Sighting in your crossbow help?!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kwanzanator

Sighting in your crossbow help?!

Post by kwanzanator »

Hey, I am very new to X-bow hunting and I have a couple questions about sighting in the X-bow.

1. Should you start to sight in the X-bow at 20 yards?
2. When I shoot at 20 yards, the arrow hits the target approximately right, but when I move forward to 10 yards, it hits 4 inches above the target and thats with the first point on the scope pointing at the bullseye......is that normal?
3. Also, what does it mean when your arrows are hitting the target at the right hieght, but are all over the place horizontally(eg. Too much to left or too much to the right)

Also any advice would be appreciated.!!
Digger

Post by Digger »

Which xbow are you sighting in and which scope are you using.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
kwanzanator

Post by kwanzanator »

I have a Exocet with a Vari-Zone scope.
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

kwanzanator wrote:I have a Exocet with a Vari-Zone scope.
I use the vari-zone with my exocet, check your FPS dial see what its set to, I believe I have mine @ 210-215. Adjust that, then take a few shots from 20 yds and adjust the top screw for up and down (1click for every 1/2") or the side screw for left to right. Then try at 10-30 yards and if so you may have to play with the FPS dial but it should be pretty close.
kwanzanator

Post by kwanzanator »

Sorry, what is the FPS dial?
Divemaster920

Post by Divemaster920 »

One thing that you must use for consistance shots is one of the cocking divices. If you are not using one the arrow will go every where...
CD
Digger

Post by Digger »

This is how you sight in a varizone scope. Exocet77 probably meant 310-315 feet per second.

First set your target at 20 yards using the two knobs on the scope the top one is elevation (up & down) the side knob is windage (left and right) the knobs adjust the sights use the crosshairs to sight in at 20 yds shoot your bow from a rest first shot check where it hits and adjust the elevation 4 clicks for every inch your out, same for windage. When your on the bulls eye move to 40 yds and replace the caps on the knows there is a ring aroud the rear appeture from 250 to 350, set it at about the 31o feet per second mark. Using only the speed ring increase or decrease the speed on the ring if you shoot high or low.
When you hit the bulls eye at 40 yds you will be on at all the marks in the eye piece from 10yds at the top to 50 yds it the botton mark.
Simple isn't it.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
kwanzanator

Post by kwanzanator »

Digger, thats awesome....thanks! Just one question about the speed ring part....if the arrow shoots high, do I decrease the speed and when the arrow shoots low......do I increase the speed?
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

kwanzanator wrote:Digger, thats awesome....thanks! Just one question about the speed ring part....if the arrow shoots high, do I decrease the speed and when the arrow shoots low......do I increase the speed?
if your bolt goes high, go to higher velocity. If low go to lower velocity is what my directions say that came with the scope.
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Digger wrote:This is how you sight in a varizone scope. Exocet77 probably meant 310-315 feet per second.

Oops, long day. I guess 210-215 would be a tad on the slowside for an Excalibur.

BOB VANDRISH

Sighting in your bow.

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I would like to ask Golden Eagle to re-read those instructions about high and low,where with a high shot you would increase the speed,and with a low shot,you would decrease the speed.
My own feeling is that it would be the exact opposite.
Higher speed means flatter trajectory,meaning that you would slow it down to come on target,and with a lower speed,one would expect more drop,therefore requiring increased speed to raise the point of impact.
Anyone see that differently than I do?
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
BOB VANDRISH

Sighting in your bow.

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I must have been smoking some of that funny stuff when I sent my first reply!
They haven't made a variable speed crossbow yet that I know of! LOL!!
What you are doing by varying the speed setting is matching your arrow speed to the scope.
Once set,that would not need to be changed unless you changed arrow weight,and/or diameter.
After that,the instructions for raising and lowering the impact point would probably follow the instruction that was listed by Golden Eagle.
Back to the funny stuff!!
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

kwanzanator wrote:Sorry, what is the FPS dial?
I think you found it from the above posts, but if you did not....it is the moveable ring on the back of your varizone that has numbers on it from 250 - 350.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Golden Eagle

Re: Sighting in your bow.

Post by Golden Eagle »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:I would like to ask Golden Eagle to re-read those instructions about high and low,where with a high shot you would increase the speed,and with a low shot,you would decrease the speed.
My own feeling is that it would be the exact opposite.
Higher speed means flatter trajectory,meaning that you would slow it down to come on target,and with a lower speed,one would expect more drop,therefore requiring increased speed to raise the point of impact.
Anyone see that differently than I do?
Bob.
Just quoting what my instructions say Bob. I got lucky and didnt even have to move my speed dial so I dont know. The instructions that came with the scope. What does yours say?
kwanzanator

Post by kwanzanator »

Thanks very much guys!!!