Can't hit S--t

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ENYAW

Can't hit S--t

Post by ENYAW »

I am having trouble with consistancy when sighting in.Iam using a rest and shooting at a Block at 30 yds with 2219 alum. bolts,22 3/8"long with
125grn. target points ,the point of balance is2 3/8" ahead of center. I am shooting an Exomax with a varizone scope.The brace hight is 1.5" and everthing is tight. I use the rope cocker, I have rifle hunted for 45yrs
so am familiar with shooting, but have only had the bow for 2or3 months.
I do not expect to drive tacks with out more practice but out of 30 shots I might hit the black 2" dots 6or7 times. any advice would be appreciated--Thanks-- Wayne
annapolis

Post by annapolis »

Any arrows that missed the block and went into the dirt may have hit stones, debris etc. Check these to make sure they are perfectly straight. Any slight bends ar warps in them and they won't fly true. Been there, done that.

Good luck.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It could be a variety, or, a combination of things.

I'd be inclined to start with checking the bolts, though.

I used a felt marker and numbered each bolt and charted where each one struck the target. Very quickly I discovered that a number of my aluminum bolts were crap. The inserts were not aligned parellel with the shaft, for one thing. If you are systematic like I suggest, you hopefully will find out whether certain bolts fly to the same point of impact. If there is no pattern to how each bolt flies, come back and we can discuss other possibilities. When inserting the bolt, always put the same vane into the channel--it shouldn't matter much, but it won't hurt.

Then sort out your bolts and hunt with only the good ones.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Hey Wayne just thought i would mention this...My wife started shooting a xbow and her groups were wild to say the least.. and she was good with a rifle..

We discussed how a xbow tends to kick differently or jump away from you...... and she was not holding her shot...I told her to make sure she sees the arrow hit the target in the scope..or In a hunting situation watch the animal react in your scope not over the top of your scope..Thus holding the shot..she became very accurate after realizing this phylosophy..and hold xbow firmly to body as you squeeze trigger..

This might help you, because I know if I am not hittin good on the target its because Im not holding my shot after I squeeze..good luck to ya..Im sure you be drivin whatever you want to soon..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
A.W

Post by A.W »

May want to consider puting a level on your bow. You may be canting the bow a little. Not sure if that is your problem but it will help.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ENYAW

Post by ENYAW »

Thanks guys I'll try these suggestions. Where do you put the level?
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hoss nailed it..

Everything else that you say you are doing is 100% correct..

Follow through is important in crossbows, vertical bows firearms and even bowling..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
A.W

Post by A.W »

ENYAW wrote:Thanks guys I'll try these suggestions. Where do you put the level?
Should be where you took the front fibre optic sight off......You have an Emax that might be a little different. Perhaps somebody can advise.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

If you haven't already bought a level for mounting on your bow, hold off for a moment.

Take a piece of paper and draw a bull on it. Tape the paper onto the front of your target. Take a regular carpenter's level and a felt marker. Draw a line in heavy ink through the bull, making sure the line is level.

Now, go back and shoot your bow. Make sure the horizontal cross hairs are parallel to the line you marked through the bull. That'll tell you if your problem is bow canting.

I still say you should number your bolts and record exactly where each bolt hits on the paper, and cull out the bolts that are inferior. (Some can be fixed, maybe, but that's another chapter.) :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ENYAW

Post by ENYAW »

Thanks again,If this wind and rain will ever quit I will try that right away.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

The boys above covered all the bases:

- holding the bow level
- bow cocked evenly with rope cocker
- bolts tight on the crossbow
- spring arrow holder has tension on arrow and holds it without slipping
- string square with the track
- bolts straight, fletching correct (no helical that would interfere the track), flat base nocks
- follow through on your shot (hold on target until you see it hit)

Q: What kind of sights? Standard peeps or scope? Is everything tight there?
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I think I'd get a bit closer to begin with...like 15 or 20 yds. Once you prove that the bow will group tight at 20 yds. from a bench rest, move back 5 yds and try it again. My 2-cents.
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

If you are using sand bags when shooting - make sure they are not sticking up in the path of the string. Back in the summer I had my xbow dialed in perfectly, the evening before opening day I was taking a few last shots from 30, 40, and 50 yards just to double check everything. I then moved up to 20 to take a couple of final shots and the first arrow just about missed the target. The second one about 8" low. Each subsequent shot for about 4 more shots was about 8" low. I was freakin out thinking something had gone south on my xbow. I then realized the corner of one of my sand bags was sticking up a little and the string was striking it. Whew! Moved the sand bag and bingo - deadon bullseye.
ENYAW

Post by ENYAW »

Thanks again. I tried all the above and think it must be my bolts. Ibought the bow second hand and it came with a bunch of bolts. I could not tell if they were straight by spining them,but I put them on a small glass table top and ended up throwing half of them out. Out of the rest Icame up with four that shoot perfect. The rest of them seem fine but are not consistant.
Do I throw them out or can they be fixed? or should I buy new carbon bolts?When you buy a dozen new bolts do they all shoot perfect?-- Wayne
Tom

Post by Tom »

Your alum. arows can be straightened if you have a straightener of by a proshop. As for arrows, you can make up your own (alot on here do) or you can just bye them, I replenish my lost arrows by getting Excal arrows. I figure they tested and already found out what is best for the bow so I use their knowledge.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]