good broadhead advice, but what's next?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fitpays

good broadhead advice, but what's next?

Post by fitpays »

hey guys. i have had a lot of anxiety over the broadhead choice for my crossbow. well, for the first time ever, i actually shot my broadheads into a target. using a razorcap 100g, i shot at a target and was 4 inches low at 25 yards, compared to my field tips. so what now? i do not want to adjust my scope. and as for tuning the actual arrow and head -if i am having problems with this one, i am probably going to have problems with all of them. i dont have the time and patience to tune all of them. besides, i would want ot test them all, and then they would all need to be re-sharpened. i think i am just going to go back to mechanicals. i'll test one of those today after work, and hopefully it will fly straight enough to hunt with this evening. what do you guys think? i am thinking about ordering the SLICK TRICKS. everyone seems to have good luck with those. thanks for your input guys.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Hey Fitpays,

No kidding, when I shot my slick tricks there is no adjusting my scope. They hit the target in the same place my field points hit.

Partikle
fitpays

Post by fitpays »

i think i will order some slick tricks today. are you guys using the 1" or the
1 1/8" magnums? thanks for the help. i have been watching a buck that i believe is in a pattern of coming to my bait pile. last week i went out twice (monday and thursday). he was there at 5:45 one night and then 6:45 the next time. it is open season now and i am going out to look for him tonight. i think i will use my mechanical tonight and hope for the best. meanwhile, if i dont see him -the slick tricks will be on the way. regardless, we have unlimited doe kills in my zone, so i will need the slick tricks anyway.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Mine are all 1 1/8 "- they work great.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
fitpays

Post by fitpays »

just ordered a pack of slick tricks -if they are as accurate as everyone says, i'll order some more. with unlimited doe kills in NJ this year, i am sure i will go through some broadheads.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

smart move.... :)
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

I had a similar problem. Both the Wasp & Muzzy 100's shot low. I adjusted my scope 3 clicks up and the Wasp were dead on. 5 shots at 20yd & 30yd made one hole about 3 inches around. Each of the 5 arrows flew true.
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

P.S. to the above - after the season I am going to weight my practice points to match the flight of my broadheads!!!
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I tried some fixed broad heads,after reading alot of negative response to the mechanicals.This is my first year out with a crossbow and I will be going with the mechanicals if I'm lucky enough to see a deer.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Make sure they spin true, they will then and only then group consistently no matter what brand they are.
Another improvement would be to go with feathers and as much helical as you can, this will help bring the distance to your field point group closer.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Careful with too much helical. It can rub heavily in the rail and cause flight problems!
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I don't even use the slick tricks, but I have to put in a vote for them due to all the great things I've heard about them. I use the Boss Wasps and they fly awesome too. They've made decent holes in the two deer I've taken with them.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!