Frustrated

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kenton

Frustrated

Post by Kenton »

I am having a terrible time even seeing deer so far. I have been out 15 times and seen 9 deer. Thanks for letting me vent.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Kenton have the same thing going on here :? don't quite understand whats happening at this time :?: OOOOH well relax still have 3 months.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Glad im not the only one. Seen a few, had 2 close encounters with does but thats about it. I dont think the rut is fully in gear yet... maybe another week or two.. i hope.
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

same thing here..in the last four outings zero deer. im on vacation next week and i cant wait.------STEEL
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I went on our opening weekend rifle hunt. Saw ZERO deer. I spoke to every other hunter in the area hunting in different spots, NOTHING! :shock: The nights around here have been very clear and I believe most of their feeding is happening during the night. The days have been warm and sunny too and I suspect the deer are just lying around and sunning themselves! Also, we have a very late fall as the trees are still dropping leaves around here and that's extremely unusual for our area north of Mont Tremblant.

I can't think of any other EXCUSES! :lol:

...still, it sure was strange. :?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Deer Dave

Post by Deer Dave »

Yep, action is slow here in Pa. too...but the best is yet to come!!!
annapolis

Post by annapolis »

Same thing here in Central Ontario. It was 10 degrees C (50 F) here this morning. I got up but didn't go to my stand because I'm tired and worn out from lack of success and it didn't feel like a good morning it was so warm.

Scaping began around October 21, but has not really gained intensity. Last year on October 31 things were really moving. I keep waiting for one of those calm, frosty mornings when you just know there's going to be a lot of movement, and you'll here him coming from 100 yards away in the rustling leaves. There has only been a couple of nights with frost on the leaves.

Things I've read says that the rut is primarily controlled by daylength, so things have gotta turn around soon!!
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I have found over the years that these things go in streaks. Two yrs ago I shot 2 bucks in consecutive hunts. Last year I saw 3 does all year while in my stand and got lucky enough to shoot one. This year my hunting partners have hardly seen any and when I shot the 6 pointer on Saturday it was deer number 13 I've seen already. Just keep going out there sooner or later your luck will change.
wabi

Post by wabi »

So far I've been out 26 days for a total of 81 hours. Seen 19 bucks, 39 does, and 13 fawns. (Many of the sightings are repeat sightings of the same deer on different days though.)
Unfortunately, getting a good shot has been a lot tougher than seeing them, though :wink:
wabi
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Man you hit the nail on the head. I've been out 7 times and seen 2 Turkeys, a Racoon and a Fisher. Tons of birds and squirrels but ZERO deer.

I think my luck will change. Saturday morning I walked across a very strong buck in rut musk scent on the way to my stand; there was definitly one around but I never saw anything. My hunting buddy filmed 2 does and a little buck from his stand last wednesday (easy shooters broadside about 10 yards away) and then he saw 3 more when he got out of his truck to open the gate on thursday afternoon.

They are there, I've seen scraps, tracks and droppings but they don't seem to be moving too much yet. November will bring better luck.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Lots of sign but I still haven't saw one single deer. I was so "T"'d off at the weekend that I didn't even bother with my Sunday morning hunt.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Another buddy of mine saw 4 bucks chasing a doe friday evening in front of his house where there are usually no deer to be found. Sounds like they are in weird locations this fall?
Last edited by Partikle on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

If you are hunting in Ohio Kenton the reason may be as simple as the deer are scattered everywhere right now due to an abundance of acorns this year. I was out in Pike county this weekend and it sounded like rain for the first 2 or three hours after the sun came up the nuts were falling so much. Try to find where the best oak stands are and maybe a few persimmon trees as they are starting to ripen and fall also.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

While I was archery hunting, I was seeing more Turkey than deer, although I got my buck. Now that I am turkey hunting, I am seeing all kinds of deer. Had 5 doe pass within 10 yards tonight of my ground blind and never twitched but no turkeys. I did pass up a 2 year old gobbler on saturday and am having second thoughts now. Lots of time left but this time change keeps me from hunting my good spots.
huntman

Post by huntman »

i too have been out a few times and have seen 0 deer. I'm looking forward to next week cause the controlled hunt for shotgun opens..... hopefully i'll have a little more luck then.