Registering firearms

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

Registering firearms

Post by RichardS »

If I were to buy an unregistered firearm and than registered it myself would there be any problems in regards to it not being registered already. I currently hunt with all of my fathers (registered) firearms but may have a chance at purchasing my own but am worried about the possibility of finding an unregistered firearm and the process of registering it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Richard-
ALINALBERTA

Post by ALINALBERTA »

Hey RichardS, I personally don't know for sure but according to these guys you can,if you have the patience! http://p087.ezboard.com/falbertaoutdoor ... =150.topic

...Al.
BOB VANDRISH

Registering firearms.

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

My gut feeling is that the person who currently owns the gun would have to register it first,and then it can be legally be transferred,assuming you have a PAL permit that would allow you to buy it.
You cannot legally acquire any gun without a PAL.
I also think that there may be a late filing penalty for the current owner,if that gun is not registered,as that was all supposed to have been completed some time back.
They have you coming and going, believe me!
I just recently had to renew my POL,which is for possession only,and there was a section for my wife to sign,that they indicated that while it was NOT mandatory that she sign,but,if she did not sign,it was up to the Chief Fireams Officer to call her to tell her that I was re-applying to renew my ownership certificate.
Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy?
How about that,sports fans?
Bob Vandrish.
Sliver

Re: Registering firearms.

Post by Sliver »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:!
I just recently had to renew my POL,which is for possession only,and there was a section for my wife to sign,that they indicated that while it was NOT mandatory that she sign,but,if she did not sign,it was up to the Chief Fireams Officer to call her to tell her that I was re-applying to renew my ownership certificate.
Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy?
How about that,sports fans?
BOB
I know a fella who's wife actually got the call when he first applied for his POL... They actually asked her if she had any reason why her husband should not have a gun :shock: :roll: unbelievable I know, but it happened ..... Good thing his wife loves him :lol: :wink:

I have my PAL and can't wait to see what kind of crap will be involved with renewal in 2008 :roll:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
ch312

Post by ch312 »

quite a few guys on the canadian gun nutz website have registered firearms after the deadline a few years ago and nobody has had a problem yet.

you just need to get the gun verified and you should have the certificate for the gun in the normal time it takes the CFC to process it. whats that....10 months? :lol:
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Just bought a .270 A-bolt from a friend about 3 weeks ago. He had it registered already. I had no problems with registering it, and had the paper work back in just a few weeks. Surprisingly how fast it was.

I confessed to her and said that I had not registered any of my firearms, she said no problem, but I should register it as soon as possible, at no cost.

Believe me, their more happy and relived your registering it, than you are worried about getting charged.

I'm 46 years old, and thinking about joining the army or police force, why not, at least then I'll have a gun.

Grey Owl
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Here's what I found at the Canadian Firearms Centre site under FAQ's:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp#a5

I don't think you have to drag your original owner in on this. Just go and register it and there shouldn't be a problem. There are millions of firearms that still aren't registered and the government is only too happy with those that come forward to register their firearms.

If you want to be absolutely sure, call them and give them the old " Ì have a friend of a friend..." and get the person's name you spoke to. They may even direct you to some publication or law saying that they will not procecute or fine those that come forward on their own.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

No problem. For how long though............
DT10Sam

Post by DT10Sam »

You will not be able to simply register the gun without first going to a verfier and have the firearm verified. I have verified many guns that have not been registered and then have had my customers go on line and register them. You require a Verifiers ID number and the firearm number that the verifier obtains from the firearms database that he/she has.

Go to your local verifier and have the process completed. You will not be in any trouble since the government wnats to have all the firearms they can registered. In the very near future you will require proof of registration in order to hunt. Apparently that has already taken place in Ontario. The Ministry of Natural Resources has a check point setup for moose and are accompanied by the RCMP who then checks for firearm registration. The RCMP are at the present time the only police force checking since they are federal officers and the province is not enforcing the firearms act.

Hope this is of help to you.

Best regards,
Sam
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Word on the street is that the house of commons has refused the gun registery on it's seventh reading, "It's wasting too much money". They cancelled all funding to it.........................If anyone has the available connections, could you please check in to this further......Thanks
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Death by firearm has gone up since the start of reg. As we all new, it did not work. Don,t waste your money or encourge them by reg. more fire arms. Would our friends to the south put up with somthing like this? Why should we? A stright out slap in the face waste of our tax money!!!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

It's a waste of money no question. I don't know if I'd go to jail or get a record for it though!
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
action44

pol renew

Post by action44 »

Still trying too figure out why it cost me 60$ to renew my pol and all they give me back is alittle card with my picture on it,that i also had to pay for.You would think if they were nice they might put some of that money towards feeding programs for the deer when we get bad winters or a better tagging system for deer and moose. :?
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Yes! I agree. Our government has many problems, many holding on to OUR money.