Bait effectiveness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

Bait effectiveness

Post by RichardS »

Just wondering what kind of bait you guys are using. I used to love corn but with the infestation of wild turkeys any grains are more or less out of the picture. I used apples and had some success.

The pond in my forest is an awesome watering hole but the newly acquired property I would like to hunt (Nice Bucks there) has no near water source.

There are alfalfa fields all around it and newly planted hay fields so I am skeptical of the effectiveness of bait but still plan to try.

I think monitoring the movement patterns will be the key to success.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
-Richard-
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I mostly use grains, had my choice of wheat or barley, so I bought barley. They absolutely cleaned it all up every time I put it out. Wheat works good, so does oats. But what they really like the most if they can get it, is field peas, both yellow and green. Deer will travel miles if they know its there. I went to where a train derailed several years ago, and scraped field peas, on the ground, that had spilled out of hopper cars. It was like feeding them candy.

I put out apples last week, checked my bait sites, and only a few apples were eaten at each place, was a little disappointed. Maybe it takes awhile for them to get accustomed.

I should also mention, I only use the grains in the bush. A week or two after the first frost, the deer are drawn to the alfalfa fields like magnets. We got close to 200 acres of alfalfa. This is right about the time the bucks are chasing the does, and can be seen in these fields rutting.

Grey Owl
TYE

Post by TYE »

Hi Richard, I hunt on a farm out in Cavan, near Tapley 1/4 Line area, he has corn fields. I tried using salt licks, but the dang deer only came to those when I wasn't there. Go figure.

I know there are alot of deer out there, cuz I saw over a dozen deer during turkey season.

I'm gonna try doing some calling this year.

I haven't thought of any ways to bait them this year.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I find baiting works great. I don't know all the stuff in it but at the feed store they call it a sweet horse feed. It has grain and corn but I think it is the mollassas that they like. They love this stuff. It cost $14.00 for 40kg bag. I hunt on a farm where the deer have a choice. Either corn, soy bean, or my food plot and they like the sweet feed best.
boogap

Post by boogap »

I think they're full of apples right now. Seems to be a good crop this year!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Get a bag of corn and a bag of soybeans and mix them together. It works very well. I'm using that and I'll be using some of the Sweetfeed too.
Ga.XbowCop

Bait effectiveness

Post by Ga.XbowCop »

Can't bait down here but I have found that patterning works well for me. Watch the fields from a vantage point for a couple of days and the climb a tree or build a blind where the deer enter. I have use this type of hunting several times with great effectiveness. Good luck
If you keep a child in the woods and off the streets, I won,t have to deal with them when they grow up.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Shakky sent me some pics of a home made gravity feeder he uses. I'm sitting in my office now puting some of the pieces together.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.