Red dot vs. Varizone

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Do you prefer red-dot scopes or the Varizone scope?

Varizone
81%
Red-Dot
10%
Other
10%

Total votes: 42

TYE

Red dot vs. Varizone

Post by TYE »

Okie dokie, I've heard great things about both.....I have shot Horton's with red-dot scopes, and I have used the old Dropzone scope I think it was, on an old carved limb Exocet.

I like how the red-dots are really easy to see, and you can adjust the brightness of the dots. I find that with the Excalibur scopes, the reticles are black, and difficult to see in low light.

I'm not sure which would be the best choice... :? :?:

Which do you guys prefer, the red-dot scopes (which ones?) or the Varizone scope?
Digger

Post by Digger »

The less things I carry with a battery the better, I have batteries for a range finder. for flash light, for my GPS and batteries for my digital camera. I have one pocket of my day pack stuffed with extra batteries and I don't care for red dots anyway.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
striper

Post by striper »

As you may know, magnifying scopes are illegal in Alabama. I have been told that the red dot scopes, which are legal here, do not do well in low light situations. As I really dislike the peep sight that comes standard with my Exocet, I need to find some alternative. I am afraid to take the red dot jump if it doesn't work well. The batteries are no problem as I have plenty of room in my pack. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Vince

Post by Vince »

In my opinion, if one can master shooting with both eyes open and if you understand how to use a Red Dot, absolutley nothing else on earth compares with the short shooting distances associated with archery.

I've gone from brass pins, fibre optic pins, tritinium (sp) pins, lighted pins, scopes of all kinds including the Xcal scopes and they all have the same short fall, they're useless during low light condition's because you can't see the pins or black reticule etc against the dark body of a deer/bear/moose.

And for those who want to argue this point, try this one:
Try finding your pin or black reticule x-hairs with the sun shining in your face and the target in the dark shadows of a hollow. It's impossible unless you have a RED DOT.

The idea of a RED DOT is not for better target acquistion or picking out a hair at 100 yards, if you want that, get a varmit scope.

The whole idea behind the RED DOT technology was for quick target acquistion on running game. The added bonus is quick target acquisition during low light conditions.

With a RED DOT, the illuminated spot is very quick and easily seen against a dark background.

Now, if you can see the deer with both eyes open, during those times of low light, shoulder the xbow and while focused on the deer, your peripheral vision will bring the illuminated dot into view and will give you a clearly visible aiming point.
Something you simply can't accomplish with pins and scopes of black reticules design....that's why they invented lighted scope reticules.

As far as battery life, i don't know how long the batteries last because my RED DOT gets turned 'on' the moment before i flick the safety to the 'fire' position and the batteries get changed at the beginning of each deer season.....i have a bunch of emergency batteries which are still good.
BTW, the season in this part of Ontario goes mid-Oct till the end of December and cold weather has never been a problem with batteries.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Thank you for your reply Vince, that was very well put. :)

Which Red-dot scope do you use?
peter p

Post by peter p »

I find that, if hunting in an area where you can hunt until 1/2 hour after sunset and even right at last shooting time you can see the recticle in a scope.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have used both and I would have to say that the scope is the fair better choice. I have never had the experience that Vince has spoken about, i have always been able to see my crosshairs in the varizone regardless of the amount of light. The red dot just doesn't do it for me and leaving the light on accidentaly after a hunt can be a disaster the next time out!
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

Vince wrote:In my opinion, if one can master shooting with both eyes open and if you understand how to use a Red Dot, absolutley nothing else on earth compares with the short shooting distances associated with archery.

I've gone from brass pins, fibre optic pins, tritinium (sp) pins, lighted pins, scopes of all kinds including the Xcal scopes and they all have the same short fall, they're useless during low light condition's because you can't see the pins or black reticule etc against the dark body of a deer/bear/moose.

And for those who want to argue this point, try this one:
Try finding your pin or black reticule x-hairs with the sun shining in your face and the target in the dark shadows of a hollow. It's impossible unless you have a RED DOT.

The idea of a RED DOT is not for better target acquistion or picking out a hair at 100 yards, if you want that, get a varmit scope.

The whole idea behind the RED DOT technology was for quick target acquistion on running game. The added bonus is quick target acquisition during low light conditions.

With a RED DOT, the illuminated spot is very quick and easily seen against a dark background.

Now, if you can see the deer with both eyes open, during those times of low light, shoulder the xbow and while focused on the deer, your peripheral vision will bring the illuminated dot into view and will give you a clearly visible aiming point.
Something you simply can't accomplish with pins and scopes of black reticules design....that's why they invented lighted scope reticules.

As far as battery life, i don't know how long the batteries last because my RED DOT gets turned 'on' the moment before i flick the safety to the 'fire' position and the batteries get changed at the beginning of each deer season.....i have a bunch of emergency batteries which are still good.
BTW, the season in this part of Ontario goes mid-Oct till the end of December and cold weather has never been a problem with batteries.
Vince.......good post...a while back I posted a question comparing the red dot vs. the varizone scope...with a different response..... I have also heard that in low light...the reticle and crosshairs are impossible to see....When hunting with my red dot scope...I tried it at early morning, and late evening...there is no magnification...and the results were excellant....the scope does show exactly what the outside light conditions are. You need to keep both eyes open when aiming on a deer , but the target image is crisp and shot placement is precise. I really like my Simmons single red dot scope. It has 11 light settings.

Dave
Digger

Post by Digger »

Deer Dave
I really like my Simmons single red dot scope. It has 11 light settings.
How much are these beauties? I have a nasty habit of leaving switches on now that I am in my dotage.
I find that a scope works better for me with light gathering than a red dot does. Use what works for you, try both and make a decision. I did.
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

Well, I shot my friends Horton with a red-dot on it, and I liked it because we were shooting at night, and I could easily see the red-dots to aim with. It was a bugger to see my fibre optic pins on my Pheonix.

So what I might do is get Ron (my dads friend) since he owns one of the old carved limb Exocets (165lb) with an Excalibur scope on it, I'll try it out, and see which I like better. I know during the day time I would like the Excal scope better, cuz it has magnification, but in low light I might like the red-dot a little more. I'm not sure.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Just curious.....Is there any kind of scope rings whereby you could mount/attach a red dot to your varizone?...Kind of side by side.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I have Varizone scope, a TenPoint 3 red dot and a simmons single red dot. The red Dot is all I used for a number of years and as both my sons could tell ya I would not change to a scope. However as my eyes get weaker I find the Varizone a better TOOL for me now. As too batteries the TenPoint and Simmons seem to be the same on battery life and I have yet to have one go dead while hunting. I do keep two extra batteries JUST INCASE.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Digger

Post by Digger »

TYE wrote:Well, I shot my friends Horton with a red-dot on it, and I liked it because we were shooting at night, and I could easily see the red-dots to aim with. It was a bugger to see my fibre optic pins on my Pheonix.
Thats cool Tye, where do you jack deer at night. I would think thats poaching.
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Digger wrote:
TYE wrote:Well, I shot my friends Horton with a red-dot on it, and I liked it because we were shooting at night, and I could easily see the red-dots to aim with. It was a bugger to see my fibre optic pins on my Pheonix.
Thats cool Tye, where do you jack deer at night. I would think thats poaching.
Yeh TYE I think that's called POACHING as Digger stated.... :twisted: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
TYE

Post by TYE »

We were shooting at TARGETS