EXOCET VS PHOENIX

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Broadhead

EXOCET VS PHOENIX

Post by Broadhead »

Excalibur Team,
I finally get to purchase my Crossbow this week! Now trying to decide between the Phoenix and Exocet. Do you feel the Accuracy is the close to the same on these models?
My friend owns the Exomax, i have shot on a few occasions. Personaly it
seems just to high strung, and very loud. (Dont Bash me Exomax owners,
just my feeling)
Also, i dont want the scope. How does everyone feel about the Fiber sites?
I live in Florida, the deer are not that big but the Hogs can grow very large
and tough.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks for the input.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Your going to be Hog hunting with it? Go big or go home. I'd get the Exocet if your hoggin it. if your just hunting deer I'd go with the Phoenix. Just my humble opinion, I know others will have a different one.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Partikle wrote: Just my humble opinion, I know others will have a different one.
:D ... Not from me you won't!...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

LoneWolf wrote:
Partikle wrote: Just my humble opinion, I know others will have a different one.
:D ... Not from me you won't!...
Get the Phoenix at 175LBS it will more then do the job, However if cocking it is no problem go Exocet at 200LBS as a little extra punch and some what of a flater shot sure won't hurt.... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

I look at it this way: Any time you’re hunting something where the tables might turn and it starts hunting you, I want reliability and power.

I'd use my Exomax personally if I was hog hunting and you wouldn't find me in ground blind unless it was a steel vault :wink:
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Broadhead < Do your self a favor , and don`t go any higher than 175 pounds , you want need it , I live here in fla , also and have dropped hogs with only 62 pounds of bow , any think over the 175 and you will be looking for arrows .
Bones

Post by Bones »

franklinm... That 62 pounds had to be with a compound/longbow am I correct? Seeing as the xbow needs more pounds to compensate for the shorter power stroke. It makes the 2 a little more difficult to compare.
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

If this is a small one, just imagine a big one... Get the Exocet!
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=5686
hawg hunter

phoeix for hogs

Post by hawg hunter »

well there are no of thoughts on which xbow to get. my own personal choice is the phoieniix . reasons well most hogs are shot at very short distances. easy to cock in a hurry. easy to handle due to shorter overall length . more power than needed. my wife and i kill numerous hogs since we started using crossbows two years ago. she shoots the phoehix i use an exomag both shot through at twenty yds . main thing to remember is give the hog time to expire wait at least an hour.
GaryL

Re: phoeix for hogs

Post by GaryL »

hawg hunter wrote:well there are no of thoughts on which xbow to get. my own personal choice is the phoieniix . reasons well most hogs are shot at very short distances. easy to cock in a hurry. easy to handle due to shorter overall length . more power than needed. my wife and i kill numerous hogs since we started using crossbows two years ago. she shoots the phoehix i use an exomag both shot through at twenty yds . main thing to remember is give the hog time to expire wait at least an hour.
"DITTO"
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I like my Phoenix with the factory sights. It's very accurate at hunting ranges and sighted in at 25 yards keeps groups well within the kill zone out to just over 30 yards with a "dead-on" hold. If I know the exact distance I can use a little hold over/under for even better accuracy, but for hunting all I really need be concerned with is if it's within my range limitations (32 yards with my sight in.)
As for wild pigs, I've never had a chance to hunt them, but with a properly placed shot the Phoenix should be plenty. With any arrow, placement and broadhead sharpness and durability is everything! I'm sure a big boar hit in the shoulder gristle would be one angry critter with any bow, and one hit through both lungs would be just as dead with the Vixen as the Exomag.
wabi
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

well i wish i could hunt hogs but i live in ONTARIO & i shoot an Exocet175# & i love it , anyway i think you would do fine with any Excalibure crossbow, BUT put a scope on it you will want it , it is so much easier to see the animal & excellent in low light conditions , you will not regret putting a scope on , it kinda means the difference of near the heart OR right in the heart. happy hunting.
Broadhead

Post by Broadhead »

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I am very fond of Crossbows, having
owned one "Way" back in the early 80's. While waiting for the $ to come
through, i researched the heck out this. The Excalibur Crossbows have
really impressed me.
I will be doing a lot of Stalking -Walking with the X-Bow. I want it as light as possible. (No Scope or Bolt on quiver) I will get or fab some kind of
over the shoulder quiver.
Most of my shots will be point blank to 15 maybe 20 yds. I was leaning towards the Phoenix (For its wieght), were i plan to purchase the Exocet and Phoenix are the same price with in just a couple of $.
And im waiting for them to recieve the Xbow with the package setup.
Cocking the Xbow is not a issue. I have used the Xomax without any trouble at all.
Hopefully by the end of next week i will be posting with the New Xbow and
some pics of some very unlucky porkers.
Thanks again.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Well......... tell you what. I've shot a few hogs, both with my Exomag with scope, and vixen with factory optics, with both Xbows I had complete pass throughs. I'm sure a Phoenix which sits right in the middle will do just fine. Place your shots correctly, and let her rip. Since I go after the meat only, the boars I shoot are never over 200 pounds live weight.

Grey Owl