Would you like more accuracy from your Excalibur?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

designer 2

Would you like more accuracy from your Excalibur?

Post by designer 2 »

Just curious here.
What would you think if you could get a 1/2 to 3/4 inch group at 60 yards with a HUNTING arrow that has a cutting diameter of just over 1-3/16"?
Would you want that?
Please, this question is for customers only.
Thanks
My mind is made up. Do not confuse me with the facts.
TYE

Post by TYE »

What are you getting at?
designer 2

Post by designer 2 »

Tye:

Do you get that accuracy now?
TYE

Post by TYE »

No because I'm using the fibre optic pin sights. I can put 5 arrows into a circle the size of a popcan though. I'm sure when I have the Varizone scope I will be knocking the centers out of twoonies.
designer 2

Post by designer 2 »

Are you saying you can do that with a broadhead tipped arrow at 60 yards?
Or a target tip?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You must be implying a new broadhead being used. That's a larger than normal cut.

I personally would like a larger cut. The bows I use have the power to drive through a larger cutting head. When I raised that as a desirable effect...a wider cut.... several people here said it couldn't be done without sacrificing accuracy. Wind planing was said to be the problem.

Back to you.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
designer 2

Post by designer 2 »

Hi5

Normally, larger cutting heads do wind plane. What about an arrow that is only 6" long where the blades are the fletching? Arrows are 400-500 grains total weight.
TYE

Post by TYE »

designer 2 wrote:Are you saying you can do that with a broadhead tipped arrow at 60 yards?
Or a target tip?
Oh, not 60 yards. I meant 30 yards. I won't shoot past that anyways. In my opinion you have to be a moron to shoot a deer from 60 yards.
designer 2

Post by designer 2 »

I agree that you would be a moron to shoot at an animal at 60 yards. If you have that kind of accuracy, what's going to happen when you shoot at 30?
The Pistoleer

Post by The Pistoleer »

Interesting concept :). I had thought of putting cutting blades just ahead of the fetching to aid in pass through, but never doing away with fetching entirely. :?:

Would these bolts be able to be used on current production Excaliburs?

To answer your question, I have no idea what type of groups I could get with broadheads at 60 yards because I have never shot one that far.

Referring to a previous post about 50 yard broad side shots you will understand my feeling that even if you can hit a 1/2 spot everytime at 60 yards no matter how fast the arrow/bolt is the deer can take one step while browsing undisturbed which would put the arrow 10" or so from the point of aim.

Still I am interested in your idea because a shorter more accurate bolt which still maintains it's weight would appear to be a good thing.

Pete
Be Safe, Have Fun
designer 2

Post by designer 2 »

How do you post a picture? I'll show you
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The shorter bolt should give less wind deflection. There should be more pass throughs on big game...in other words, better penetration.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
designer 2

Post by designer 2 »

Hi5

You are correct. Standard bolt loses about 5 fps of speed every ten yards. The 6" arrow loses only 1 fps every ten yards.
TYE

Post by TYE »

designer 2 wrote:How do you post a picture? I'll show you
Go to www.photobucket.com and make an account and upload the picture to it and post the little [IMG] code under the picture when its uploaded.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Do think that type of bolt has been around.... :D So far have neve seen it used....send me the pic. I will post it if ya want.... :D I still would not take that long of shot innless I was starving :!: