First Bear legall in Webster county

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Biker

First Bear legall in Webster county

Post by Biker »

My xStepdaughter of 12 years of age bagged the first legal bear in Webster county West Virginia this season. I was kinda proud of her till I heard of the dogs, the radio collars on the dogs, and the vehicles they used to get to the bear.
When I first heard the news, I was right proud. When I learned how she got the bear, well, I hung my head in discust.
It has become right shamefull that so called "hunters" place radio collars on their dogs to bring in the prize.
I have never used a dog to hunt .
Tom

Post by Tom »

Biker do not put down the use of dogs when hunting. Generally radio collars are used in tracking lost dogs, not the dogs when hunting, the apperatus needed to track is very combersome, if I remember correctly.

I use to use a beagle for deer hunting. Just listening to the tongueing of the dog when chasing the deer as it comes closer and closer will send shivers down your spine. Now this hunting is not for everone, but it is a different way of hunting.

With bear, an Outfitter here in Norther Ontario used dogs to chase bears. Alot of their customers hunted with cameras and not guns. The few clients that I had talked to told me that the excitement of hearing the dogs then crossing country to cut off the bear was total excitment. Again the use of dogs is not for everyone, but many people find it very exciting.

You should not put down a different way of hunting just becuase it is not the way you hunt. As long as it is legal, then it should be accepted.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Biker don't be so hard on the girl. If its legal don't knock it, any way of hunting is better than no hunting.
I wish my daughters would try it.
The old man from the mountain
JeffOwens

Post by JeffOwens »

I have only been hunting with dogs once - for racoon - I must admit it was amazing watching the dogs work.

My fathers friend who took us out used radio collars so he could track down a dog when one got lost.

Some people find hunting with dogs offensive, some people find crossbows offensive, some people find baiting offensive, some people find sitting up on a hill and harvesting a deer 500-600 yards out offensive, and some people find hunting all together offensive.

My point is at least she is out hunting. It's not like you had to hang you head in shame because she tossed a grenade down in a den while a bear was hibernating or something!

Be proud of her for getting out even if you don't like the way she hunts!!!