Bucks with antlers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DJ test

Bucks with antlers

Post by DJ test »

Has anyone seen bucks with antlers?
A friend of mine that works on the Pinery Provincial Park saw a six point yesterday.
Is it because of the mild winter???
Hardy Buck

Post by Hardy Buck »

Saw 18 deer this afternoon, none of witch had racks. I was thinking, (mostly guessing) that is has something to do with the mineral growth in the antlers. Since winter dormints proper mineral plants, the lack of, causes the antlers to drop?? This is what i could figure out so far, is this corect?

Vic
rigbymi

Post by rigbymi »

Got (2) 10 pt. buck where I work at and when I saw them today they still had their antlers. I live in Maryland, USA. I think by the 1st week in March they should drop off.
Riggs
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

This weekend went out to take some pics, seen four bucks together all with horns.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Here in the Ottawa Ontario area we had the antlers falling off before New Years on some of the bucks. Other people in Ontario have told me they saw bucks at the end of January with the antlers still on?
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

i've been checking every weekend, where i going there are a large number of deer, and i've seen some nice racks, i want to see when the fall, maybe i can find a good one to use next season trying to rattle a big one in front of my pphoenix.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Our bigger ones have lost theirs but the smaller ones are still holding. I have some come in the back yard every evening hitting the feed barrel. I have seen small bucks as Late as April while scouting for Gobblers but that is not the norm.
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

almost hit a big deer on the road just down from my house. A good size deer w/o a rack, but i guess it could just have easily been a doe. Was right in my lane as i came over a slight rise. could have cared less and didnt even look at me, so i swerved arround it. Kinda sounds like the behavior of a big Buck, perhaps?
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

I saw several bucks last weekend, mules and whitetails, with both antlers...but I picked up a moose shed.

Last edited by bushmaster on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

do most of you guys find sheded antlers, this past year in november on the first week of deer season, found an antler in very good condition i'm guessing it was either droped durring a buck fight, or maybe it was there since previous spring.
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

there was two on the weekend feeding from the nieghbors bird feeder a 6 point and a bigger one about an 8 point but I didn't get a good look.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Haven't been out at the property yet this year, hopefully this coming weekend, can hardly wait. I'll cruise all my alfalfa fields with the snowmobile, then wait till the snow melts and head in the bush, yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaw.........

Grey Owl
rutman

Post by rutman »

I have noticed over the past few years that the yarded river area bucks drop first. I think it's because of terrain related burning of the minerals required to maintain them. Two big bucks antlers were found in mid to late december by a couple buddies. Both sheds were found by river area hunters. All the bucks away from the river areas are keeping to at least the end of january.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

pphoenix wrote:do most of you guys find sheded antlers, this past year in november on the first week of deer season, found an antler in very good condition i'm guessing it was either droped durring a buck fight, or maybe it was there since previous spring.
dropped earler that year...if they break one fighting its usally a tip of the tines or piece of one..you can tell the difference when you look at the shed if its a shed its obvious it is a shed..the bottom of it will be full and intact as if just fell of the head..thus a shed..yes i do find sheds occasionally..around here the rodents eat them so fast its hard to find them before the eat them..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Lee

Post by Lee »

I saw a nice 6 point last night cross the road in front of me.