Peak Rut ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deerslayr

Peak Rut ?

Post by deerslayr »

I have a couple of questions regarding the timing of the peak of the rut. I live in Iowa, does any one have an idea when the peak would be in my area?

Also it has been extremely warm this year with the highs close to 70 or higher. Does temperature effect the timing of the peak? I have heard that it does and I have heard that it doesn’t. I didn’t think the temperature would because the rut is controlled mostly by the amount of day light.
If you can't take a good shot, don't take a shot.

Dan R.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Deerslayr I dont know if it changes when the rut happens but I do believe from experience that the warm temps will tend to make them do alot of their out in the open stuff at night and hang tight to shade cover in the day..They cant stop that natural drive so the doe will stay in shade cover and the rutting bucks will be with them..so if you can find cool damp area thick woods canopy type..Just think if you were hot and ruttin wouldnt you be in the shade if you could.. :wink: Oh bye the way I believe the rut is startin to kick around hear in Oklahoma I know that may not help but its somethin to think on.. :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

We are in our peak right now. 7th through the 10th always seems to be the right time here. Some bigs ones being killed right now. A few friends still hunting have witnessed many standing does since Friday and many tending Bucks. The heavy chasing of a week ago has slowed down alot since does are receptive here.
CYCLONE

Post by CYCLONE »

Deerslayer,

The peak of the rut is right now, 7-14th for your area, last weekend in Oct up to Thanksgiving is the best time to ambush them on a scrape line or chasing furbage. Good Luck.

I spent 6 years in Ames, very nice area.
If you can't Dodge It, Ram IT