O/T Which muzzleloader to go with?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

morepowr

O/T Which muzzleloader to go with?

Post by morepowr »

I am in the process of researching which muzzleloader to go with. I am leaning towards the .50 cal TC Omega, but wondered if anyone had any good/bad to say about it.
"If it moves, my excocet will kill it"
wabi

Post by wabi »

My Omega seem to be to muzzleloaders what Excalibur is to crossbows!
Very accurate & dependable, easy to maintain, and durable. As with any muzzleloader it may take some experimenting to fing the charge/bullet combination for outstanding accuracy, but mine will shoot very tight groups (about 1" avg.) at 100 yards with a 300 grain Barnes MZ in front of 100 grains Pyrodex.
I might also add that T/C is a great company and stands behind their products. I lost the plug screws out of my Omega when I took them out to mount a scope base. I later called T/C to buy replacement screws and they wouldn't charge me for them! They insisted the ship them free as warranty replacement parts!
wabi
morepowr

Post by morepowr »

wabi wrote:My Omega seem to be to muzzleloaders what Excalibur is to crossbows!
Very accurate & dependable, easy to maintain, and durable. As with any muzzleloader it may take some experimenting to fing the charge/bullet combination for outstanding accuracy, but mine will shoot very tight groups (about 1" avg.) at 100 yards with a 300 grain Barnes MZ in front of 100 grains Pyrodex.
I might also add that T/C is a great company and stands behind their products. I lost the plug screws out of my Omega when I took them out to mount a scope base. I later called T/C to buy replacement screws and they wouldn't charge me for them! They insisted the ship them free as warranty replacement parts!

Thanks wabi, also I am thinking about going w/ the black and stainless barrel. The camo looks nice, but I think it won't make a difference concealing my position form 100 yards away.
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

The Omega is nice, but I would never get rid of myT/C Encore. I love that gun.
Riggs
big dog

Post by big dog »

I think Santa is bringing me a Savage smokeless powder model 10L for christmas-havn't shot 1 yet but have read a lot about them and there is a forum dedicated to them also{kind of like this forum is to excal crossbows}Illinois just passed the law this year to use smokeless powder and these guys are talking about shooting accurately out to 350-400 yards,not that I would ever atempt to do that -but knowing that a 200 yard shot would be reasonable with a lot of practice and load testing made me want one.Has anyone on here ever used 1?Anyway if I happen to get 1 for christmas I will let you know the results later.
big dog
I finally met Mrs.right-only I didn't know her first name was alway's
TB

Post by TB »

I have a NEF smoke pole. It is incredablely accurate. My load is 2 pellets 50 gr each Pyrodex with the 145 gr Powerbelt head. This load is supposed to be sighted in at 150yd and the drop is less then 9 inches over 200yd. Last year dropped a deer at 231yd with rangefinder. These bullets have never exited the animals we've taken. They mushroom to the size of a loonie and have never fragmented. Incredable energy release which stays in the animal for great knock down power. The gun is a break action where the back plug unscrews the full bore diameter so at the end of the day or hunt you can just unsrew it and the pellets are removed and the bullet pushed out to be used again. Easy to clean. All this for $189.00 CDN from SIR in Winnipeg.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I have 3 TC Encores they all shoot great. I use 90grs.by weight of 777 with 300gr sst they will shoot under 3 inch groups at 200yds.
Last edited by Lee on Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

If I were to get one it would definitely be an TC Encore.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I have had many so called BLACK POWDER guns including 3 T/C 'S , 2 KNIGHTS ,and 1 SAVAGE . And by far there is only one choice ,the SAVAGE ML !0 !! The versatility of this gun alone makes it the winner hands down . useing smokeless powder! after a week of testing I setteld on VV-110 at 46 grains with a sabot sub base , I get 2,645 F.P.S. and I can shoot 3.25" groups at 200 yards and 5.0" groups at 300 yards ,this is the load I hunt with during our shotgun season.
When useing BLACK POWDER during that season I shoot ( 4 ) 50 grain (pellets) of "TRIPPLE 7" . With both loads I use a HORNADAY 250 grain SST . this combo is just deadly !! Check out this web site it will help you to understand why this is what you should purchase, My gun is the OKUBO GREYWOLF HUNTER II under the custom stock page
GREYWOLF
http://sav10ml.com/pages/main.htm
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Deer Dave

Re: O/T Which muzzleloader to go with?

Post by Deer Dave »

morepowr wrote:I am in the process of researching which muzzleloader to go with. I am leaning towards the .50 cal TC Omega, but wondered if anyone had any good/bad to say about it.

Yep, you will indeed be happy with the OMEGA...I have one and it is a blast to shoot, easy to clean and extremely accurate. It has an excellant trigger also. I have great accuracy using 2- 777 pellets and the T/C XTP 240 grain HP sabot and Remington primers. I have the Realtree Camo/Stainless Steel Barrel Model.

Dave
morepowr

Post by morepowr »

Does anybody here have a thumbhole stock. While I was looking at our local gun store I looked at this and it seemed to feel more natural than a conventional stock, but that model is approx. $100 more.
geraldbergeron

Re: O/T Which muzzleloader to go with?

Post by geraldbergeron »

morepowr wrote:I am in the process of researching which muzzleloader to go with. I am leaning towards the .50 cal TC Omega, but wondered if anyone had any good/bad to say about it.
Hi

I own a Savage Smokeless ML10-ll ... IMO Black powder is a way back from that.

3-4 inches at 300 yards. It is the Exomax of powder.

and no need to clean it everyday... every 50 to 100 shots. It's my best.

............................................................Gerald............................/
Biker

Post by Biker »

The only Blackpowder rifle I have is my Great Grandads 75 calubure Sharps. I think it came across in the early 1800's' The originial statement is true----If you can see it, you can kill it. That was the advertisement on the piece of paper in the wooden box. It has a peep site rear view with windage and distance adjustment. and a ball on top the muzzle. Last time I fired it, my sholder hurt for a week. Its nearly 8 ft. long from butt to muzzle and sure makes a mess of whatever it hits. It throws a ball about the size of a quarter. I personally have no need for such a device. Its devistating to the shooter and the target. Them old guys must have been tough. 200 yards away, it knocked a hole in the engine block of the old Jeep. Right dead on the money as far as the sighting goes. Takes time to load, but what a load!!!!!!!!!! That thing will take the wheel off any truck for miles---if ya aim correctly. I hope you find the Blackpower your lookin for and please be most carefull with your load. I have seen plenty of .50 calilbures over loaded and the owners excaped near death with nasty scars on their faces. Black powder dont burn like modern gounpower. Black powder explodes!!!! Please be carefull.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Oh I forgot. Beeswax is the best for the barrell. No build-up, no hassles. Ya gotta lube the barrell.
Swat

Muzzleloader

Post by Swat »

I have heard Savage makes a muzzleloader which will shoot smokeless powder. Saves a lot of cleaning.