New Hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

beanumr

New Hunter

Post by beanumr »

I was hoping someone could shed some light on deer habits. I have located several areas on my Grandparents land that frequent deer. Plenty of trails. What times do the deer leave their beds to feed and what time do they return. If left undisturbed will they always follow the same trail? :D
A.W

Post by A.W »

This might help. Welcome to the forum. :wink:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=10701
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Deer Dave

Re: New Hunter

Post by Deer Dave »

beanumr wrote:I was hoping someone could shed some light on deer habits. I have located several areas on my Grandparents land that frequent deer. Plenty of trails. What times do the deer leave their beds to feed and what time do they return. If left undisturbed will they always follow the same trail? :D
Best advice is to do some extensive scouting and maybe set up a trail camera or 2. Deer are creatures of habit, although they will change their habits thru out the season, according to food sources, rut, and climate changes. Bigger bucks tend to become more nocturnal, hence the trail camera suggestion. Normally deer will feed thru out the night, and early morning and towards dark. Activity wil be greater during these periods.
Deer will not always follow the same trails as they always move into the wind. Try scouting in the areas where you have seen sign and come up with your stand selection...it is very rewarding when you have done your scouting , and then you harvest a fine deer. Deer normally leave their beds right before dark in the evening, and feed all night and will return in the early mornings. Deer activity can vary, meaning if you spook one out of its bedding areas...that could be the last time you see that deer. Also during the rut....deer will be traveling all over the area...so you might see deer that you never saw before.

Good Luck!

Dave
beanumr

New Hunter

Post by beanumr »

Should I try and locate their general bed location
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Not until you get more experienced, until then attempt to catch them in "tranport" routes between food sources. Try to locate natural funnels and hunt downwind of obvious trails, until you start to understand. learn what they do each day.
Trust me, leave the bedding grounds for those who have been at this awhile... and they know as well as I that even that is challenging for many of the wisest a hunter:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1