Home Built Xbow Target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boltshooter

Home Built Xbow Target

Post by Boltshooter »

Does anyone have any thoughts on constructing a home-made target that will stop a high velocity crossbow bolt? I have a feeling the old "haybale lashed together with twine" system isn't going to be satisfactory for shooting the exomax. Funds are somewhat depleted after the recent crossbow purchas,:wink: I'd rather save for a scope than for a commercial target.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Divemaster920

Post by Divemaster920 »

Use an old burlap bag and fill it with old used clothes, i get mine from Goodwill they will give you bags of them, the ones that they can not sell. You can also use house wrap material{tyvek} and it will be some what water resistant.
Works great and will stop any arrow.
CD
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I have a farmers feed bag filled with plastic grocery bags. The feed bag itself is like a giant woven plastic bag. You need about 1500 plastic grocery bags jammed in really tight. The whole unit is nice and light and the field points pull out really easily. I've heard an old roll of carpet works well too.
JRS

Post by JRS »

Maybe there is something here you can use.

http://free.prohosting.com/~mfoster/arc ... rgets.html
ch312

Post by ch312 »

a feed sack full of old work clothes stops bolts from my exomax at 5 ft....

they only go in about half way and the bolts are super easy to pull out.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I also use a feedsack,, Cost $0.25 cents for the small sacks and $0.50 for the larger ones and I stuffed them with stretch wrap, but I like the idea of using old clothes... Lord knows I have enough around that don't fit me anymore. We usually donate a bag of clothes every few months to charity... Maybe I will have to use some next time.. :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
frisky

Post by frisky »

being in shiping and receiving, I use shrink wrap the static
cling (industral saran wrap) stuff pallats are wraped in.
I get a cardboard box about 20 in square and STUFF
it full careful to have no voids. I put a bull on each of the six sides and use them all. When it gets shot out I dump it and start over . Now this works w/ my 150 pound PSE.....it MAY NOT work with a "heavy hitter"
use your own discrestion.........
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Digger

Post by Digger »

I use the burlap bag. Then go to local hardware store and get a lot of used fiberglass screening from his old screen doors and windows repairs. Cut itinto strips and stuff the bag with as much as I can get in. Bolts come out with 2 fingers.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Digger.s target works great !!! I made one this spring and it stops my max , and the bolts come out with 2 fingers. Best of all it cost.s almost nothing.. :D :D GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
maddog

Post by maddog »

I agree with Divemaster920 and ch312...........any burlap type bag filled with old pillows or clothes has worked great for me. Target points pull out with 2 fingers. And it has got to be the cheapest target going!

Bill
Camper

Post by Camper »

Go with the Feed Bag stuffed with grocery bags. It stops my exomag bolts and they pull out really easy. I leave the target outside so I have to put the target in a new feed bag every 4 months. works great.
Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
A.W

Re: Home Built Xbow Target

Post by A.W »

Boltshooter wrote:I have a feeling the old "haybale lashed together with twine" system isn't going to be satisfactory
It wont do it. Digger and I shot some bolts at Gagnon's Sports. They had the haybale backstop and it was the 3/4 inch plywood that stopped the bolts but the bolts were going part through the ply.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Boltshooter

Post by Boltshooter »

:D Thanks for the tips guys. I will probably go with the burlap sack stuffed with old clothes that your replies suggest.
"BORDERS, LANGUAGE, AND CULTURE"
Lee

Post by Lee »

Boltshooter, I made a 1.5x1.5 square tube frame 4' wide by 5' high on wheels its like a bale tighter only I use tintest compressed down, it will stop any crossbow. Lee
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

I use a long noose attached to a big tree where I swing a large tarp containing various body parts of Dead Iraq Ragheads! Works Great!

Deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!