So close......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Alaspan

So close......

Post by Alaspan »

:x

Beuatiful morning in Lanark County, 6:30 a.m. all set up, the scent stick was burning, minus 5 or so celcius, very little wind and still relatively dark. Watching into some nice hardwoods off an alfalfa field. Out of the corner of my eye, poking along ever so slowly is the outline of a nice sized deer. Walking closer, broadside, coming my way. Holy shakes. It's a doe, and I'm thanking Excalibur for those scopes that use all available light. Man they're sweet. She right in front, but it's a new watch, and the distances aren't marked. The crosshairs on her for over a minute. Quartered towards me....come on...closer...this xbow is heavy dude... nope... Broadside turn!! Oh no, now she's turning away, walking so so slow..away from me..AHHHHHHHH!!!! I called, she didn't care, and walked off.

I paced out the tracks from the watch in the fresh snow. 35 yards. Turned out to be a hell of a runway, full of track!! Glad I held off, given the buck that I hit and lost earlier in the season around that distance (35 yards or so) maybe more.

Well, only 21 days left and nothing with Exocet yet. But, what a good feeling. So close, and yet, she was in the 'grey area'. Maybe next time.

Deeper into the bush and away from the field fence line I go...
Last edited by Alaspan on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JR

Post by JR »

Hopefully you'll get one soon. We've got until the 31st here. I'll be off between xmas and new year's. It appears that a few more bucks have moved into the area as well. (We didn't get any bunnies today either.) :? Let me know. BTW, great story, thanks for sharing. -JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on being under enough self-control to pass up the shot!!!
Sounds like a great morning even if she's still not tagged now. I finally broke down and scoped my Phoenix today so I could see better when shooting from my pop-up blind. With the black interior it cut about 15 minutes off the hunting time because it was just too dark inside to see the f/o front sight well enough to be sure of shot placement.
wabi
Biker

Post by Biker »

That close, Ruger Redhawk comes to mind.
Alaspan

Hmm

Post by Alaspan »

After reading some of the other threads, I'm second guessing myself. Ah well, next time. :x I'll be practicing 35 yd shots all spring it looks like...

Biker : Trust me, I wish I had my 9mm with me instead of the bow!! :wink:
jay73

Post by jay73 »

No bother second guessing man. What's done is done and there's a reason why you held off. All you can do is, like you said, practice at some different yardages and see how she goes.

Good luck getting them in close next time. Still lots of season left.

Jay