Question for the group...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mfh

Question for the group...

Post by mfh »

O.K. - am debating what to do...figure I would ask for some advice.

I have two properties in Virginia I hunt. Both are in Fairfax (which gives me a long season) and what I would call "urban".

Property A: The first is really urban - a cluster of five properties all 2-3 acres bordering a small 18 arce farm (all field). Essentailly I have permission from all the neighbors to sit the woods in the back or the proprty which boirders the field). The area is chuck full of deer (yesterday saw five bucks, about 15 doe).

Property B: Have access to 55 acres, with all sorts of "large - 10-40 acre) parcels around it...on the 55 acres, there are two houses...otherwise all woods. Lots of sign, but have scouted three times, only saw four deer over those times and did not see anything from one location on Saturday for both the morning and evening sit.

I have a good friend coming to town this weekend...what property should we hunt? We can hunt Friday evening, Sat both morn and evening.

Buck season doesn't open for a couple weeks...at first I figured since I saw one monster buck at property A, I would leave it alone until I can take him...and then take the does to help control the population. But, I really would like to see my friend get a deer with his bow - it would be his first bow kill.

So the question....I saw all those deer on property A and did not spook any...so the place is still "virgin" with respect to getting busted...if I bring my buddy there...and we hunt it all three sessions this weekend....do you think I am messing with my chances of getting that buck? My buddy is solid in the woods, but since the property is so small...I am worried about too much pressure...

What do you think?
Camper

Post by Camper »

The season is long! I would personally take my friend to the property where you saw all the deer, hunt it, and hopefully one or both of you will harvest a deer. Then the pressure is off, you can take your time, and hunt the parcel of land that you did not see much deer sign, get to know that property for a month or so then go back to the property with all the deer ( by that time, all is forgotten) and smoke that big buck when he is all rutted up hot on a doe's trail.

That is what I would do!

Nothing like setting someone up and having them harvest a deer. That's a reward in itself!!!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
mfh

Post by mfh »

Camper...that was what I was looking for...thanks. You made the decision easy....also on the plus side, if I don't get that buck - I will be able to guilt my buddy into the first coupld rounds for at least the next year!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Camper wrote:The season is long! I would personally take my friend to the property where you saw all the deer, hunt it, and hopefully one or both of you will harvest a deer. Then the pressure is off, you can take your time, and hunt the parcel of land that you did not see much deer sign, get to know that property for a month or so then go back to the property with all the deer ( by that time, all is forgotten) and smoke that big buck when he is all rutted up hot on a doe's trail.

That is what I would do!

Nothing like setting someone up and having them harvest a deer. That's a reward in itself!!!

Camper
DITTO fer sure.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

It is his first time so take him where he has the biggest chance of killing a deer.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have always enjoyed sitting in a stand seeing deer a lot more enjoyable than sitting in a stand hoping to see a deer :wink:
wabi
darkhollowarcher

re

Post by darkhollowarcher »

one more thought,you are hunting urban deer ,they see and are in contact with people everyday,i really dont think you will bump them out if you use a little care.