Awshucks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big John

Awshucks

Post by Big John »

I have had many people inquire as to the weight and speed produced from Excal's, Gold tips, 100 gr. heads , etc.
The thing that I say the most is: If you have access to a shooting range and can fletch your own Bolts, remove or replace inserts, file parts down, add extra weight, change off set, the possibilities are endless. Speed , trajectory, KE, FOC can all be played with to achieve the results you want.
Many Guys wont tell you how much time and effrot it took to get to where they are now, in terms of achieving speed and accuracy of their Excals.
TEST, TEST , TEST is my best answer. One person getting a specific result from their EXoMax will not be the same as yours necessarily. It may have took them an amazing amount of time and patience to get there.
No offence to anyone, just saying how much difference there is from Bow to bow, even with the same Bow. :wink:

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

John: thanks for the info. I'm in the sticks in Ar. We got one half buttocked archery shop and Mal-Wart. I've got to order out everything I get. I don't have a chrony or scale, I do have a combination that's giving me 330 fps, 98 ft# k.e. and does well on the target at all ranges. I'm kinda new to all of this, had several xbows in the past, most in toy category. I was just looking for general info, not looking for someones secrets that they spent beau-coup time developing, sorry if my questions came across wrong. I pretty much have to go w/ "store bought" as I can't afford to get into arrow building. I have read every page and all the archives, it's just that there is so much info in them, it's hard to go back and find the answers. One thing for sure, I'm both amazed and impressed with the patience you guys have for us newcomers. Thank you again, good luck and good hunting!!
"Eze 18:21"
Tom

Post by Tom »

awshucks wrote:. ....... One thing for sure, I'm both amazed and impressed with the patience you guys have for us newcomers. Thank you again, good luck and good hunting!!
Awshucks we were all newcomers at one time or another. I have shot crossbows for over 25 years, and had my relayer for about 23 years now. Even using the crossbow for that long, I still learn new things all the time. The only way for people to learn is to ask questions. The only bad or stupid question is one that is not asked.

Good luck in learning and enjoying this sport.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Big John

awshucks

Post by Big John »

No problem friend. :) I have no problem with giving out info you need. It's just that you may still need to work with what you have to get the same results as me, or someone else. anytime you need to know something that has already been tested by someone, will save you a little time and money. We are all here for the same thing. Hunting! And getting the Game we target. With the first shot! Anything we can do to help each other is always a bonus. 8)

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Well, thanks!! I'm going on my first xbow hunt the 24th in Texas for hogs. Thanks to Excal and you guys, I'm ready!! Aint felt this way since I was a kid gettig a BB gun for Xmas!!
"Eze 18:21"
TYE

Re: Awshucks

Post by TYE »

John wrote:I have had many people inquire as to the weight and speed produced from Excal's, Gold tips, 100 gr. heads , etc.
The thing that I say the most is: If you have access to a shooting range and can fletch your own Bolts, remove or replace inserts, file parts down, add extra weight, change off set, the possibilities are endless. Speed , trajectory, KE, FOC can all be played with to achieve the results you want.
Many Guys wont tell you how much time and effrot it took to get to where they are now, in terms of achieving speed and accuracy of their Excals.
TEST, TEST , TEST is my best answer. One person getting a specific result from their EXoMax will not be the same as yours necessarily. It may have took them an amazing amount of time and patience to get there.
No offence to anyone, just saying how much difference there is from Bow to bow, even with the same Bow. :wink:

John
Amen :)
Big John

awshucks

Post by Big John »

I am very interested in a hunt for Hogs in the south. I have read a few articles on it and seen some good pics. I think it's time to start checking the Regs. on bringing them ( meat) back here to Canada. I 've heard nothing but good about the Hog hunts. Any info that can be provided for me would be appreciated. 8)

John

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]