Deer Cane

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichardS

Deer Cane

Post by RichardS »

I picked up some deer Cane to go with my apples and barley/corn mix and wondered if anyone has had any experience with it. The guy at my bow shop said that he hasnt tried it but had heard good things. Any input would be great!

Thanks
-Richard-
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Sorry RichardS, never heard of it. I'll keep an eye on your post, and maybe learn something.

Grey Owl
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

It comes as a powder or liquid and you add it to soil and it is supposed to hold minerals that attract deer. I remembered seeing it used a few years back on a hunting show and the deer would dig up a pile of soil to get at this stuff. My gut says gimic but I couldnt resist trying it.
-Richard-
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

RichardS wrote:It comes as a powder or liquid and you add it to soil and it is supposed to hold minerals that attract deer. I remembered seeing it used a few years back on a hunting show and the deer would dig up a pile of soil to get at this stuff. My gut says gimic but I couldnt resist trying it.
RichardS I tried finding my empty bottle from last year but no luck. I tried the liquid which comes in a 1 gallon container brown in color and as per the instructions I poured it over a decaying log. I seen where deer had pawed at the log breaking it up some what, but then decided (deer) that it was not what they wanted as the log is still laying where it was in about the same shape as last year. However it might just be the trick for your area.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

We have used it on our property for 3 years now. We made two mineral lick spots on 200 acres. They started out as 2' x 2' and now they are 4' x 8' and about 16" deep from where the deer paw and eat this stuff. It is mostly effective from March thru the end of October, after that the deer do not seem interested in it. In early spring the does seek out these licks after giving birth we have noticed. I guess it helps them replace bodily fluids and electolytes? From what I have read about natural and man made mineral licks is that bucks seek them out all during their antler growing cycle which helps in antler growth. This same article I read also stated that 99% of the bucks visited these licks only between the hours of 10:00pm and 2:00am which I found very interesting. This study I read about took place in Georgia and I belive it was over a ten year period. The million dollar question though "does deer cane or similar products work"? I think over the last 3 years the bucks maybe had slightly better racks and the yearling deer seemed a little bigger and heavier, thats why I believe the real benifit to this stuff is helping the does to re-coop from the stresses of giving birth and maybe helps them to better care for their fawns by possibly producing better and more milk?
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

ive had similar results as buckeye mentioned. It definately attracts deer in the summer but tails off as the season extends. I've seen a drastict drop off once bucks dispatch their velvet. I use it mainly as a trail cam tool and it works pretty well.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
kwanzanator

Post by kwanzanator »

I place some Deer Cane (1 Gallon Pre-Mixed one) this year at the beginning of September. I will let you guys know how I make out.
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

I used it last year and mixed it with the apple flavored Buck Jam I poured it over a rock about 20 yards form my tree stand. The deer have dug a hole about 1 foot wide by about 2 feet deep all around the rock. I have just put more out last week to try and keep them coming in. I wish I had a trail camera to see what deer are coming to it.
shoot straight stay late.
huntman

Post by huntman »

i planted to blocks of the deer cane last year and many deer visited it and stamp their hoofs to mark their terrioty. The problem that i had was that 3 weeks after i planted it the farmer that owns the property decided to coltivate the field i put it in. I still have 2 blocks sitting in the garage and looking for a good place for it. I spoke to another hunter that has used this product for years and he swears by this product, but perfers the block over the liquid form..
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I've used Deer Cane for 12 years now. I started with Rack Attack and used it until it just disappeared from the market. so I went to Deer Cane. I have four mineral licks I use it in and all are active in front of a game camera. It''s not just deer that visit the lick either. I've gotten fox and coyotes also.

At first I was using it straight and mixing it in with the soil. Now I mix it with 50 pound bags of mineralized salt.

I've also use a product called VMASS, which has some very interesting results and I do mean activity type of results.

Twice a year now, I refresh a mineral lick with 200 pound of mineralized salt, 16 pounds of Deer Cane, and 8 pounds of VMASS. The total cost is $70.00 [US]

The last batch of pictures I posted were taken of deer at a mineral lick behind my camp in Maine.

I have one mineral lick which I started in 1983, which is 4 feet square and 12 to 18 inches deep before I refresh it in the fall. The other mineral lick have only been around for 3 to five years.
Terry

Quad 300 x2