Red spots on the meat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new paradox

Red spots on the meat

Post by new paradox »

I do my own butchering.On the deer I got this year the one leg had a slite bruising on the leg muscal with some dark blood pooled in between some of the muscal.This looked like the meat around an entry wound,but not as bad.The deer did fall down when hit.Have you guys ever seen this or worried about it.Our area doesn't have a problem with CWD and I don't think it would look like this.What do you guys think.He was walking fine when I got him.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Would not know for sure, but reads like a bruise from falling or maybe when you were pulling it out.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Be sure and talk to your local authorities. They should be able to refer you to some experts.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Tom

Re: Red spots on the meat

Post by Tom »

new paradox wrote:......On the deer I got this year the one leg had a slite bruising on the leg muscal with some dark blood pooled in between some of the muscal.This looked like the meat around an entry wound,but not as bad.......
This sounds like it could be injuries from the rut. I have seen wounds from antlers (skin had no holes) that created nasty bruises in the meat.
with out seeing them though, I could not be certain.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
korey99

Post by korey99 »

I had that on a 5-point buck I shot once....the butcher rolled it out on a meat hook to begin butchering it, and I said "wait a minute, I didn't shoot mine in the butt, are you sure that's my deer???". He chuckled and told me it was a "war wound", and a more dominent buck gave him a good poke in the rear to get him out of his turf. Was your deer a buck?

korey99
LoneWolf

Re: Red spots on the meat

Post by LoneWolf »

Tom wrote:
new paradox wrote:......On the deer I got this year the one leg had a slite bruising on the leg muscal with some dark blood pooled in between some of the muscal.This looked like the meat around an entry wound,but not as bad.......
This sounds like it could be injuries from the rut. I have seen wounds from antlers (skin had no holes) that created nasty bruises in the meat.
I agree...

I've seen this a few times on bucks.

The buck I shot in 2003 also had such an injury on one of his shoulders, I didn't know until I skinned it...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

He was a small buck.I did cut it out and take a look at it,there was dark blood in the grains of the meat but only in an area the size of a marshmellow.The few small stops were only on the surface.No other part of the deer had any of this,only the one hind leg and only on the calf area.
Tom

Post by Tom »

your discription makes me fully believe that your small buck was at the receiving end of a few prods from a larger buck. This is only brusing, and like you did by cutting it out, you should have no problems. This is actually quite common with smaller bucks if they are taken durring the rut.

Hope this helps you.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]