happens . . . :shock: :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

sumner4991 wrote:Nice . . .can't wait till that stock draws first blood . . .hopefully Mike will be finished with it before that happens . . . :shock: :lol:
Unfortunately we're not allowed to hunt over here.
However we shoot 3ds and we shoot at least twice a month.
I'm serious enough about my shooting that I'm willing to invest into my hobby to get the best out of it.
Been shooting bows and arrows for thirty years now and got bitten with the crossbow bug last year.
Also got a shoulder injury that makes drawing and holding a 30lb vert purgatory but I can cock a150lb crossbow and shoot ok. :D
spitfire carl

Post by spitfire carl »

While i think about it Snuff, if you use a crankaroo to string your bows, my Crank used to mark my stock just behind the cheekpiece on the top. Cured it by sticking a piece of thin leather on the very front underside of the Crank where it contacts.
Don`t want that nice stock to get any marks on it matey! :)
Point Blanc
Exomax
Vortex
Predator T/D
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Well Carl our society's shooting rules stipulate that we can't use cocking aids of any kind,the art of making a good shot being that we should be able to manually cock the bow accurately by hand,much the same as you would for a vertical bow.
The reasoning for this is that it is very much the archers effort going into making the shot.
We wouldn't attempt to shoot a vertical bow of any style that we couldn't manage to draw properly so the same applies to crossbows.
Also this limits the poundage of the bows we use so we don't suffer excessive target damage.
We limit ourselves to 300 fps so we don't need a lot of power.
Now if we were to be out harvesting deer for the freezer as you guys do then powerful bows with cocking aids are the way to go.
We just need to be able to get our arrows to stick into a foamy plasticky 3d so our art comes in to the estimating correctly the distance ,lining the correct marker for the distance and shooting
strum

Post by strum »

Man its starting to take shape now..Snuff you are a lucky man.. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

strum wrote:Man its starting to take shape now..Snuff you are a lucky man.. :D
Stan;
You know how some customers you can talk to and they have a blank look on their face like what you said goes right over their head. Well talking to Paul is the complete opposite. He does'nt skip a beat. Really a fun person to build for. Understands any problem that comes up. I just sent him a teaser question to see his response. I'm betting we match on summaries.He is a joy to work for. :D
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

I can say the same for Mike,having this stock built is one of the best things I've done for ages.
Thought communication may be a problem because of the distance but Mike is sympathetic to my every whim.
And it's fun :D
agingcrossbower

Here is the pic. Thats your stock with an Ibex rail. I marked back two inches from the washer and that makes it 5/8" from the stock. May I suggest that since your are shifting your forearm and cheek back that you elimate some from your forearm end. It serves know purpose only to add more weight to where you do not need it. I'd take off an inch for sure. Let me know.

spitfire carl

Post by spitfire carl »

snuffbox wrote:Well Carl our society's shooting rules stipulate that we can't use cocking aids of any kind,the art of making a good shot being that we should be able to manually cock the bow accurately by hand,much the same as you would for a vertical bow.
The reasoning for this is that it is very much the archers effort going into making the shot.
We wouldn't attempt to shoot a vertical bow of any style that we couldn't manage to draw properly so the same applies to crossbows.
Also this limits the poundage of the bows we use so we don't suffer excessive target damage.
We limit ourselves to 300 fps so we don't need a lot of power.
Now if we were to be out harvesting deer for the freezer as you guys do then powerful bows with cocking aids are the way to go.
We just need to be able to get our arrows to stick into a foamy plasticky 3d so our art comes in to the estimating correctly the distance ,lining the correct marker for the distance and shooting
Yeah i know Snuff. I was asking whether you used a Crankaroo to STRING your X-Bow. Not COCK the crossbow! You misunderstood me.
Point Blanc
Exomax
Vortex
Predator T/D
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Aaaah,Sorry Carl,yeah just read crankaroo and assumed.
No I use the Excal stringer for changing/ putting on strings.
I thought the crankaroo was just a cocking device.
spitfire carl

Post by spitfire carl »

No worries! I`ll let you off! :) I put the Stringer on the limbs then attach the Crankaroo to the stringer and wind it up just to the point before it latches. (The Crankaroo utilises a ratchet so it`ll stay put when you stop winding)Put ya string on, and unwind (slowly) the Crankaroo. Hey presto, your bow`s strung without any effort. Especially good on the high poundage bows. :D
Last edited by spitfire carl on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Point Blanc
Exomax
Vortex
Predator T/D
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D that stock is looking great!!! it's great seeing it come to life in the forum in every post you do, great job mike!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

spitfire carl wrote:No worries! I`ll let you off! :) I put the Stringer on the limbs then attach the Crankaroo to the stringer and wind it up just to the point before it latches. (The Crankaroo utilises a ratchet so it`ll stay put when you stop winding)Put ya string on, and unwind (slowly) the Crankaroo. Hey presto, your bow`s strung without any effort. Especially good on the high poundage bows. :D

I have severe brainfartitis at times Carl,I get overtired due to a bit of a condition I have and forget things like you live in England too :roll:
spitfire carl

Post by spitfire carl »

Ha. Yeah. It`s the English weather you know that causes the fuzziness. And travelling over here to this forum causes jet lag too!! :roll:
Point Blanc
Exomax
Vortex
Predator T/D
agingcrossbower

The last of cutting the excess off is on the forearm. I made snuff's a little bigger as he wanted.

This step is very important. I drill very small holes centered along the long thickness of the blank top and bottom. The reason for these is a reference to keep everything straight.