barometric affect on deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

barometric affect on deer

Post by Boo »

This being a sad time of not having anything to hunt I start to think about the various days I spent hunting. It occured to me that there were a fair number of days that I saw no deer at all. Most of those days were pretty windy and I thought it may be about the deer feeling insecure because of their ability to sense danger via their nose or ears. After doing some surfing it appears to some people think that the barometric pressure has much to do with deer activity amongst other things.
Has any one here kept a log on weather conditions and deer activity? Do you know of any good sites that discuss these issues?
Don
maddog

Post by maddog »

Here is a little something on the subject:

Barometer

Most outdoorsman pay close attention to the barometric pressure as an indication of general activity no matter what sort of game they may be after. This is the number one one weather indictor to pay attention to and check regularly when heading to the woods. While it can be a complicated topic, whitetails seem to favor a moving barometer to a stationary one. A rising barometer (such as high pressure moving in after a storm) verses a falling one and a steady high barometer verses a steady low one seems to promote the best activity. You may want to invest in a barometer for your deer lodge or camp so you can track your specific area verses the one your get from the TV weather man, sometimes 100 miles or more from where you are.

A barometer in your deer camp will give you the ability to accurately anticipate the amount of deer movement you can expected on your next hunt..
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yep anything but a steady Baro is good...I purchased a Magellan GPS it trakes Baro history over a 24 hr period and gives temp and sunrise and sunset and best times for activity..Its a good tool..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
maple

Post by maple »

Barometer? Now I need a barometer?

What happened to moon cycles? That was the hot topic a couple of months ago. Full moon vs. new moon. Moon overhead vs. underfoot. I even got the tables off the internet. It's primordial in all beasts.

And tides!! Don't forget the tides. Even though they may be "virtual" in inland regions, the moon's influence is still felt. Fisherman know that.

And then you have sunrise and sunset major activity periods. These are the huge deer activity influences, since they are crepuscular in nature.

OH! And the wind. Always consider the wind intensity. It can totally stop them from travelling.

And the temperature. The colder the better! Deer move better in the cold.

The rut!! Watch out for the rut. The rut's the thing.

And now I need a barometer

I think I'll just have to spend all my spare time in the bush. That's the ticket. :wink:

Maple
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Hey Maple my GPS has moon Phase also....but I never conscider it.. :lol:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!