Things deer blow at

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Things deer blow at

Post by BryanOney »

Was hunting Saturday morning when I heard a deer about 200 yds upwind of me start blowing. It must have blew 20 times in 2 minutes then stopped. I was not aware of any other hunter in the woods that morning. Wondering what the deer might have been blowing at. I have never seen a deer blow at anything except a human. Has anyone ever seen a deer blow at something other than a human.
tcthomas

Post by tcthomas »

This last Friday evening, I shot a buck with my Exocet with just a few minutes of shooting light left (which btw confirmed to me again the worth of the Varizone over the peep sights. With the Varizone there was no question there was enough light to shoot, with the peeps it would have been very marginal). I was sitting on the edge of a field, and after being shot, the buck ran down into the woods where I heard it pile up at what proved to be 60-70yds. After about 15 minutes of waiting quietly still in my ladder stand, I heard a deer blow 6-7 times further away past the spot were I had heard my buck pile up. The wind was such that I knew this deer could not have winded me. I assumed that maybe this deer could have been blowing at the downed buck? If not, I don't know what else.

Tim
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I've heard deer blow at Bluejays before. I think the deer find them as annoying as I do when I'm on stand.
CYCLONE

Post by CYCLONE »

I beleive deer are like humans, dogs, cattle ect. Some are calm and collected, others are scared of their own shadows and get try to get all stired up.
If you can't Dodge It, Ram IT
Digger

Post by Digger »

I've see them blowing at chipmonks that run across their paths.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

From my experience a deer will blow when it encounters someting it can't identify as friend or foe. If it's not sure whether to ignore the disturbance or run, it will blow and foot stomp to try to get a reaction from whatever startled it, be it sight, scent, or hearing that triggered the awareness. I've had them blow when I know they couldn't see, hear, or smell me, then hear a squirrel in the same area.
I'd say about any critter that moves through the woods can get a response from a deer at the right time & place.
wabi
JR

Post by JR »

I've seen deer blow at foxes, pocupines, squirrels, and other deer. Cyclones' comment pretty much sums it up. I believe each one has it's own "personality". I've noticed that some deer will avoid swamps while others only come out of them to feed. Most does walk only on paths or trails while others prefer to walk through heavy swail. Either way, when hunting take all scent precautions you can, as deer will undoubtedly smell you before they see or hear you. Wind doesn't always follow the direction it's blowing in. As it enters the bush, it tends to follow channels and can swirl or even change directions depending upon the obstructions that are it it's way. It's never safe to assume that because the wind is coming from the west, that a deer south of you doesn't smell you. Just my 2 cents. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

wabi wrote:From my experience a deer will blow when it encounters someting it can't identify as friend or foe. If it's not sure whether to ignore the disturbance or run, it will blow and foot stomp to try to get a reaction from whatever startled it, be it sight, scent, or hearing that triggered the awareness.

My experiences concur. If you have a grunt call you can often have the deer relax after snorting at you(if you haven't been winded!) and perhaps come into to you. It's worked for me!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

I recently had a doe with fawn in tow stand and blow at my pop up blind for 10 minutes. She didn't run away, just stood there and blew and stomped her front foot.
I agree they seem to blow at anything that doesn't sit well with them.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

ME is what they blow at way to often walkin to my stand..I hate it.....and yes all things mentioned above....

Bstout you gave some good info on those bucks...Thats a good way to tell what you spooked up. They just soon sneek away and hope you dont know they where there. If your real close they will just let you walk by. The old cottontail trick but ifn he thinks your on to him often all youll here is thashin of the thicket and then the pounding of his hooves on the ground..I saw a buck sneekin away from me the otherday..Im sure he saw me first and was makin his way away from me quitely and swiftly but the ole binocs saw his hind end makin its way through the plum thickets.but he never blew. Thats ok for now cause now i know when he frequents that bed...it wont be long and I will catch up to him..mabey..... :lol:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!