the difference in flight.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Moxie

the difference in flight.

Post by Moxie »

I was trying out some new carbon bolts with my Barnett Quad 300 today using a 125 grain practive hunting tips and found it very interesting as to how the carbon and the aluminum bolts flew. I'm not sure what the weight is for the bolts. I was zeroed last year withthe aluminum; yet, this year the carbons were right on at 10 yards and the aluminum 3 to 4 inches higher.

Sorry, I must remember to reduce the size next time.

Terry

Quad 300 x2
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I think it is because the carbons are faster and therefore they shoot flatter. If you look at the tables on the excalibur site for velocity and yardage you'll see that at 10 yds the lower the speed of the bolt the higher it hits. I bet if you shoot at 20 or 25 yds the carbons will be higher.
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Thanks Ben.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Look at the photo again. Notice the tails on the aluminum shafts are hanging low... yet the carbons look straight.
Chances are the aluminum arrows( I presume 2219s) are exitting the bow tail low and steering upward, this is also confirmed by the statement that your bow was sighted in already.
Something has changed to the tune of your bow in which you sighted it in and are shooting them now or the way it was sighted in vs now.
Did you sight this in last year with BH's, same BH's?

Where do they hit at 20 yds?
Did you sight this in at the same yardage as these shots? You maybe dead on at 20 yds with the aluminum and the carbons, yet slightly high at 30/40 on the carbons.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1