Expandable BH's OK?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trpd345

Expandable BH's OK?

Post by trpd345 »

I had been told in the past that expandable broadheads were not to be shot from a x-bow. Are there any that can be or are all of them ok? I have a BuckMaster Maxpoint that is shooting about 310-315 fps. Thanks!
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

trpd345 I use slicktricks but do a search on the forum here and I know their is a lot of info. on the expandable BH.... :D
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I think the general rule of thumb is to double band the blades so they do not open when leaving the bow.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

A friend uses Spitfires out of his Horton and always has. With great success I might add.
209x50

Post by 209x50 »

I'm shooting the "grim reaper" no elastics. Testing done by the store owner showed that they did not open before impact....I still have to shoot a deer with one yet though...haopefully on openig day (next Sat)
maple

Post by maple »

NAP Spitfires. No bands, no problems. Easy to clean and reuse after a kill. Fly just like field points. One of the biggest cutting diameters available. Bust through ribs like nobody's business.

Maple
taxman

Post by taxman »

ive shot 7 deer w/ mech bh's this year. 5 were rocket steelheads and 2 were spitfires. both left great holes and bloodtrails. dont believe everything your read about xbows/mechanicals. they will work fine!!!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I did use expandables..BUT ..They only work fine if you have the perfect shot broadside... I have harvested many with the buckblaster, however, I shot a buck 3 years ago with a buckblaster. He was 1/4 away from me..I thought no problem.It was the only shot I was gonig to get he was trying to get down wind of the two bucks he thought were fighting..I shot and when it hit him right behind the shoulder it imediately turned right and only went in about 4 inches..the Buck jumped and ran stopped turned around and pulled out with his mouth and walked away..If that broadhead would have been a G5 or a slick trick that buck would be on my wall now..my Dad God rest his soul. Always told me to "keep it simple stupid" the more moving parts and extra crap you got going the more likely to have a problem..Thats why I love my excalibur Exomag. Simple sweet and reliable..and thus the G5 broadheads. no moving operating BS to potentialy to give problems..I ike the idea but never again will I be caught needin a G5!

I hate them......dont believe everything you hear about them.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
geraldbergeron

Post by geraldbergeron »

Hi everybody,

I had a nice buck yesterday with my first crossbow, Exomax, and a slicktrick on a carbon bolt, at 30 meters.

I heard a "contact sound" : TACKKKKKKK !

And that was it; a nice buck found 50 meters away.

Thank you EXCALIBUR.

...............................................................Gerald........................../
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

CONGRAT'S geraldbergeron :!:
A.W

Post by A.W »

geraldbergeron wrote:Hi everybody,

I had a nice buck yesterday with my first crossbow, Exomax, and a slicktrick on a carbon bolt, at 30 meters.

I heard a "contact sound" : TACKKKKKKK !

And that was it; a nice buck found 50 meters away.

Thank you EXCALIBUR.

...............................................................Gerald........................../
Congrats!!!. Why not start a new post and add a story to it.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

I have been using Spitefire 100gr broadheads for the last 5 years, I have now (with the buck I got on Saturday) killed 5 deer with them. I use an Excalibur Exomag and have never had a problem with them opening in flight. I do replace the blades and retention clips every year on the ones that I hunt with but I have never had a problem with these heads and the do shot just like field points.

I also have 100 gr slick tricks (4 blade fixed heads) that I use and both have the same point of impact out of my bow.

I think it all comes down to what you are comfertable shooting, not what some one else tells you to shot.
shoot straight stay late.