rocket steelheads ok for xbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taxman

rocket steelheads ok for xbow?

Post by taxman »

thats what i want to use but ive been reading not to use them. if i do use them should i use 2 bands to keep them closed? what about the spitfire? anybody use those heads w/ xbow? i know that they dont have bands. ive taken some deer w/ them w/ my compound.

thanks

tax
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

If there not fixed blades you don't need to use them. Even with 2 bands it will still come open. The speed and kinetic energy released from the xbow will not allow them to work properly. Also it could hit your rail, which will affect your accuracy. I wouldn't use them.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/nudo7/Nudo7.jpg[/img]
Camper

Post by Camper »

Nudo7 Wrote,

If there not fixed blades you don't need to use them. Even with 2 bands it will still come open. The speed and kinetic energy released from the xbow will not allow them to work properly. Also it could hit your rail, which will affect your accuracy. I wouldn't use them.

That is so not true!!!!
Before I give my reasons I would like to say that it is a personal choice which broadhead you use (fixed or mechanical) I am not against fixed broadheads!!!
But..

I use Mechanicals (and have used fixed blades) with My Exomag Here is a post I replied to on another form

Well I have to say that I have had nothing but great results with Mechanicals. I have used Rockets and those walmart Easton mechanicals (if you can beleive it) Both fly like field points. the Rockets opened up flawlessly at 12 yards with the bolt shooting at 325fps and at 43yards. The Easton expandables I used last year that I bought at Walmart (Laugh if you want) made a complete pass through on a doe at 15yards sending her 20 yards to her death. when I skinned her, there was a perfect three blade hole on the entrance and exit wound. The bolt was also shooting at 325fps. Having said that,
I see peoples point about less mechanics, less problem . That's why I bought an excalibur.
I may in the future go back to Fixed blade broadheads but for now I am getting perfect accuracy , penetration, reliability,and wound channels from mechanicals. I cannot speak about the Nap mechanicals as I have never shot them.

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Camper

Post by Camper »

Sorry I screwed up and quoted my own words :oops: instead of Nudo7
on my last post

The other thing was regarding the elastics, I use 2 and they have never even touched my rail with them. Usually the manufacture states that you should use 2 elastics if your Arrow or bolt is travelling over 300fps. I always relace the elastics if they had been on for a season as they tend to lose their elasticity and become brittle>

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Well I stand corrected then. It wasn't from experence, it was what I was told from a couple of users in the past. It definatley requires a little more up keep though. So I personally just want to keep it simple is all. Just as Camper recommends its a personal choice.
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

The Muzzy fixed blades I'm using are very accurate. The same hole would not be a problem, unless I forgot to remove the first arrow.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

I have been using the Rocky Mt. Snyper mechanicals. They work great, and have a 1 3/8 cutting diameter when open. I got a supply of dental bands that seem to be a lot stronger and cheaper than the manufacturers bands. Get them from any orthodontist. They deploy perfectly every time.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
taxman

??

Post by taxman »

HOW could the deployed head hit the rail? am i missing something here? i shoot 20" bolts and they stick out about 2 inches from rail. i guess i just need to shoot 1 and see for my self.

tax
oneshot 1

Post by oneshot 1 »

I've shot Rockets and Vortex the last three years love both.

Here is an exit wound on a large Doe,30 yards,with 125gr. Vortex.

oneshot
Digger

Re: ??

Post by Digger »

taxman wrote:HOW could the deployed head hit the rail? am i missing something here? i shoot 20" bolts and they stick out about 2 inches from rail. i guess i just need to shoot 1 and see for my self.

tax
Probably meant to say if they deployed when fired the blade may hit the stirrip.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Nudo7

Post by Nudo7 »

Yes thank you Digger... I couldn't remember the name of that thingy.. :oops: Footgrabber...holder...hand rail.... :lol:
Thats Right!!
Member NRA
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Its what you like and how much you want to spend, i heard good things about the spitfire and tried them, they were $30.00 for 3, I found them
too fragile when shot you had to work on them, I think they were opening
because the accuracy was bad.
I liked the looks of the NAP Shockwave the band does not go around the blades it goes under the bottom end of the blades. Its a lot stronger head.
They shoot like field points and will not open when shot through the mesh
on my doghouse blind. They cost $20.00 for 3.

Tar Heel
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

OK I have to ask.

If the fixed blade broadheads like Muzzy's, Slick Tricks, Wasp's, G5 Montec's etc. shoot EXACTLY the same as a field point, in other words, they are PERFECTLY accurate. And they cut well and make a nice hole, why would you throw another point of failure into the equation? I see absolutely no advantage to using something that might fail over something that won't fail and works just as well in every other aspect???

No disrespect intended to the mechanical guys, but someone please enlighten me? Give me 1 advantage of a mechanical broadhead over a quality fixed blade.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Partikle wrote: Give me 1 advantage of a mechanical broadhead over a quality fixed blade.
Cutting diameter.

This past spring I used the Slick Tricks for my turkey hunt, and I must say they did a hell of a job. However next year I'm gonna go with some good mechanicals for the turkey hunt, more than likely the Wasp Jackhammers.
For deer and moose hunting I went back to shooting fixed blades after a couple of years of shooting Spitfires.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

LoneWolf wrote:
Partikle wrote: Give me 1 advantage of a mechanical broadhead over a quality fixed blade.
Cutting diameter.

This past spring I used the Slick Tricks for my turkey hunt, and I must say they did a hell of a job. However next year I'm gonna go with some good mechanicals for the turkey hunt, more than likely the Wasp Jackhammers.
For deer and moose hunting I went back to shooting fixed blades after a couple of years of shooting Spitfires.
I thought someone might say that but all the mechanicals I saw had the same cutting diameter (or very close diameter) as most of the fixed blades. What is the cutting diameter on the Jackhammers?