Dog issues

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rick

Dog issues

Post by Rick »

Hey guys, need a bit of help here!

I have a dog (small munsterlander pointer) and his nails keep falling off. I mean every one of them.

He has them fall off about every 6 months, 1 at a time and the poor thing is in pain.

Any ideas what it could be?

Open to all information.

Thanks for your help

Rick
Have a good hunt!

Rick
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

I go to another site where a vet is a frequent poster. When they fall off, are you talking right down to the quick, so they bleed or what? Give me a few more details and I'll ask him.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm not biting,
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Definately have it checked out by your vet!! I worked as a vet tech for ten years and can tell you there can be more than one cause for nails falling off. Fungal infections, underlying disease, poor nutrition. Any good vet will tell you they can't diagnose over the phone or in this case over the internet. Without all the facts any guess is a stab in the dark.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Rick

Post by Rick »

Bushmaster: yes some of them fall off right down to the quick, usually they just dry up underneith and the top layer falls off. usually does not result in bleeding.

Boo: niether is he!!!!!!!

Chris: good advise, i was just looking for some ideas with having to pay all the extra. I keep my dog well fed so I know it is not the nutrition issue. [color=blue]It could be a fungal infection[/color]. Had blood work performed on him a couple of years ago and there was no underlying issues.

Anyways, thanks for the help and input
Rick
Have a good hunt!

Rick
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sorry Rick, thought it was going to be a joke.
Do you keep the nails trimmed down really short? Have you tried geletin? It works on people so why not try it on dogs?
Let me know what the answers are. My best friend raises springers and another good friend is a Vet so I can ask them.
BTW I agree about not spending $ if possible so what you are doing is right. Ask first. Lots of guys that I know breed and field trial dogs ususally ask around first before calling the vet.
PM me if you still need some answers but the length of the nails is important. If I neglect to keep my dogs' nails short they do on occasion peel off, not the whole thing but I've seen 1/3rd of the upper layer peel off. I try to keep them really short.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Boo wrote:BTW I agree about not spending $ if possible so what you are doing is right. Ask first. Lots of guys that I know breed and field trial dogs ususally ask around first before calling the vet.
Trying to save money is one thing but getting medical opinions and advice from people who have not gone through years of school and are actively practicing medicine is foolish. Just because someone breeds and raises dogs does not mean they have all the answers or any for that matter. I've seen enough of what happens when breeders medicate or treat animals without knowing what they are doing. I sure as hell wouldn't trust the word of anyone I don't know. My pets lives are worth more than a few saved pennies. There is no accountability when it comes to strangers. Would you see a dentist for a heart problem?

Rick: Was the bloodwork that you had done for the nail problem? Animals, dogs, age much quicker than we do. Consider that a one year old dog is essentially an adult!! Changes in the body take place much quicker, so bloodwork that was done 2 years ago and was clear may have changed significantly. While working as a tech I always found it "funny" that people would complain after spending money to find out nothing was wrong with their pet. Finding out your dog is healthy is good news! Yeah you had to pay for it, but the peace of mind that comes with it should more than make up for it. If your vet suspects fungus is causing the nail falloffs they can send a nail or swab out for testing. Without knowing the specific organism that is causing the problem(type of fungus/bacteria) the vet won't know what medication to prescribe.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"It CAN Be Done!"
Boo

Post by Boo »

By the way you are talking I can only imagine you misunderstand what I am saying. I was not suggesting that I would find a medical treatment for his dog. I was making an offer to ask some a vet and a dog breader for some ideas and advice. If something is wrong with one of my dogs I call my friend who has a dog kennel and a breeder of all of my dogs or another friend who is a vet rather than bring them in right away. On occasion I am told by one or both not to bring the dog in for medical attention until I try some thing. One good example is if they have the runs. Assuming thats all of the symptoms they both tell me to deny water or food (I don't remember with one) and give them keopectate, another time one of my dogs swallowed a fishing jig (no hook) and I was told to put a pinch of washing soda in their mouth. Both over the phone recommendations worked. Other times I am told to bring the dog in. NO I would not operate on the dog as per anyone's instructions but yes some things make sense. The best situation is to have a vet or some one who knows and has lots of experience with dogs and the worst thing is to have a vet program you to bring the dog in each and everytime the dog sneezes. If you check you will find that an awfull lot of dog kennels that medicate under phone supervision/advice of a vet. I was not telling anyone that I would get an exact diagnosis of what is wrong and send a syringe with something in it! I was also not telling anyone that they should not take their dog to the vets.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

If its nothing you the owner feels is a serious problem and whom should know how your pet acts when feeling well, I would try some home remedies suggested by dog breaders or some one I feel has some fair knowldge about dogs.

On the other hand if it seems like a serious problem, it's straight to the vet no questions ask. If the nails are falling off and a good bit of bleeding is happening, or if it a constant thing I sure would get the dog to your vet.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Here's a quick example of what can go wrong when you get information from the uneducated. Your cat has arthritis and seems to be in pain, you ask a friend who you trust and they say give him half a tylenol. Hey why not, right? It helps with your aching muscles and joints. Well your cat will surely be dead before too long. Tylenol is toxic to kitties. I've witnessed this.

I'm telling you that I have seen people walk in with their animals in worse shape after trying something suggested by their breeder. I have seen animals come from a breeder with medication. One particular incident I recall, not only were the meds wrong for the condition, the doseage was ten times the amount the animal should have been given if it were in need of it.

People will walk in with pet store remedies or "meds". Often they are useless products with doseages that do not take into account the animals weight. How can 1 drop of so and so be ok for both a chihuahua and a Great Dane?

Do you see what I'm getting at? So you put some ointment on as recommended by your breeder. How often do you apply it? For how long? Do you need to wash it before applying the next dose? Does the foot need to be bandaged or is better off let to breath? Are anitobiotics needed for secondary bacterial infections? When the foot gets worse as a result of the misinformation what are you going to say to the breeder? What's it going to cost to get the worsened condition better?

Go work in an animal hospital for ten years and you will also have the same feelings in regards to this.

"It CAN Be Done!"
Rick

Post by Rick »

Thanks Gary and Boo for the insight.....

Chris, I have had dogs all my life and have never seen this condition. I feel that I am mature enough and knowledgable enough to make a decision on my own without being chastized for looking for some information or suggestions from other animal owners who possibly have seen the same condition. I am not stupid enough to administer medication to one of my dogs without prior vet approval. I am not stupid enough to think that I am a vet and will take the life of my dog that lightly. I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR OTHER PET OWNERS EXPERIENCES AND POSSIBLE CAUSES!!!!!

Guess I came to the wrong place for that.

Sorry guys to have burdened you with my question.

Have a great day.

Rick
Have a good hunt!

Rick
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Rick,

You asked a question. Others responded, as did I.

I merely gave you my side/opinion on this matter. I gave first hand accounts of what can go wrong. There are many who visit and read these posts, so if I shed a little light or perhaps have helped educate anyone in the slightest when it comes to taking care of there pets then I have helped. And if you have a problem with that I could care less.

You said you were looking for pet owners experiences. I am a pet owner. I gave you what you wanted, experiences. It's up to you to decide what to do. But I'm not going to stay silent when I read that others suggest to seek advice from someone outside the medical field. I am passionate about the proper care of our pets.

"It CAN Be Done!"
Rick

Post by Rick »

Chris, you are correct I asked the question, and as I stated earlier on in the post:

Chris: good advise, i was just looking for some ideas with having to pay all the extra. I keep my dog well fed so I know it is not the nutrition issue. [color=blue]It could be a fungal infection[/color]. Had blood work performed on him a couple of years ago and there was no underlying issues.

But for you to keep on about how other people have mistreated their pets was , I felt, not appropriate.

So the issue is dead and I need no more help!!!!!!
Have a good hunt!

Rick
Boo

Post by Boo »

Well this didn't go well did it?
ch312

Post by ch312 »

lol...tylenol will work wonders on cats :lol: