String longevity question?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pokynojoe

String longevity question?

Post by pokynojoe »

Hello all
After some research, I purchased an Excalibur Phoenix about a week ago. I've shot it about 20 to 30 times just about every day since I've got it. Today I blew the serving. I have waxed the string according to directions. I guess my question is this: Is this typically the life span (approx. 200 shots+/-)? Also, is there a book or some kind of reference I can purchase to learn how to re-serve, if you will, the string? I realize strings have to be replaced but every few weeks could get expensive. I assume the string is unsafe to use when part of the serving is gone. I tried the search feature as I'm sure this has been addressed in the past but I guess I didn't do it right, because I didn't find a satisfactory answer. Also, I'm from the slide rule generation, and that may be the problem.

regards
Joe
awshucks

sting wear

Post by awshucks »

Hi pjoe, Welcome to the forum!! I'm kinda new too, I'm sure someone will give you the answers you need. If you glance at the back pages, you'll soon see that almost every topic has been discussed at length, and there is just a ton of information there. One of the things I recall is if your useing a cocking device, there might be sharp edges that need to be smoothed. Also, the different strings offered wear differently. If you do the back pages thing, be prepared to spend some time, as they are addicting!!
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have replaced my strings every year and never saw any real wear. I can only imagine that its just luck of the draw and you got a bad serving on your string unless as awshucks said it was damaged. Luckily its not a big deal to reserve. You need a serving too and a spool of serving material. Carefull because there is different diameter serving material. If you own a compound then you might want to get a spool that you can use on that bow as well. The last spool cost me $30.00 cdn or so (I think) but it should last you a life time. On the other hand your next string may last you a year or more. I have four or five strings that are quite serviceable. You can have them all accept one if you want.
patmax

Post by patmax »

http://rfd.cc/endless/

http://www.lerduen.dk/bowstring/bowstring.htm

http://www.brownellco.com/pages/archeryMAIN.html

http://www.allaboutfishing.com/Store/pr ... urerID=BCY

Pokeynojoe,

I've given a couple of websites that cover string making and show the items you will need. You need a serving tool, serving material (string), and a bowstring jig will be helpfull. Your serving material should be chosen based on the type of material your bowstring is made of - probably something recommended for Fast Flight.

This info should get you started.

Good luck,
patmax
wabi

Post by wabi »

Joe,
If I'm reading right you got around 200 shots on your serving before it failed. From my experience that seems reasonable. I make my own strings and seldom let one wear excessively before I replace/repair it. I probably get around 100 - 150 shots per serving, but I also probably re-serve before it's really necessary.
wabi
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Thank you all for your responses. You are all most generous.

Wabi:
200 shots is about correct. It looks like I'm going to need to learn how to re-serve my strings!

Boo:
You are most kind with offering me your extra strings. However, I believe there are probably others on the forum more in need then I am that would also appreciate your generous offer.

awshucks:
You are correct. I figured out how to read the archive, most informative.

patmax:
Thank you for the references, I'm sure they will come in handy.

Actually, my physician recommended the crossbow as a way to alleviate stress. I promised him I'd consider it. I'm fortunate in that I'm able to walk out my back door every evening and shoot. I'm not sure whether it will relieve my particular problem, but I have to say it is a very relaxing thing to do after work. I have firearms and enjoy shooting and reloading for them, but that requires time away from work and trips to a range, that I can't indulge right now. I am enjoying my crossbow very much.

Warm regards
Joe
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

i'm glad you're enjoying your phoenix, excellent choice :wink: all the best :!:
For me hunting is just like Mossy Oak, it's not a passion, it's an Obsession
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think I want to start using your doctor....,man is he smart!
Wabi is that all you should expect? I guess I shoot less than I think I do unless the flemmish strings servings last longer. Is that possible?
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The new style limb and riser seem to eat strings faster than the older carved limb models. I have a neighbour who bought a 185# Exomag the 1st year they came out. He shot the original string till last summer, when it finally blew. He just kept it waxed and kept moving the string as the serving wore.

I do not seem to get the sring life from my Exocet 200 with FF flemish twist compared to my old 165# Exocet with mag tip limbs.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Mine is an old fart and of course my flemish string is not fast flight.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've had the same string on my Phoenix since last April when I bought it. Not a thing wrong with it, and I shoot it ALOT. Didn't take me long to wear out the serving that comes on the string. I took my crossbow into the shop in town here, and had them make me a new serving on my string. I've had that serving for a long time now, and it's still holding up perfect, not spreading appart or tearing. It's a special crossbow serving material. I've just started shooting with my Dacron string instead now, and I think I may get it re-served too. Anyways, that's all I did.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

bstout: Thank you. I did just that yesterday. Also, I took some emery cloth and polished the inside radius of the hooks on the rope cocking device. I put a new string on my bow and fired about 50-60 shots yesterday afternoon and the serving seems to be holding up well. Also, I read in the archive about burnishing the wax into the string with a piece of leather. That seems to have helped also. So, we'll see. I've decided to purchase the items necessary to re-serve my strings just in case.

Tye: Hello and thank you. You wouldn't happen to know what type of serving thread they put on your string?

Thanks all
Joe
BigBear

Post by BigBear »

Also check for any rough edges on the rear insert...i sometimes smooth them out with some emry cloth..BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads