Barnett "Wildcat C5" vs. Excalibur "Vixen'

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vpsaline

Barnett "Wildcat C5" vs. Excalibur "Vixen'

Post by vpsaline »

-Wildcat C5 403$, comes with quiver, 4 bolts, & red dot sight. 150lbs draw, 320fps, 13inch powerstroke, 450min grain bolts. Claimed 114 foot lbs of energy.

-Vixen 417$,comes with nothing. 150lbs draw, 285fps, 14inch powerstroke, 325min grain bolts. APPROX assuming a 400 grain arrow @ 250 fps @10yrds 53 foot lbs of energy.
Last edited by vpsaline on Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I would take the Vixen in a heartbeat. Even though I have never shot one I KNOW it will be accurate. I KNOW it will be reliable. I KNOW it will be backed by the best service. I KNOW I will get pass throughs on deer sized game.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

ttt
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Digger

Post by Digger »

I'd be on the Excal first, I'd be on it, like ugly on a stick. I have 4 of them, 5 would be better.:D 8)
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

If you want to own two xbows by the Barnett then you'll buy the Vixen. I'll guarentee that.
huntman

Post by huntman »

I've owned a barnette and will never go back after buying an excalibur!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

TTT doin my part for the junk thread .......
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

Is the speed and brute hitting force of the Wildcat overestimated by Barnett?
The cams are the design's weakest link?
TCAA

Post by TCAA »

The Barnett bows leave a lot to be desired with heavy trigers and poor performance and in Australia no one will take on the distributorship because of the failure rate.

The only two brands that hold a good reputation in Australia are Excalibur and Horton and even the Horton users prefer the triger on the Excalibur.

At the world crossbow champs that have just been held in Perth, Australia the only bows to fail were the Barnetts.

Cheers

Neill
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

Is it possible that the Wildcat has so much speed and hitting power from a 13inch power stroke and 150lbs draw?
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i have never owned anything but barnett, i have 2 , i have 3 brotherinlaws that shoot barnett , we have never had any problems, i also would like to know their failures. i hear you guys talk on how good excalibur are , i have never shot one , i would sure like to , i am sure you are right on how good they are. if anyone has any info on barnetts failures i would like to have that info. thanks have a goodone,,,,,,,h.j.
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

I have had experience with only 2 Barnett crossbows, but I would definately take the Vixen :D

I am wondering where you got the approximate speed and energy figures for the Vixen. I have a 2005 Vixen. The arrow I finally settled on weighs 460 grains. It comes out of the bow at 260 fps with 69 ft lbs of KE and .540 SS of momentum. THROUGH A CHRONOGRAPH it still has a average velocity of 246 fps with 62 ft lbs of KE and .505 SS of momentum at 35 yards. To put that into perspective, if you had a 28 inch draw, it would take a 70 pound compound with an IBO speed of 315 fps to equal the Vixen. I don't think anyone would argue that you couldn't take anything in North America with such a compoound.

My arrow choice cost me 25 fps, but, 2 1/2-3 inches with Muzzy 4 blade heads at 35 yards is par for the course. Shooting from a rest, that same arrow and Muzzy head will tear each other up if shot at the same spot at 35 yards.
I never was as good as I used to be.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Have you ever held a Barnett and compared it to an Excalibur? Once you have, you will have all the info to know that the quality of one doesn't compare to the other. Barnett fills a niche in the market place and do ok in the field. If you are looking at a long term, trouble-free, tack driving crossbow, Excalibur is tough to beat.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
TCAA

Post by TCAA »

G'day All,

The site for the world champs is available at www.worldcrossbow.com

I to have a Barnett and I have fun with it but the trigger is not a scratch on the Excalibur and the claims of performance are not true to form according to the cronograph.

The triggers were the point of failure for the shooter that had problems.

The company here in Australia that used to import them doesn't do it any longer because of the warranty issues and this has been the case with the last few distributors in Australia.

For those of you that have got Barnetts I hope you do have fun with them I wasn't wanting to distroy your faith in the product but simply point out that the product does have some failings and it would be good if they had the same service as Excalibur.

Cheers Neill
speedball

Post by speedball »

Granted i would agree about the trigger on the excal's but i like the ten-point triggers the best especially the new models they are like a fine rifle, i would also go with the vixen just cause i own an excal, i still prefer the tenpoint over them both speedball..... p.s. you gotta have the best before making any choices excalibur and ten-point are it :!: :!:
gone huntin never to return................