shoot into the ground or hold the string????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

shoot into the ground or hold the string????

Post by wabi »

After offering sage advice to unload by shooting into the ground many times I decided to unload by holding the string and releasing the trigger with my thumb the other evening because I was hunting on the ground and we had snow to loose an arrow in. Don't know what went wrong, I've done it a few times with no problems, but at about 3 or 4 inches into the lowering I lost my grop on the string. I can now join Woody as one of the people with no fingerprints :shock: No damage to the Phoenix as it wasn't a complete dry-fire, but my cold fingers sure stung for a few hours! From now on it's fire an arrow into the ground for me! Even if I loose an arrow, they're replacable. My fingers aren't!!!!!!
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

I now finger unload with light cotton work gloves after my Max demonstrated its uncocky side.With these gloves on I,ve certainly felt more protected and confident.
Hope that helps.
eNORMous
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Buck Fever

Post by Buck Fever »

I've done the same thing. I now use the rope cocking aid when I uncock my bow. I usually prefer to unload into a deer though.
JCB

Post by JCB »

I would not even consider trying to uncock my Exomax without using the rope cocking aid.

And you've got it right there in your pocket, why not use it?

Unless you brutes are actually drawing your Crossbows without one :o !
Archery Season is so long--I had to buy a Crossbow!
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

Buck Fever wrote:I've done the same thing. I now use the rope cocking aid when I uncock my bow. I usually prefer to unload into a deer though.
:lol:
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

when it's cold using the cocking aid to uncock the bowt, last time i shot a bolt in the ground i lost the tip and the insert.
PRB

Post by PRB »

Ouch !!!
Thanks for sharing your experience of safety wabi.
Did you stick them in the snow to help numb the pain or just use curse words ?
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I carry a box about one foot square or maybe a little bigger packed tight with rags and duct taped, when I come in from hunting I get it out and shoot into it, the arrows come out easy.
It also makes a good target .

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I almost always use the rope cocking aid. At all times, I make darn sure the hooks are tight on the string. I had one bad experience with a bow that got away, a horton 150 pounder, and it kicked me real hard. Foot came out of the stirup, and had I been treestand hunting, I would have tested my harness for sure. I was ground hunting, and it knocked me on my A$$, like right now. It also hurt like all get out. Lesson learned. I will shoot sometimes to make sure everything is still on though. Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I always wear gloves to uncock my ExoMax, but when it's really cold out even with gloves on it hurts. I tried using my rope cocking aid to uncock the bow on the last hunt of the season and was pleasantly surprised on how easy it was. I'll be doing it that way from now on.

Partikle
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Hi Wabi...I always hold the string to unload...I guess you get used to it after awhile....my co/hunting partners shoot into the ground...whatever works best :)
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I uncocked an Exomax with one hand yesterday. No problems. You guys might think I ma kjidding but it is true. I was going to post a picture of how to do it but hut101 is down.

My local bowshop showed me. Stay tuned for further info.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i have always unloaded by putting my foot in the sturap pulling hard on the string with my left hand pulling the trigger with my right,,,,,with gloves on,,, i also am missing some finger prints,,slipped a few times,,,,,,,you want a real shocker,cock it by hand have the string to break,it takes about 10 minutes for you to realize you are not dead.

hatchet jack :shock:
they say he is still up there.
BUCKSLAYER

response

Post by BUCKSLAYER »

you guys do what you want but i always shoot my horton into the ground with a field pointed bolt,i wouldnt even think about a hand release..crazy
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Read all your posts several times, my part of Arkansaw is so rocky that if you see two touching today, there will be three there tomorrow, please explain how to uncock an Exomax w/o ruining an arrow? Saw a pict in manual w/ one side of rope cocker tight to rail, w/ one hand on other handle. I believe caption said to refer to video, but no matter since it takes all I can muster to cock it w/ two hands. Thanks to all, awshucks
"Eze 18:21"