Hunting Jacks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pphoenix

Hunting Jacks

Post by pphoenix »

This past week went jack hunting, my first time, loved it, went just north of kitchener
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

how do you post pictures
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

sorry guys can't post pictures, unless i can post them somewhere else first.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I post them on hunt101.com and then copy the url to here.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

thanks, i'm going to try that.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

it was a terrible day with lots of snow, but i had lots of fun and shot my first jack
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

thanks ecoaster it worked.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Very good pphoenix. How did you hunt these Jacks with the shotguns? Did you just walk the fence lines, or set-up a drive with your buddies? Give us the whole story. I interested in hunting Jacks, we've got lots of them here in Sask.

Grey Owl
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

yeah we used shot guns, one of the guys sometimes takes his rifle but he didn't this time, but yeah we just walked the fence lines, it was really hard that day with the deep snow, and we always had one guy set up ahead of the other three, but the three of us walking did all the shooting. it was fun, one time one of the guys is walking a fence i'm looking at him and i think he must have stepped on the jack, cause the jack jumpped bewind him went around him and he never saw him until i told him, he shoot it and when we went to pick it us another one junped right in front of my feet. also died. It was very fun, but when it was time to head back and we had the 6 jacks on us it was a really long heavy walk, but it was worth it, i'll go again any time. we were gonna go try another place this tuesday that just passed but i had to work, ha well.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I didn't think we were allowed to hunt Jackrabbits in Ontario, I thought only cottontails. :?
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

one of the guys i went with has hunted jacks in ontario the last 25 years at least, and yes it's legal. and it's fun, when they take off, they can really run. :)
Tom

Post by Tom »

TYE wrote:I didn't think we were allowed to hunt Jackrabbits in Ontario, I thought only cottontails. :?
The first hunting trip I took was after jack rabbits. All rabbits (cotton Tail rabbit, jack rabbit,& Snowshoe) in Ontario is legal to hunt. I love hunting jack rabbits espically if you have a beagle for a chase. I started to hunt them with a shotgun, then went to a 22. Finally got my dad's 223 to hunt them. Now that is something to try, hitting a jack rabbit on the full run wiht a rifle.

pphoenix congrats on your hunting trip but you did get me dreaming of the old days when I hunted them. Oh yes !!!!!!!!! they do get heavy EH!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: . A little tip we used to do when there was snow, was to carry some light rope and drag them from our waste (I guess the newer deer drags would work well for that also). Oh yes, snow shoes is a must in jack rabbit huntting.

Good luck your next trip.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
awshucks

HUNTING JACKS

Post by awshucks »

Nice looking rabbits!! Here's a trick you might try. Hold the rabbit belly up w/ his head at your body, put both thumbs on the rib cage and start squeezun the innards toward its rear. You will hear a pop when they break loose. Then you just crack em like a whip, and almost all the entrails are laying on the ground. Works best on fresh shot ones, sure does lighten the load too.
"Eze 18:21"
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

We always used to go on Jack Drives. I loved it. We would get about a dozen guys and cover a whole concession. We would dress in white and walk in a V pattern about 75 yds apart. I would love to do that again. The first time I ever went we got 32 jacks.
peter p

Post by peter p »

PPhoenix,
looks like you guys had a blast.
How far north of kitchener do you go?