One little tornado can spoil your whole weekend!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bill T

One little tornado can spoil your whole weekend!

Post by Bill T »

I've just spent the weekend attempting to clean up after a tornado flattened whe whole south side of the concession Kath and I live in. We were pretty much not touched, unless you consider that our best deer spots are now flattened, but a lot of our friends and neighbors weren,t so lucky. Marni, the lady who designs our brochure etc, and her husband Tom were among the less fortunate and they lost three major barns, storage sheds, implement sheds, and a ton of machinery and crops. The Tornado was described as a moderate F2, which I think refers to wind speed, but the damage path was huge, up to 3/4 mile in spots. I am extremely impressed with the tremendous outpouring of help that came not from the government, but from people who just wanted to help. Things like a caterer who just drove in on Sat and opened a truck to feed us, no charge, then left for the next farm,and the guy with the backhoe who showed up and worked all day. On top of that probably 30 people, (some complete strangers), were helping to clear debris and smashed trees at the farmhouse while who knows how many others were at the barns doing the same. Kinda restores my faith in human nature! Our community is pretty beat up and there are a lot of personal tragedys that won't be resolved for years, but it's spirit of caring is stronger than ever.
Last edited by Bill T on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

WOW :shock: I hope no one was hurt and I hope your friends and neighbours are back on their feet shortly. It kinda puts everything into perspective with what is really important in life doesn't it.

Nick
SHOREhunter18

Post by SHOREhunter18 »

ya, it was quite the storm, i live just outside Fergus where it hit, luckly we missed it!!! we went for a drive today and there are still lots of clean up to be done! the forest where i was planning to hunt deer was destroyed..the trees were either broke in the middle or up rooted!! thank god no one was hurt because the storm covered a lot of area!!

zack
big dog

Post by big dog »

Bill,
Glad you and your wife are fine-hope everything works out ok,glad to hear there are a few decent people still around.
big dog
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It's biitersweet news. It's too bad to hear about all the damage, however property can be replaced, whereas lives cannot. Like you say Bill, it's in times of need that one realizes that "mankind" is generally good and compassionate.

Here in Toronto, we were spared from the tornado, but there were some flood basements, as well as one main thoroughfare/road that collapsed, leaving about a 100 foot chasm/trench.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I agree with comfy! you can replace property...........glad your safe BT hope and wish well to all..Hope the clean up goes well..and lives are mended.. :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Bill,

I have a LOT of sympathy for you.

I went through the same thing last year when an F2 hit our house.

It caused $65,000 worth of damages by dropping two huge trees on our house..

A big limb came through the roof and spam ceiling just barely missing my wife. Thank the good Lord.

Our neighbors were wonderful as they were at our door within 10 minutes of the storm passing.

Our repair contractor was great as was our insurance company. They never quibbled one bit on the contractor's estimates. Just pumpd out the checks.

The house is now in better shape than it was before the storm..There is a bright side.

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
grizzled47

Tornado

Post by grizzled47 »

Coming from England, I have never experienced the effects of a tornado, but I would think it is pretty scary!! My wife has been caught up in one, and she told me it is quite an experience. I feel sorry for the people who were touched by these latest one's in Ontario. I was glad to hear that despite all the devastation, there were no serious injuries...or worse!
Lets hope that everyone soon gets their lives back together again, and what a relief to find that friends and strangers alike still rally around in these times of hardship. I hope that I won't ever get caught in a bad tornado, but you just never know! Good to hear that you are all ok .
Grizzled.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bill T.,
Sorry to hear of the disaster, but glad to hear nobody was injured. Here in southern Ohio we get a few tornados, and the destruction is unbelievable in it's random pattern in many cases. I don't know how many times I've seen a path of destruction flatten buildings and trees then skip over something in the path, then resume?????
wabi
DJH

Post by DJH »

Bill - So thankful there was no loss of life. Material things can be replaced, special individuals will leave a hole forever. Glad you missed the brunt of it. Good luck in the cleanup.
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
striper

Post by striper »

Bill: We are sorry about your loss. Here in Alabama, tornadoes are common but always scary. Glad you are OK. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Bill,, sorry to hear about your communities sad event.. But I am glad to hear that you and Kath are ok & there was no physical injury's to anyone & the support you are getting from nieghbours, friends and strangers really does restore your faith in mankind...

All the best to you and your nieghbours
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Glad to see you , your loved ones and nieghbours are ok.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Sorry to hear about this, but at least you're safe and sound. My wife and I were wiped out by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. There was a lot of property loss but we weren't hurt, fortunately we were in Illinois when it hit. The material things can be replaced over time. Events like this bring out the best ... and unfortunately sometimes the worst in people.

Evan
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

we gott it pretty good down here in Oklahoma..being in the so called Tornado alley we have great weather man coverage anytime there is a chance of those Tornados touching ground..Ive seen many growin up in Oklahoma... so during that time of year if it looks like possible tornado weather I stay up all night or until the storm is gone to make sure my family is safe.There is always plenty of time it seems ..nock on wood.to load up and drive away out of its path....we have had many close calls over the years. my Moms car was lifted and pushed sideways on her way home while sitting at a stop light..The closest one from my house was a mile down the road luckly it was a f2 and only the trees and shingles were suffering here at home....tore up some houses down the road but we were ok...Bill hope you guys get good weather reports when that beast is in town..we had a f5 pass about 7 miles from here about 5 years ago..DAMN now thats a killer twister...I went and checked out the damage afterwards and let me tell you even the dry barin earth was ripped up by the twister...it thru school busses and stuff in the lake and killed many cows..it was as nasty as i have ever seen...really humble sight it was..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!