Painting my Exocet?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

Painting my Exocet?

Post by confederate »

I have a Deer hide brown Exocet that I want to Camo. If I paint the Metal parts also, will the paint stay on? I will take any pointers any of you guys have also.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

Cabelas has got a camoflauging kit for about 11 or 12 dollars.You can get it in 3 or four different patterns. You shrink it with a blow dryer.

Hope this helps. :)

Buckbuster
confederate

Post by confederate »

buckbuster,Where would I find there camo kit on there web site?
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
buckbuster

Post by buckbuster »

Yes, you can find it in there website and thier catalog. It should be in the stock or firearm section.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Inexpensive camo tape should do the trick. Try Realtree Grey Hardwoods.
Just clean your stock first for better adhesion. And don't forget the scope.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
confederate

Post by confederate »

Wouldnt the weight of the Camo tape on the limbs slow the Bow speed down?
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Digger

Post by Digger »

bstout wrote:confederate: Modifications lower the resale value of equipment. What I mean is if you modify a piece of equipment you own it.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're going to keep the bow for the rest of your life. A modified bow will not be worth as much as the "stock" version.
I'vr modified 3 or 4 of my Excals with Ten Point acudraws, Mark's custom stocks, put mag limbs on carve limb bows and always came better than when I went in, cash wise. It depends on how you modify. Some of the paint jobs members have done on their xbows are works of art. I do agree that tape camo tho is kind of tacky.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
confederate

Post by confederate »

I'm really doesnt matter to me about the resale value of my Crossbow. I think I,m gonna paint it. Should I take it apart and just paint the stock and limbs or will the paint stick well to the metal parts too? I know some of you have painted your Crossbows so how about some tips.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Here's a pic of my Exocet. I painted it in 2003. Same year I got it. The paint is holding up well. I used Krylon camo paint. I took the bow apart, and taped any places I didn't want to get paint on/in. Decide what you want you base colour to be, then paint everything that colour. Allow to dry. Use masking tape, torn lengthwise so you get irregular edges, place strips on the various parts at random. Now apply your next colour. Repeat with another colour. I did this for my bold underlying pattern. I then used ceder leaves as a reverse stencil, alternating with light and dark paint. This adds an illusion of depth and shadow. After it had dried you may want to apply a matte clear coat of acrylic.

I painted all surfaces except the top of the rail. I also painted my scope.

The camera I have isn't very good so the pic is not the best.Image
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Here's another pic, hopefully with a little more detail..

Here's a pic of my shotgun, that I also painted. Just to give you another idea for a camo pattern. I find this pattern to be a little more universal than the one I have on my crossbow. Believe it or not, I have set my shotgun down and had a hard time finding it!!!!

You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

chris your crossbow looks great, the only thing giving it away is the arrows.
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

again it's a choice of total concealment or finding the arrows, if you miss your target"deer, turkey", or it drops out of it. I haven't hunted with my phoenix yet, and have already lost an arrow, my friends son shoot it and missed the target, never found the arrow.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

my choice is without a doubt to become invisible, nothing can see me, smell or ear me. if you can do that it's a great advantage.
confederate

Post by confederate »

I painted my Exocet about a month ago. It looks good but the paint wont stay on the back of the limbs. It flakes off pretty Quick when I shoot it. Anybody else have this problem?
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

I use any paint that is good for BBQ's etc. ( for example , tremcald etc. ) ... whatever paint you use , spray it on lightly or it will flake off .

Use cedar branches as stencils ... works real well .

Here is picture of a Black Vixen I dressed up with cedar stencil ... light coat ... no flaking of the limbs .

I did the scope on my Exomax the same way ...

You could PM DesertRat ... he is guru of " all that is paint " ... he did this Relayer for me .

Or e-mail Excalibur ... they did all their old bows like that ... here is a picture of a Wolverine stock ... they could tell you what paint they used .

ppheonix wrote :
chris your crossbow looks great, the only thing giving it away is the arrows.
If a deer gets close enough to see the arrow fletchings , it should be dead ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "