Bunny huggers chasing the deer away

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

huntin freak

Bunny huggers chasing the deer away

Post by huntin freak »

Just a question for you out there. A friend of mine from work shotgun hunted on his dad's farm in the Millbrook area as he usually does but a neighbour farmer objects to the idea of hunting of any kind. So he proceeds to make adjustments to his electric fence so it touches the trees and certain objects along the property lines so that the fence emits a regular tick or snapping sound thus making the deer stay away. Is this an infraction of the law that would allow my buddy to call in the MNR and get this guy to cease any further harrassment???? He wants to crossbow hunt as well but with no deer coming he is getting pretty up tight. He usually gets two or three deer for himself, his parents and his hunting partner by now.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I'm not sure how big of an impact this is having on the hunt. I haven't been out very much this year as its been hard to find the time but when I have been out I've seen far fewer deer then last year. It may just be me but this year has been very slow compared to previous years.
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

I have to agree about this not keeping deer off your property. How bout you cut the trees down he has the fence toucing if it is on your land?
Tom

Post by Tom »

hunting freak I believe that in Ontario, for saftey reasons electric fences have to be fully insulated and at minimal voltage. This I believe is to make it difficult for children or pets to be harmed if they accidently come into contact.

I would go to the owner of the fence with a letter informing him that if anyone or any pet were to become hurt because of his electric fence, you would notify the person's involved that he was notified and that her would be held fully responsible. You could also let him know that his insurance company would also be notified (this will cause the insurance company to not back his property if a claim came against him.

Hope this works.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
TYE

Re: Bunny huggers chasing the deer away

Post by TYE »

huntin freak wrote:Just a question for you out there. A friend of mine from work shotgun hunted on his dad's farm in the Millbrook area as he usually does but a neighbour farmer objects to the idea of hunting of any kind. So he proceeds to make adjustments to his electric fence so it touches the trees and certain objects along the property lines so that the fence emits a regular tick or snapping sound thus making the deer stay away. Is this an infraction of the law that would allow my buddy to call in the MNR and get this guy to cease any further harrassment???? He wants to crossbow hunt as well but with no deer coming he is getting pretty up tight. He usually gets two or three deer for himself, his parents and his hunting partner by now.
I hunt on a farm in Millbrook/Cavan area... never ran into problems with anti-hunters though.
soggy bottom boy

Post by soggy bottom boy »

I agree with the poster who said the fence won't bother the deer, that said, the actions of anti-hunters who purposefully interfere with legal hunting activities, or harass hunters can, and have been, charged under Ontario provincial law.

I would encourage your friend to talk to his local Conservation Officer about the situation.

Soggy.
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

I believe it is illegal in Ontario to interfere with a lawful hunt. Define interfere...... :?
huntin freak

Post by huntin freak »

Just to clarify that my buddy saw deer before the shotgun hunt on the property and prior to the adjustments done to the fence to create the snapping sounds by barely touching the trees and also some of the electric fence was raised to about 6 feet high at key fence crossing areas. There has been zero sightings on the property since and the guy has made it clear that he doesn't want his "pets" harmed.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Pet???? Seems to me wild animals are not owned by anyone. I would definitely talk to a C.O. and see about the minimum voltage requirements. What excatly does this neighbor farm? Livestock??? Anyone is entitled to have their own views on hunting, but nobody is going to change my views!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Herbinator

Post by Herbinator »

I suppose the wires could mysteriously become severed sometime in the middle of the night.... :wink:
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

O.K. that changes things. I would contact a C.O. for sure. Good luck with it.
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

Herbinator wrote:I suppose the wires could mysteriously become severed sometime in the middle of the night.... :wink:
A short to ground causes problems too. :twisted:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Herbinator wrote:I suppose the wires could mysteriously become severed sometime in the middle of the night.... :wink:
I'd probably do that too. BUT, then he could get ya in trouble for that, it would probably bounce back on you.
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I would have to agree that the hotwire fence will not deter deer at all. We run them on our property all around both pasture and have even had to replace some of the ribbon type that the deer have run through. The snapping will not keep them away, believe me, they actually get quite curious by nature and will come in to see what it is all about.
And also fencers have come a long ways, and some will drop a buffalo to its knees, and YES it is all legal-up to 14 joules of power, and man, you do not want to touch that.
I would say don't worry about the neighbour, but when you do harvest a deer, politely go over and knock on his door and offer him a nice venison roast :twisted:
Mike
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Do you pay taxes?? I know a silly question. Did you purchase a hunting licence this year? I know another silly question.

If you did CALL the MNR. You have already paid for their services, now use them!! Find out from them. Inform them of what has taken place. Let them investigate it. that is their JOB!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"