A little OT/ Goose loads...what are my options??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

A little OT/ Goose loads...what are my options??

Post by RichardS »

I have a 2 3/4 inch chamber full choke Pump shotty (Obviously not the first choice for geese) but Im a great shot (hit double clays 10 for 10 every time) and wondered what load I would be recommended.

I was thinking #2 Hevi shot but really hev no idea....any direction would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
-Richard-
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i don't know about geese but i do know that hevi-shot is instant death on turkeys. not cheap though
thanks philip
chessy

Post by chessy »

if you can keep your shots to 30 yards number 2 or bb steel will kill geese dead i hand load my steel shot i have number 2 traveling at 1780 fps i have no problem killing geese at 35 yards i put bbs clean thru geese at that range.. you become a better shot useing less pellets moveing quicker ... you will not be able to compete with 3.5 or even 3 inch shells unless you reload 2 3/4 shells. the object in hunting is get em as close as possible and kill em clean
Adam

Post by Adam »

question for chessy? would you be able to toss me that recipe you got for those 2 3/4 shells. i do all my own loading for trap and skeet and would like to make some up for ducks and geese. i hate shooting factory for any species. where abouts do u get your steel shot, Hummason or lawrys?
thanks
chessy

Post by chessy »

my load is hot ... it was a old lead load converted to steel ... my gunsmith buddie test load it is fine but hot .... the powder i use is winchester 540 powder it is no longer made i use super sam steel ..and a 2.3/4 unsplit wads .... i have 10 lbs of powder left...(not for sale sorry) if you find some and there is lots i will buy all you can find i have used all my sources at this end of country ... i can get load going to 1880 but i am getting old 37 and it just plain hurts now lol ...... i have 4 bags of steel here it comes from i wll have to shoot some geese and send pictures when i am on they look like a pillow case broke in air ... the unsplit wads really carry a tight pattern buy my shot from my gunsmith. i use a mec 32 bushing
DOXNUT

Post by DOXNUT »

Careful using old powders that were designed for lead loads, with steel. The powders burn different because lead tends to have resistance travelling the barrel then steel does.

I use Remington Heavy-shot for feild hunting geese, has longer range knock down power like lead and uses the same choke principals. I still use steel over water , mainly for ducks. But if I have time to switch over for incoming geese in goes the #4, 11/4, 3"mag Heavy shot.
chessy

Post by chessy »

i agree doxnut ... but i have shot hundreds of rounds i have 5 guys that i hunt with all useing differnt types of guns .. never a problem ... that said never say never .. .that is y i stated it was a hot load...
Adam

Post by Adam »

i currently use 700x i guess ill have to call my shop or check some data and find out about a load. all i use are federal components, except for the claybuster wads.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I swear by Kent Fast Steel BB for geese. Granted i shot 3 1/2 inch but no wonded birds on my end.
peter p

Post by peter p »

I don't hink you can shoot hevi shot from a fixed full choke.