Fact or Fiction

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tar Heel

Fact or Fiction

Post by Tar Heel »

Just bought a flashlight with a red beam I have been told that the red beam doesn't scare deer is this true or did I waste my money.
The old man from the mountain
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

True.
Many articles have been written on the composition of deer's eyes and it's structure that disagree on many things such as if deer see in color or not.
What is in agreement though with most of the scientific analysis is that deer do see in the blue spectrum of light(uv end).

Even Humans have difficulty seeing red light at distances when compared to blue or white light.

I spent some time in the navy, and when sunset arrived, a policy was enforced called Darken Ship. This policy forbid white lights, lighters etc topside. A lighter can be seen as far as the horizon roughly 8miles. A red light is a LOT harder to detect. The only lights allowed topside were red lens covered flashlights.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
camera857

Reliability

Post by camera857 »

Just bought a flashlight with a red beam I have been told that the red beam doesn't scare deer is this true or did I waste my money.
Does it work all the time for you?:?
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i work on a commercial ocean going vessel and we use red lights in the bridge (wheelhouse) because it does not hurt night vision as bad as regular lighting.
thanks philip
TYE

Post by TYE »

You can buy alot of hunting flashlight with green lights. Doesn't take away your night vision. Same thing must apply with the red.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

And for what its worth...When you got to the Zoo and look at nocturnal animals.Bats, Owls, ect...They always light up their cages or displays with red light...If it was white light they never would come out and let you see them..something to think on for sure.. :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!