Tree Stand Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Tree Stand Question

Post by Normous »

Back in 1989 while in my tree stand I accidently dropped my vertical bow. It fell sideway and only bent the sights, fortunatly. :oops: :roll: :evil: :shock:
Since purchasing my first Excal in 1991 all my hunting has been done from the ground and very successfully I might add. While at Cabelas yesterday I admired a Summit Bullet climbing tree stand that folds for $ 269. Many times I've wanted to be up in a tree again but wondering what could happen if one dropped an Exbow out of a tree. I'm certainly not a clumsy hunter but the thought if it landing on the buttstock pointing upward kinda scares the hell out of me. A drop from a 20' could cause the safety to fail, I'm thinking. :arrow: :cry:
Has any forum member accidently dropped a Exbow out of a tree? Did anything break? Did it fire accidently?
Maybe a short tether attached between the buttstock and treestand would limit its fall and direct it's pointed direction downward. :idea:
Any stories guys and girls?

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Tom

Post by Tom »

if your 12 feet up a tree ........... tie a saftey string on the butt about 8 feet. If it ever falls, it will not hit the ground and if the string breaks, the stock will be up pointing the arrow away from you into the ground.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I usually just hold the crossbow or hang it by the strirrup on a hook. However, with a climber you could fashion two holders or cradles on the bar that is in front of you when seated. Something for the butt end and the forestock to sit in to hold the bow. Just make sure it can be in a position where you are clear of the limbs. If by chance it did fire, I wouldn't want to get smacked by one of those limbs. :x

Someone may have a picture of something like this they could post. Hope my description is clear.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Tom

Post by Tom »

To hold my bow while in my climber, I use an ATV bun holder. You know the ones that are U shaped and just bolt them on both sides. But I never climb with the bow in it, I pull the bow up after with a string.
Tom
Normous

Post by Normous »

Tom wrote:To hold my bow while in my climber, I use an ATV bun holder. You know the ones that are U shaped and just bolt them on both sides. But I never climb with the bow in it, I pull the bow up after with a string.
Hmmmm...."ATV holder" :idea: Sounds good.
Thanks Bud!

Norm
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Tom wrote:if your 12 feet up a tree ........... tie a saftey string on the butt about 8 feet. If it ever falls, it will not hit the ground and if the string breaks, the stock will be up pointing the arrow away from you into the ground.
I hope you do not have an arrow on the rail while you pull the bow up, this would not be safe either way you haul up the bow.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Farmer the above quote you listed came from an answer to a question about what would happen if your bow fell when in a climber. I know people that just shorten the string they haul up their bow with just incase they do acidently drop their bow. IF the bow does fall, the string should stop it from hitting the ground, but if the string does break, because it is tied to the stock, the bow will be pointed away towards the ground. I found that the string can get in the way (getting tangled) but I believe that it is a small inconvience if your worried about dropping it.

I personally do not leave the bow tied to the string, but I use the ATV gun holders to hold the bow. I believe that with some of these more comfortable tree stands, that there is a chance of falling asleep, which I believe is why some are scared of having their bow fall.

Hope this clears my above statements.
Tom
peter p

Post by peter p »

I think sandman dropped his bow from his tree stand and nothing happened to it.
Not sure if it went off or not.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
Normous

Post by Normous »

peter p wrote:I think sandman dropped his bow from his tree stand and nothing happened to it.
Not sure if it went off or not.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=
Thanks for the informative post Pete and Tom for the ATV holder suggestion :idea: Good one.

My wife ( God bless a good hunting wife ) just mentioned she is going to get the Summit Bullet Climber for my birthday in April. That gives me 5 months to practice my climbing, SAFETY and shooting skills. When that buck steps into my shooting he will be mine. :D

Norm
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
BryanOney

Dropped X-bow

Post by BryanOney »

I once dropped a loaded Barnett crossbow out of a tree. I can still see that thing rotating as it fell in slow motion. It was loaded and I was scared. I thought I was going to get probed by a bolt with a broadhead on it. When the x-bow hit the ground, it did go off sending the bolt up through the woods never to be found, but not at me. Certainly not the proudest moment of my life, but I felt lucky to come out unscathed. The crossbow was not damaged. The scope was still right on target when I went home and shot the x-bow.
jc2white

Post by jc2white »

One time while climbing the ladder to my treestand the ladder broke sending me and my excal 16 feet to the ground. The bow was cocked but not loaded and did not go off. I was stuned and the bow was undamaged.
speedball

Post by speedball »

Enormous, last year i dropped my tenpoint from about 13 feet up straight down it hit on the foot stirrup crushing it to the limbs and also acting as a shock absorber the bow was fine but it sure sent a sinking feeling to me, from now on no stupid moves i thought i'll be sure to hook it up to the rope right after i decide to get down so if it falls maybe i could grab that too, speedball...............
gone huntin never to return................